SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 3 February 2016, 16:39
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
Is THIS her? If so, she seems like a gal who has convictions and is hard enough to live up to them....
Yep.

Barker could, apparently, be a huge dick.
Old 3 February 2016, 16:55
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Now that's cool.
It was cool. We have the episode on VHS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog0311 View Post
Steve, I bet that dog ate wet food the rest of it's life.
Indeed he did. The only people food he liked was soft serve from Dairy Queen, and pizza crust.
Old 3 February 2016, 17:07
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidA View Post
Yep.

Barker could, apparently, be a huge dick.
No shit, just ask Adam Sandler.

THE PRICE IS WRONG, BITCH!

They have a subchannel that's been on the air for several years called Buzzr, nothing but game shows from the 50s-80s.

I get a kick out of watching Let's Make a Deal from back then, especially when you look at some of the luxury items that were behind the doors. Damn 21" color TVs almost as big as a car.

Double Dare is a pretty good one, hosted by Alex Trebek before he went on the host Jeopardy.
Old 3 February 2016, 17:19
Been There Done That

Quote:
In the Fall of 2011 the wife and I went out to Cali to visit family. We made a pit stop in LA for a few days since neither of us had spent time there before.

Just for shits and grins we decided to go sit in the audience of 'The Price Is Right'. Next thing we know I get called down as a contestant, win a gigantic pop corn popper cart (which I donated to Duke Children's Hospital), and get on stage. I win my game, spin the wheel, and end up in the showcase. I bid on a Sea Doo jet boat and trip to Mexico, but lost In the end I ended up with over 7K in cash and prizes. Drew Carey was awesome, and the experience was a blast, and quite surreal.

Anyone else have the good fortune to be on a game show?
Awesome Tripod. Any chance of you have a video clip, or a youtube clip of the show when you were on? Do you have the season and episode #? Season 39 0r 40? Date?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 3 February 2016, 18:27
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Awesome Tripod. Any chance of you have a video clip, or a youtube clip of the show when you were on? Do you have the season and episode #? Season 39 0r 40? Date?
I have the entire episode on an external hard drive somewhere. I PM'd you a clip (shitty one) I found on youtube where I lose the showcase.

I was $1471 under with my bid. The chick I was up against was under by freaking $99 and won BOTH showcases. You will see by my reaction that it took me like 10 seconds to figure out I had just gotten bung holed. She was all happy and shit, ran over and hugged me. I wanted to punch her in the face
Old 3 February 2016, 18:33
Been There Done That

^Amazing.

Old 3 February 2016, 21:10
killjoy

Always loved Price is Right.
Had the pleasure to work with them back in the 90s. I put together a deal with CBS to feature a product of my company's on the show, the first of it's kind on the market at the time. Got a nice picture of the crew with Bob Barker's autograph in my office for it.

Would love to be on the show someday. Congrats on your experience, Tripod.
Old 3 February 2016, 21:22
Legbreaker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
No, but I'm planning on taking the test for "Jeopardy"...
I took the test during a "Brain Bus" visit to St. Louis, and passed. Then they have you do a mock game there. I won. I was then given an information sheet, where I was informed that I needed to go for another mock game at the local TV studio. If I was selected then, I would then have to pay my own way out to LA and stay for a week, with no guarantee of appearing on the show.

I passed on the offer. I was unemployed, and having trouble making my payments at the time. Plenty of time to do it, but no money. I wouldn't have wasted 2 days of my time if I knew I would have to pay my way out there.
Old 4 February 2016, 06:32
Confirmed User

Quote:

Anyone else have the good fortune to be on a game show?
My wife was on Jeopardy and "Who wants to be a Millionaire".

Kinda funny, the Jeopardy show was the first time I met her parents. And yeah, we all to pay our own way. She would have won the show that day but didn't bet enough money. She did win us a free trip to Jamaica, which worked out nicely!

