Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 6 January 2018, 21:05
Vivat Fraternitatis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadhead View Post
Has anyone here tried out any of the new online training sites? I've recently starting using Udemy's "ethical hacker" course. I got it for $10 and I can't really complain. Just wanted to know if more experienced folks have tried it and what they think
A few years back when I was studying for my Security+, I used a series of videos from a guy called Professor Messer. As a visual learner it helped me out a great deal. CBT Nuggets also has awesome tutorials on Kali Linux / etc.
Old 7 January 2018, 16:28
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV View Post

CompTIA Security+: This is considered an entry-level certification, but it provides a really solid foundation that will build into other areas. If you are green to the field, start here. If you have no prior IT knowledge, look at their A+ and Network+ certifications (not required to pass Security+ though).
I would second this for others (like myself) who are very, very new to this stuff. I have no illusions about practical applications of this certification, but studying for/passing the test was a great learning experience for me.
Old 8 January 2018, 15:21
Ungood

Excellent. Congrats on starting down the path.
Old 8 January 2018, 16:53
Ungood

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrax View Post
I would second this for others (like myself) who are very, very new to this stuff. I have no illusions about practical applications of this certification, but studying for/passing the test was a great learning experience for me.
To add, while you may not have gained practical experience, I know you can explain to me the difference between symmetric and asymmetric key cryptography, and network protocols that may be insecure. This is a solid start that will help on your journey. Even if you end up in a non-cyber related IT role, you now have a credential that shows you have an understanding of security.
Old 10 January 2018, 23:33
Confirmed User

I haven't posted in a long time. If I need to reintroduce myself then I can, just let me know.

I'm currently working as an Air Reserve Technician at my ANG base. I'm an IT asset manager and I'm trying to get into a more technical position. I plan on taking some of the advice in this thread and applying it to get a more technical position.

I also teach at a for-profit school part-time to keep my skills relevant. I talked the school into sponsoring a team for an upcoming CTF in our area. We teach to the Sec+ objectives in our Intro to Network Security Fundamentals course (my current class) and I'm wondering what advice you could give me to as to what to do to prepare these students for the event.

So far we have covered some of the stuff on overthewire.org. Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11 January 2018, 06:54
Confirmed User

Nice to read about how our IT security peers from across the pond are fighting with the usual dilemma of certificates, experience, landing a good gig etc. I'm a DLP/MDM/CF guy, BTW.
Old 11 January 2018, 08:40
Ungood

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVDuckman View Post
...I'm wondering what advice you could give me to as to what to do to prepare these students for the event.
Security+ won't help for a CTF. Pick up some resources for CEH if they are green to offensive-based exercises. They'll want to learn topics such as port scanning and vulnerability identification.
Old 11 January 2018, 21:05
Confirmed User

I absolutely agree that Sec+ won't help for a CTF. These students are just beginners and the CTF promises challenges for all levels so we decided to compete. I'm working on some stuff with them now so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the info CV!
Old 11 January 2018, 21:51
Ungood

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVDuckman View Post
I absolutely agree that Sec+ won't help for a CTF. These students are just beginners and the CTF promises challenges for all levels so we decided to compete. I'm working on some stuff with them now so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the info CV!
You're a great teacher. I learned more from CTFs than I ever did from a course!

Our new posting rules