SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 4 January 2008, 14:03
Quiet Professional

Nate Chapman Remembered

Six years ago today Nate Chapman was Killed in Action while serving in Afghanistan.
http://www.groups.sfahq.com/1st/chap...n_ross_kia.htm
I had the pleasure of getting to know Nate while we went through SOTIC together. He was one of those guys that had everyone laughing, no matter what the circumstances.

An Example

We went through SOTIC during the Halloween timeframe. So we are at the range shooting snaps and movers ( for those that do not know, this requires for you to walk behind a big ass burm with a long wood pole that has a target fixed to the top of it that someone is shooting at).Half the class is in the butts (behind the burm). Nate gets this idea to make a special “Halloween” target and proceeds to blow up one of the HUGE orange trash bags from the range box then he grabs a roll of black target stickers and makes it into a huge Jack O’Lantern! He puts it onto his target poll and waits for the next call for targets up.
The call comes and Nate raises the mighty jack o lantern up for all to see…..silence…..no shots …right about the time we start to think that we may be in a little trouble; a hail of gunfire rips the jack O’ lantern into hundreds of pieces. Everyone was laughing so hard you could actually hear the laughter from the shooters line (long ways away).

Nate, I will hoist a drink in your honor this evening…you are missed.

RIP

...so are we just "at odds"
Old 5 January 2008, 18:44
Scotty's Mommy

Thumbs up

Griffin - Thank you so much for telling us a great story about a guy who must have been one of the best. Stories like the one you posted bring people closer to us and make them seem like real, true to life men rather than simply some name that we know and pray for God Speed to and offer comforting thoughts to his family.

I wish more people would share their memories of good friends lost. As long as we remember them they will never truly be gone. Many of us know guys like Nate; men of action with a fine tuned sense of humor; men of honor who are loved and missed by those who knew them best.

Thank you again for sharing this glimpse into the life of someone who gave all.
Old 5 January 2008, 19:31
Embrace the Suck

Thanks for that story, I feel like I knew him....

Sean
Old 5 January 2008, 22:04
Been There, Done That

I attended SFC Nathan Ross Chapman's funeral and the wake after it at the Chapter SFA XVI Team House.

RIP SFC Chapman!
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.- T.E. Lawrence, "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom"
Old 5 January 2008, 23:22
Greenhat
Visitor

SFA Chapter 3 is the Nate Chapman Memorial Chapter.

RIP Nate.
Old 6 January 2008, 02:08
Confirmed User

Awesome story, thanks for sharing.
RIP SFC Chapman

I'm more Muj than the Muj.
Mr. S (OIF 2 An Anbar)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 6 January 2008, 05:42
American Infidel

A buddy of mine named Hank was a Team member with Nate C. God Bless him and may he watch over us all. Thanks for the story.....

"I'll blow a hole in your face then go inside and sleep like a baby." -Walt Kowalski
Old 6 January 2008, 13:30
Been There Done That

RIP Nate....

I've been in the Butts and apart from spray glueing spiders and flies to the wall, Nate's imagination makes for a great story.....

~D-6606~
Old 6 January 2008, 22:49
Retired Paratrooper, 1 ea

I remember a very young PFC Nate Chapman at A 2/75. Somewhere I have a picture of Chapman Hall at the CJOSTF-A.
Rest in Peace Nate
Old 11 January 2008, 08:12
My ERB's on SOCNET

I didn't know Nate...

But I was tied to him nonetheless. We were in Kharshi-Khanabad awaiting our execute order. Already did our planning, had a mission number, knew we were headed for Khowst, and knew it was bad shit all around. We knew also that a team had been infilled to establish a US presence. Come to find out that Nate was there, and how he died. I've been able to pass that story on to some 1st Grp bubbas who never did find out how there friend left them, and it seemed to help. RIP Brother.

ODA 571
Chapman airfield, Spring 2002
Old 18 January 2008, 21:00
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
I remember a very young PFC Nate Chapman at A 2/75. Somewhere I have a picture of Chapman Hall at the CJOSTF-A.
Rest in Peace Nate
Here's the one you sent me, Amigo.

RLTW
EP
Old 14 January 2008, 20:01
Been There Done That

thanks for the link

I was at Chapman airfield in 2003 and worked the Khowst bowl area

For the short time we had in the rear, Chapman Airfield is mostly what we had to call home...running around the airfield...wondering what types of sodomy was going on in the ANA camp...watch the SEAL team 3 guys cowboy it up...and Dishka the goat

When ever anything is named for anyone I wonder how it came to be

I had always wondered.....now I know
Old 15 January 2008, 10:43
Been There Done That

RIP Nate

Griffin that is an awesome story and thanks so much for sharing that with all of us. May we always remember our fallen brethren for all the good times they brought to our lives and the memories they send us to drive on with.

Thanks to a board like SOCNET where we can get together in the "team room", "squad bay" or whatever your gathering place maybe...but now we can gather from all reaches around the globe online and share our stories and experiences and continue to keep alive the memories of those who left this earth before us.

RIP SFC Chapman
Old 17 January 2008, 00:38
Quiet Professional

I was on 35 with Nate in Okie. Funniest dude I'd ever met and totally commited to his job. He taught me more about commo in a few months than I'd learned in the previous ten years as a non echo. He left a hole on the team when he headed back to Lewis...and an even bigger hole later that still hasn't been filled.
Old 18 January 2008, 20:55
BTDT

Somehow I missed this thread, but I did not miss hoisting a drink to Nate on Jan. 4th. Nate was in my squad at 2/75. He was a Ranger's Ranger, and just an all around great guy. I wear a KIA bracelet with his name on it every day.
Rest In Peace, Brother...you are greatly missed.

RLTW
EP

That's Nate below on the left, as a young stud Private.
Old 21 January 2008, 14:41
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthPig
. I wear a KIA bracelet with his name on it every day.
I would like to get one of those,
where did you get it?

Old 21 January 2008, 19:58
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN
I would like to get one of those,
where did you get it?
I actually have two. One is copper, and it came from www.thebattlezone.com. The other is stainless, and I don't recall where it came from. Both say the same thing:

SFC Nathan R. Chapman
1ST SFG * 04JAN02 * AFGHANISTAN

I know at least one of them was a custom order. It seems like the other vendor had a list of KIA by conflicts, and I just selected the name.

Hope this helps.

RLTW
EP
Old 19 January 2008, 11:49
Retired Paratrooper, 1 ea

Thanks EP!
Old 2 January 2009, 10:01
Quiet Professional

Another Year....
You are still missed my friend

They have put a statue of Nate in his Hometown of Georgetown TX as part of a larger memorial dedicated to those lost in the War On Terror. I hope to get out there and see it someday.

Rest Easy Nate Chapman, you are not forgoten!

To his family, I am still deeply sorry for your loss.

Old 2 January 2009, 12:20
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN View Post
Another Year....
You are still missed my friend

They have put a statue of Nate in his Hometown of Georgetown TX as part of a larger memorial dedicated to those lost in the War On Terror. I hope to get out there and see it someday.
Do you know where the statue is? Is it at the town square? I live about 2 hours from there, and I'd love to see it.

Here's a pic of Nate when we were at 2nd Ranger Battalion. That's Nate on the left. I'm behind the Ranger Rock, in the center.

Rest Easy, Amigo. We'll link up again.
RLTW
EP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maggot Squad.jpg (16.5 KB, 527 views)

Our new posting rules