Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 2 October 2017, 10:38
Been There Done That

Ever thought about a 'cyclo-cross' bike? I bought a Motobecane cyclo-cross bike while in A'stan and ended up shipping it home because I fell in love with the thing. 27 speed, straight handle bar, with 700cm tires with mini nubs in the center with some larger nobs toward the outside. Ideal for trail/road riding when there is a mix of gravel, sand , and pavement. Hydraulic disc brakes, trigger shifters- cant stand the SRAM twist shifters.

Here's a current one although it is a 24 speed-

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...waAqnzEALw_wcB

I rode mine 7 days a week, to work and back and at least 25K a day for exercise. Geeky, but I have a bookrack/pannier rack on the back to carry my 'oh shit' stuff- tire repair kit, extra tube, pump, tools, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
The weather is just a couple weeks from cooling off here, and I want to start doing some trail riding again. Being in a semi-retired financial situation, I'm leaning toward a "best-bang-for-the-buck" lightweight used bike, even if I have to tune it up or throw some parts at it.

The problem is I've been doing the "urban commute" for so many years (paved bike trails) that I gave away my (heavy) old vintage Trek a couple years ago and got a cheap skinny-tire commuter (hyper-spinfit700c). Now that I've lost weight, I want to get out on some dirt again! A good compliment to the Dirtbikes (Hondas ), and we have some amazing mountain trails an hour or two away up around Sedona, White Mountains, etc. Good to go up and workout at 7000'asl! Also a good compliment to the daily roadwork, and very conducive to the Wildlife Photography. Plus, just GTF out of the city.

But I'm clueless about the current stuff to watch for, and to avoid. Never had any "active suspension" so not sure if that's necessary. Do have a strong desire for as lightweight as possible (of course), after humping that old 1990s Trek around for so many years.

Any words of wisdom or advice on $10K bikes to try to find for $50 at garage sales... I am in the garage sale capital of the US.

Any brand-names that I would KNOW I'm getting something good, even if just a foundation to build on? Can't go wrong with a __xxx__?
Old 2 October 2017, 10:49
Been There Done That

Keep checking the thrift shops on a nearby military base- my son scored a Giant and a Trek for $50 for BOTH at Fort Belvoir. I swear he has a golden horseshoe stuck in his 4th point of contact with his luck!

Quote:
I think I'm good for now. Just need to put in the miles (and I have been...I'm 100% addicted again!). I'm also finding out again that the walking/running roadwork does not necessarily directly translate to increased bike miles, so this is turning into a GREAT compliment to that. And it's more friendly to the feet (healing neuropathy nerve damage from previous type2 issues) to alternate the roadwork with bike days instead of beating the shit out of them every single day. I'm taking Devildoc's wise advice.

I know there are nicer bikes out there ... and I had my eye on a nice new $2500 carbon framed rig from my local shop with all the trimmings. But, because of my strong desire for lightweight...(and the GTFO timeframe) I probably didn't even really give a full suspension bike a fair chance.

But, I'm happy! I'm <$500 into this, and I've ended up with a couple reliable HT's that are exactly what I was looking for. A mint condition <35lb XC bike for jeep trail photography, and a mint condition <25lb technical for (eventually) more serious Sedona stuff.

I'll still keep my eye out for the fancy carbon 29er to fall into my "trapline" for a song (LOL!), but right now it's all about GTFO and getting the miles! And, of course the photos and videos! I'll still probably rent a full suspension (with a proper guide) just to try it out for Sedona's technical stuff, but after humping that heavy old steel frame rigid around for years, these lightweight HTs both feel pretty sweet! Like pushing around a feather in comparison.
Old 2 October 2017, 11:50
#BlackRiflesMatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
Keep checking the thrift shops on a nearby military base- my son scored a Giant and a Trek for $50 for BOTH at Fort Belvoir. I swear he has a golden horseshoe stuck in his 4th point of contact with his luck!
That's like mine. I never believed much in the whole spiritual thing until moving here. I just figured I was always super lucky. Positive attitude.

But it's gotten downright eerie about how I'll start to look for whatever, and within a week or two it falls into my lap. LOL!

I guess maybe it does "scientifically" tie into the whole quantum thing about the "observer effect" changing the reality. Now, if I could just find that specific alternate universe where Kate Hudson falls in love with me, and moves to the retirement community to spend the time to ride my old GT and hang out with me (etc...)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observer_effect_(physics))

That being said... I'm a SERIOUSLY blessed and lucky dude. Most about what's truly important I've learned from these old(er) retired guys on the golf course.

...and from Skeeter Skelton stories growing up.

Last edited by Tycon; 2 October 2017 at 12:17.
Old 9 October 2017, 01:45
#BlackRiflesMatter

Hey folks, I wanted to thank everyone's input and help getting squared away. Hell, I've even built a small designated "bike shop" in one corner of the garage. LOL!

I also wanted to share a great smartphone app called GeoTracker. I looked at a few of the designated bike apps, and instead I really wanted something almost one-touch simple. This thing does the trick.

Yeah, I know I've got some work to do on ^pace! Seems those roadwork miles don't necessarily directly transfer to the bike. LOL!

This was a quick test of the app, and I really like it.

Last edited by Tycon; 9 October 2017 at 01:54.
Old 9 October 2017, 03:45
Confirmed User

Quote:
Hey folks, I wanted to thank everyone's input and help getting squared away. Hell, I've even built a small designated "bike shop" in one corner of the garage. LOL!

I also wanted to share a great smartphone app called GeoTracker. I looked at a few of the designated bike apps, and instead I really wanted something almost one-touch simple. This thing does the trick.

Yeah, I know I've got some work to do on ^pace! Seems those roadwork miles don't necessarily directly transfer to the bike. LOL!

This was a quick test of the app, and I really like it.
Fantastic, enjoy!
Old 11 October 2017, 00:48
#BlackRiflesMatter

The Ironman averages (for the winners on the bike) are around 26mph, and even the "average" finishers are around 17mph (I know, much longer course and not on a Mountain Bike! LOL!) But, I've been using those numbers to focus on improving my (pathetic)^ milage times on the bike, and have neglected going up and hitting the rec-center for my rowing.

I really want a Concept 2 or Hydro, but if I wear-out the shock on this one I'll be happy for now! It ain't nothing fancy, but the computer/timer/stroke counter works on it. For $20.

AND, it leaves me with...no excuses.

Last edited by Tycon; 11 October 2017 at 00:55.

Our new posting rules