SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 18 October 2002, 09:32
Confirmed User

Need bonafidis confirmation

Greetings, first post (thanks Reaper)...

Received this from a buddy in San Diego. So far, I can't find anyone who can confirm this gentleman's claim to fame. Thought maybe one of you might know him (or might be able to tell whether his background would stand up to a good BI).

He spoke at a Chamber of Commerce breakfast in San Diego last week - and you know how many guys claim to have been assigned to SOG. According to his bio, he was there a couple years before I hit the ground; I've never heard of him. Below is a copy of his bio...

Sounds pretty fishy to me.

Lemme know...

~~~~~~~~~~~~

J. Stryker Meyer

J. Stryker Meyer lives in Oceanside with his wife and five children, two of whom are currently in college. He has been at the North County Times/Blade Citizen since October, 1993. He is presently the Community News editor at the North County Times.

Before that, he spent 8 years at the San Diego Union Tribune and 10 years at the Trenton Times in Trenton, NJ. He had 3 1/2 years in the Army, with two tours of duty with the Special Forces Green Berets conducting top secret missions into Laos, Cambodia and North Vietnam during the Vietnam War. Meyer recounts a day in the Vietnam War:

“During the Vietnam War, more than 3.2 million Americans served in South Vietnam. Of that number approximately 25,000 men were in U.S. Army Special Forces -- the Green Berets. Of those men, approximately 2000 served in America's Secret War. This secret war was conducted under the auspices of the Military Assistance Command Vietnam -- Studies and Observation Group.
When I arrived in S. Vietnam in April '68, there were six secret Forward Operating Bases where the Green Berets trained indigenous personnel, including Chinese Nungs, Cambodians, montagnard tribesmen and South Vietnamese nationals to conduct top secret missions into Cambodia, Laos and
North Vietnam.

At the time, no American government official -- military or civilian,
discussed the secret war or acknowledged that one existed. In my case, the day I arrived at FOB 1 in Phu Bai, a reconnaissance team boarded a helicopter for a mission in Laos. It disappeared, never to be heard from again. To this day, the Americans are listed as MIA. I joined the reformed team which was called Spike Team Idaho. After a few months of intense training, which included live-fire weapons training, reaction drills, conducting wiretaps and preparing for helicopter extractions, ST Idaho
began running missions. On my first target in Laos, during the afternoon of our second day on the ground our 6-man team made contact with soldiers from the North Vietnamese Army. We were in contact with them for several hours.

At one point, we killed so many enemy soldiers that the NVA began stacking the dead bodies and firing at us from behind the human stacks. At last light of day, a Vietnamese-piloted helicopter hovered in thick grass waiting for our small team to get to it. As it lifted off the landing zone, I fired my last bullet and tossed my last hand grenade at the enemy.

This was just one day in America's secret war, a war where the reconnaissance teams sustained a casualty rate of more than 100 %. In April 2001, the Army awarded the Presidential Unit Citation to all the men who served in SOG, nearly 30 years after the secret war was shut down in 1972.

During my two tours in Vietnam, I received a Purple Heart, two Bronze Stars with 'V' Devices for valor, an Air Medal and several lesser awards.”

~~~~~~~~~

De Oppresso Liber
CC
Old 18 October 2002, 11:10
RangerRuss
Visitor

Sorry I can't help out on the question of his bona fides, but this type of bio doesn't ring true for many of those men who did serve w/SOG. Most of them only tell 'war stories' like this one in the company of fellow travelers while under the alkafluence of incohol. They don't publicize these types of exploits in such melodramatic fashion for people who have no frame of reference thru which to view these experiences. So for that reason alone I'd be pretty skeptical.

But then again, this guy is a newspaper weenie. He should know all about research and digging up facts. Surely he wouldn't be so stupid as to make wild ass claims like that and risk losing his credibility and very probably his career, knowing that anybody could check up on his background at any time...
Old 18 October 2002, 11:31
Sharky
Visitor

Thumbs up

I believe Doc will be able to help you out with this one.
Old 18 October 2002, 11:38
Just A Girl

Oh Hell Yeah! He's the REAL DEAL. That's John "Tilt" Meyer, yes sir and he ran recon in SOG.

Jennifer Martinez sends
"I believe this Muslim proliferation is prophecy. These people are the Anti Christ and the great holy war of Revelations is just beginning. They are the greatest threat that mankind has ever faced." - D. L. Mathers
Old 18 October 2002, 11:50
Just A Girl

http://www.scarface-usmc.org/MACV-SOG.htm

If you scroll down towards the bottom, you will see a letter from my good friend LTC. Bill Shelton, USASF (Ret), (Commander of FOB1, Phu Bai 68-69) there is also a photo of Bill, Tilt, Major An and Cliff Newman. Col. Shelton's email address is also there and if you don't believe me, you can drop him an email.

Scarface was Marine air assets assigned to SOG.

