SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 9 February 2016, 09:07
Confirmed User

Zika

look like it is spreading to Southern states (TX, FL)

Zika Virus: Global Health Considerations, CRS Insight, February 2, 2016

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/IN10433.pdf
Old 9 February 2016, 10:00
Confirmed User

Bring back DDT - goodbye Zika
Old 9 February 2016, 10:09
Bitter old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemTech View Post
Bring back DDT - goodbye Zika
Yep,found some at a barn sale shit works great.
Old 9 February 2016, 10:16
Been There Done That

If there was ever one species that needs to be wiped off the face of the earth, the mosquito is it. The animal that is responsible for more deaths worldwide more so than any other. Came real close to killing me over 5 years ago. And had two who worked with me that did die.

Scary stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 9 February 2016, 13:56
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
If there was ever one species that needs to be wiped off the face of the earth, the mosquito is it.
Mosquito is a Spanish word. Therefore, you are racist.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 9 February 2016, 14:11
Confirmed User

Bring back DDT. Good bye Zika, good bye bedbugs, good bye pests.....
Old 9 February 2016, 14:23
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

LOL at the idea of DDT as a miracle for resolving mosquito problems.

DDT has not been banned, simply restricted. It has had success and like any chemical, resistance has occurred.

DDT is used by many countries where they could give a flying shit about the health of their people or fauna -- and gee, guess what? Oh, they have mosquitos. LOL, go figure.

There is some writing on the topic of eradicating these insects from the earth. We could probably pull it off. I don't think we know enough about our planet that it would be wise to do so....
Old 9 February 2016, 14:34
Confirmed User

So what's the danger to the general non-preggers population?
Old 9 February 2016, 15:38
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Quote:
If there was ever one species that needs to be wiped off the face of the earth, the mosquito is it. The animal that is responsible for more deaths worldwide more so than any other. Came real close to killing me over 5 years ago. And had two who worked with me that did die.

Scary stuff.
I don't know if this is true or not, but a report on one of the network evening news yesterday stated that out of the 3500 or so species of mosquitoes, only 3 of them are capable of spreading any kind of disease.

Of course, considering how many of the damn things there are and how prolific they can be when it comes to breeding, that probably doesn't matter that much.

It's still considered the deadliest animal on the planet, I think.

As far as getting rid of them, I thought that laser that was developed and was in a prototype stage was pretty novel, although it's probably impractical in the long term.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYXPqrXZ1eU
Old 9 February 2016, 15:39
micro-aggressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post
So what's the danger to the general non-preggers population?
It can be transmitted via money shot to a female.
So a mosquito bite in Brazil for me, may equal a baby with a tiny head 9 months later.

Last edited by SpudWrench; 9 February 2016 at 15:40. Reason: grabbed quote
Old 9 February 2016, 16:07
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I don't know if this is true or not, but a report on one of the network evening news yesterday stated that out of the 3500 or so species of mosquitoes, only 3 of them are capable of spreading any kind of disease.

Of course, considering how many of the damn things there are and how prolific they can be when it comes to breeding, that probably doesn't matter that much.

As far as getting rid of them, I thought that laser that was developed and was in a prototype stage was pretty novel, although it's probably impractical in the long term.

Yes, there are only a few that spread malaria, and in places like Asia they only hang out in deep forest.

Of course Dengue fever is another bad one, and that can come into cities as well.

According to a good friend of mine, who does malaria research for a living, for the US govt., DDT would not have much effect on them. She is working on other means of control and doing research regarding this.

Old 9 February 2016, 16:11
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post

Good graphic.

Old 9 February 2016, 16:22

How the fuck does one be killed by a snail?

Edit: Oh, Schistosomiasis......
Old 9 February 2016, 16:29
Confirmed User

So can the mosquito found in US carry this virus if it bites an infected person or is it the same one found in SA or Caribbean countries?

Have read some interesting articles on the use of DDT and Pyrethrins. Seems that DDT works in certain apps and Pyrethins work in others. South Africa experienced a species of mosquito that did develop a resistance to pyrethrins and DDT helped them knock it back. I would imagine like every other insecticide that application of said is what makes it effective and like any other pest they develop resistance.

All I know is when my neighbor catches me peeing in his goldfish pond I'm claiming "Zika Skeeter Eradication Program".
Old 9 February 2016, 16:35
Been There Done That

Problem with mosquitoes/malaria is they adapt, overcome, and evolve very rapidly.

That was always my fear. Almost died of Malaria, and so when back in Malaria infected areas always had a dose of Melarone on me, if caught again. But the fear is, you get malaria again and go to treat it. But over the last year or two it has developed resistance, so Melarone no longer works. Or you are taking Doxy to prevent, but that does not work either. Just like has happened in the past with other treatments.

And taking Doxy over a long period of time is not really good for you either.

Old 9 February 2016, 17:31
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
YP
Locks and keys Crazy how nature evolves to defeat the the keys we create by creating another lock.

As for the OP, once I saw that it was discovered so close to the US I knew it was only a matter of time, I just didn't expect it to be this fast.
Old 10 February 2016, 17:51
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudWrench View Post
It can be transmitted via money shot to a female.
So a mosquito bite in Brazil for me, may equal a baby with a tiny head 9 months later.
That doesn't concern me. This does:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/zika-disease-another-reason-to-hate-mosquitoes/

Thats what I wanted to know. Now I'm more concerned.
Old 10 February 2016, 19:30
Confirmed User

It'll be interesting to see if the summer Olympics spreads the crap out of this. I think I remember reading that it's not terribly common in Rio, but regardless, loads of people traveling to Brazil from all over the world and then returning home can't be a good thing. Either way. This turns the swarms of mosquitos in Corpus from an annoyance to an actual concern.
Old 11 February 2016, 15:06
Darwin Award Presenter

Update: The CDC now says Zika is expected to spread upwards into the US. And as for transmission, they have already logged one case of sexual transmission. I think, just like Ebola that there is far greater that remains unknown than known.
Old 11 February 2016, 15:08
Darwin Award Presenter

Sorry, forgot the link.

http://www.cdc.gov/zika/geo/united-states.html

Our new posting rules