Millionaire she just pretty much bombed. Was back when Meredith Vieira was the MC. But they paid for our flight and hotel in NY, so another free trip!

She tried for Wheel of Fortune but the crowd at the tryouts were just too crazy, scared her off.
Old 4 February 2016, 06:43
Shakin' the bush Boss

I worked with a guy who was on Price is Right circa mid 90's. He actually won the showcase showdown. Said the tax on what he won was astronomical. I used to beat my wife at Jeopardy every night, but she's from WV, so it's like beating up on your little sister.
Old 4 February 2016, 07:58
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
II used to beat my wife at Jeopardy every night, but she's from WV, so it's like beating up on your little sister.
Nope, that's just too easy, I'm not going there. Spouses are sort of off limits.

I called in once for the test to appear on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire when that was a new show. I got all the questions right and my name went into a pool for callbacks, but I never got the call.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 4 February 2016, 12:28
Been There Done That

Guy in the Teams, G.P. got on price is right, and never made it up on stage, we laughed our asses off with his stupid bids, he was one of the first ones called, and never got up on stage, didn't win jack shit lol...
Old 4 February 2016, 17:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specboatteam View Post
...and never got up on stage, didn't win jack shit lol...
Not even a complimentary can of Easy Off oven cleaner?

Tripod, how heavy is that wheel you spin to make it to the showcase?

It always looks like you've got to put some effort into getting it going pretty good (some people don't even get through the required one revolution). Did you really get it going good, or were you trying to time it somehow to land on a decent amount?
Old 4 February 2016, 20:41
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Not even a complimentary can of Easy Off oven cleaner?

Tripod, how heavy is that wheel you spin to make it to the showcase?

It always looks like you've got to put some effort into getting it going pretty good (some people don't even get through the required one revolution). Did you really get it going good, or were you trying to time it somehow to land on a decent amount?
Dude - yes that wheel is heavy. If you ever notice you will see Drew give the old ladies a little help to get it to go around. I went second, and had to beat a 90 from the first guy. I spin a 45 and then spin a 50 on my second spin. Lol. The third person then busted. I about shit my pants that I was going to the showcase.
Old 5 February 2016, 04:04
killjoy

On that note, some math behind the big spin: It's best to hold at 70 if you're #1(first to spin). Best to reach at least 55 if you happen to be #2 and beating the first guy. #3 should only roll again if they are tied with the other two at 65 -55 or obviously have not won yet.
Old 5 February 2016, 08:48
Been There Done That

I really want to see the video of Tripod screaming and waving his hands in the air as he is running down the aisle after his name is called, "XXXX XXXXXX come on down!"

Old 5 February 2016, 09:28
Administrator

That's not what your mother said last night Alex!
Old 5 February 2016, 10:28
Confirmed User

Certainly I am not the only one to be thinking of this in this discussion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImaYMoTi2g8

SNL Jeopardy!
Old 5 February 2016, 15:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Look. Don'tTouch. View Post
On that note, some math behind the big spin: It's best to hold at 70 if you're #1(first to spin). Best to reach at least 55 if you happen to be #2 and beating the first guy. #3 should only roll again if they are tied with the other two at 65 -55 or obviously have not won yet.
That's interesting. Are there actual numbers and data that have been compiled from all the years the show has been on to support that strategy?
Old 5 February 2016, 15:21
killjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
That's interesting. Are there actual numbers and data that have been compiled from all the years the show has been on to support that strategy?
Rafael Tenorio of DePaul University and Timothy Cason of Purdue University did some work on it and you read details here.

However, on it's face you can look at it with simplicity like this: You are 1/3 of the people. 2/3 against you. If you're first up, you need to beat 66%. So you need a 70 to be in the win zone. As second up, you need to beat 50%, so you need 55 or more. If it's a tie and reroll is coming up with 2 others, odds go back 66% where you want to be at 70 or more.

Our new posting rules