De Oppresso Liber,
Jennifer Martinez sends
"I believe this Muslim proliferation is prophecy. These people are the Anti Christ and the great holy war of Revelations is just beginning. They are the greatest threat that mankind has ever faced." - D. L. Mathers
Old 18 October 2002, 14:56
RangerRuss
Visitor

Can I take my foot out now? I'm done chewing on it. Or maybe someone would like to borrow said foot to give me a swift kick in the ass.

That is one helluva site. Quite the memorial to a band of men like no other...
Old 18 October 2002, 15:48
Confirmed User

yotanka seems to have quite the intel hookup there.
Old 18 October 2002, 15:52
Confirmed User

Thanks, folks... I received the following from a SOG-vet buddy in Texas:

~~~~~~~~

"How goes it? All is well out here.

That guy is VERY legit (pre- "CCN" FOB's- recon co.) His name is John Meyer and works for a newspaper in the San Diego area.

He and Cliff Newman are Buds so if anybody wants to dig deeper, contact Cliff.

Take care Pard and PLEASE pass on my regards to XXXXX XXXXX and ALL the other good M.F.'s out there."

~~~~~~~~~

His confirmation, and that of the site above, confirms that John is on the up-and-up. That's good news; there are so many phony MF'rs out there that it ain't funny.

Tracy, as in the past, I'll buy, but you need to bring yo' happy ass to Fort Bragg to help me consume it... GB Club, mate - on me!

BSBD,
CC
Old 18 October 2002, 20:49
Confirmed User

Quote:
Remember that Red, White and Blue crap? Or Spider's PBR?
Damn right I remember it... Nasty, but hey, it was cheap!.. Not sure what ol' Spiderman is downing nowadays...

Quote:
"We are Morons Proud and True!"
Buddy, now you're showing your age. Too bad Charlie Knaeble isn't still around; I believe he would have probably retired as the SGM of the Army..

Those were great days.

Good hearing from you.

CC
Old 18 October 2002, 21:38
Just A Girl

SOG-CCS Vet,

I had a dear friend who was in CCS and I was just wondering if you knew him, MSGT. Dale Libby. He was a Medic.

Jennifer Martinez sends
-ar-
Old 18 October 2002, 21:45
Confirmed User

Yotanka, "Dale Libby".. damned if that doesn't ring a bell. But I can't say for certain if he was there at the same time I was. It's been 32 years, and as you'll find out some day, the memory fades over time.

My brain keeps going back to Dale Denke, who was killed while I was in country (he wasn't at South, I believe Dale was from CCN). His father couldn't handle Dale's death; ended up committing suicide at Dale's grave site in 1972.

Broke my heart...

De Oppresso Liber,
CC
Old 18 October 2002, 21:52
Just A Girl

Hey there RangerRuss,

Not a problem about your post and you certainly don't deserve a kick in the ass. It's not a big deal. I know a few of Tilt's friends and have exchanged several emails with him in the past year, it just so happened that when the question hit the board, I knew the man in question.

Tilt has an amazing gift for telling stories, true stories.... he is a very talented writer. If anyone has the time, you might want to check out the below links. These are true accounts written by Tilt which he personally experienced. He has a way of making one feel like one is there.

http://www.macvsog.org/spectre_over_laos.htm
http://www.macvsog.org/iwas_there.htm
http://www.macvsog.org/never_on_sunday.htm
http://www.macvsog.org/shot_out_of_laos.htm
http://www.macvsog.org/nva_through_the_wire.htm

De Oppresso Liber,
Jennifer Martinez sends
Old 19 October 2002, 00:15
Authorized Personnel

J Stryker Meyer

Damn, I live in Oside and have read numerous articles written by him and they are incredible!

I am fortunate enough to live where I can get the NC Times and his articles (when he writes them)!

Take care
Old 19 October 2002, 12:44
RangerRuss
Visitor

Damn, what a man. My respect meter is pegged in the red...
Old 19 October 2002, 13:36
Just A Girl

Hi SOG-CCS Vet,

Yes, Dale Dehnke was running recon on CCN's RT Alaska when he was KIA. Another team member, 1LT. Danny Entrican, is missing, presumed captured. His is one of the POW bracelets I wear.

That's awful about Dale's Father, committing suicide, and at the gravesite..... A double tragedy for the Dehnke Family.

Jennifer Martinez sends
Old 20 October 2002, 05:19
Been There Done That

" a war where the reconnaissance teams sustained a casualty rate of more than 100 %"

Is this new math? I suspect it means guys were wounded more than once. However, my dear wife (who's English and knowledge of the military isn't so good) got a kick out of American mathematical abilities with this one.
Old 20 October 2002, 08:57
Doc
Visitor

Yes

"I suspect it means guys were wounded more than once."

Correct. There were quite a few men who had multiple PH's working those Teams.

I worked for a PA who was a Medic on one. He was one of six Medics to arrive in country. By years end three were KIA.
Old 20 October 2002, 09:21
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally posted by Jatekos
[BHowever, my dear wife got a kick out of American mathematical abilities with this one... [/B]
Ahem.... our guys got a 'kick' out of it too...

Our new posting rules