Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 27 December 2016, 20:52
Been There Done That

Ranger Age Requirement

Hey guys I've a cousin that wants to enlist and go to Ranger School and then to a Ranger Batt. He's being told by his recruiter you have to be 21 to go to Ranger School. I retired in '05 is this now a requirement?
Old 27 December 2016, 22:01
Been There Done That

You do not have to be 21 to attend Ranger School. I am not aware of a minimum age. If one is of enlistment age, then one is of age to go to Ranger School.

My son graduated a few months ago from Ranger School at age 19.
Old 27 December 2016, 22:30
Been There Done That

Though a long time ago, I attended and graduated Ranger School as a 19 year old. I don' think that has changed, as many in the Ranger Bats that are being sent are 19 - 20 years olds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 28 December 2016, 11:28
Been There Done That

The Regiment doesn't/didn't have the same restrictions as the Regular Army.

back when, big Army said SPC/E-4 to go to school. most of us went as PFC/PV2 even.

if he wants to go to the Regiment, he might want to research the flow and how it goes. Ranger School isn't a qualifier and isn't in and of itself a requirement if he's entering off the street.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 28 December 2016, 16:24
In Vino Veritas

Straight up lie. You have to be 18 for an Option 40 contract, or 18 when you graduate RASP. Since Ranger regiment is made up of a lot of 18 yo's, who are supposed to attend Ranger School within about a year of graduating RASP, I find this recruiters information highly "dubious".
Old 28 December 2016, 19:22
Been There Done That

I graduated from Ranger School at age 19. The recruiter is wrong. If you're old enough to enlist in the military, you're old enough to attend the course.

If you're tough enough to go as an old man, you can do that too. I believe 49 is the current upper age record. I knew a 42 year-old Class Distinguished Honor Graduate.
Old 29 December 2016, 06:45
Been There Done That

Doesn't sound correct
Graduated 3-91 at 20

The grit and mental strength required to get the tab in ones 40's...way, way more impressive than at 20, that's for sure.
Old 29 December 2016, 10:02
Been There Done That

Am sure glad I got to go as a 20 yr. old PVT-2 , before all the restrictions!!!!! Having to wait till I was old enough to legally drink would have been so fucking gay!
Old 29 December 2016, 16:13
Been There Done That

This entire thread is retarded as is said Cousins approach..

Tell your cousin to see how he can enlist and get into Regiment.

Worry about the TRADOC side of it later.
Old 29 December 2016, 16:22
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by schibbs View Post
Am sure glad I got to go as a 20 yr. old PVT-2 , before all the restrictions!!!!! Having to wait till I was old enough to legally drink would have been so fucking gay!
Or you could go as 33 y/o Jarhead and sing the Marines Hymn every f'ing morning during RI changeover. Hooah Sarn't!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7-00.jpg (46.2 KB, 199 views)
Old 29 December 2016, 18:37
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by schibbs View Post
Yep. Got me a Ranger Tab, but still had to wait over a year until I could legally order a beer to go with my congratulatory steak dinner.

Just like now.....can you imagine how the 18 - 20 year old feels, 11 Bang Bang or 0311 who just finished a hump in Asscrackistan coming back to the USA. But, he cannot order a beer to go with his steak at the Outback?

Old 29 December 2016, 18:41
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
Or you could go as 33 y/o Jarhead and sing the Marines Hymn every f'ing morning during RI changeover. Hooah Sarn't!
Well, when I was in Ranger School, the RIs loved to call Marines "Sailors". LMAO. We had G. Gordon Liddy's son in my platoon. Boy, did they fck with him. "Come here sailor!" , "Not a Sailor sir!, I am a MARINE!". "You are in the Dept. of the Navy, thus you are a sailor!".

He yelled "MARINE CORPS", on the tab drop into the lake (Instead of yelling RANGER". He got pretty smoked for that. All in fun. He was an outstanding student. Had a couple of enlisted from Anglico as well in my platoon. One was my Ranger Buddy, in my squad, until I got recycled.

Old 29 December 2016, 21:57
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
"You are in the Dept. of the Navy, thus you are a sailor!".
Yea, it's called the Men's Department, and our SARC's are way better Marine's than they are Sailors. A good friend, Vince Sabastianski was in that class with Liddy's kid. I just called his wife to send me a pic of Vince, Kid and G. Vince passed in the 9 Dec 99 helo crash. I'll post once she sends. S/F.
Old 30 December 2016, 23:35
Been There Done That

Your cousin's recruiter is incorrect, as you've heard. And if he enlists for the Regiment (Opt 40) he'll go through RASP, to the Regiment and only then to Ranger school. To my knowledge there's no way to do it the way you describe: Enlist for Ranger school and then go to the Regiment. I mean, you can do it that way, but it's not an enlistment contract.

Ask me how I know. Nah, never mind. Don't. The saga continues....

Our new posting rules