SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Medical

Old 18 August 2018, 22:39

Bicuspid Aortic Valve

Hey everyone,
I have a couple questions about waivers and my options about getting into the military.

I have a bicuspid aortic valve and I've done the research for each branch and talked to my recruiters, these are the questions they didnt answer.

I am looking for options if my waiver gets denied for the USAF for PJ.

So my questions are;
Does having a waiver hurt my chances of getting into special operations?
How can I appeal a denied waiver?
Is there any possible way to have an interview with the medical board for the branch of service I want to join, arguing my case and why I should get a waiver?

Getting into the military has always been a dream and I want to fulfill that. If anyone has any contacts who could pull some strings or information that would be awesome
Old 19 August 2018, 00:43
Never to old to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring.marine View Post
Hey everyone,
I have a couple questions about waivers and my options about getting into the military.

I have a bicuspid aortic valve and I've done the research for each branch and talked to my recruiters, these are the questions they didnt answer.

I am looking for options if my waiver gets denied for the USAF for PJ.

So my questions are;
Does having a waiver hurt my chances of getting into special operations?
How can I appeal a denied waiver?
Is there any possible way to have an interview with the medical board for the branch of service I want to join, arguing my case and why I should get a waiver?

Getting into the military has always been a dream and I want to fulfill that. If anyone has any contacts who could pull some strings or information that would be awesome

Just reading what you have, an researching, I would say no,
But I would wait until some of the medical/ SF, members read this posting

Bicuspid aortic valve A Disease
Bicuspid aortic valve is an inherited form of heart disease in which two of the leaflets of the aortic valve fuse during development in the womb resulting in a two-leaflet valve instead of the normal three-leaflet valve. BAV is the most common cause of heart disease present at birth and affects approximately 1.3% of adults. Normally, the mitral valve is the only bicuspid valve and this is situated between the heart's left atrium and left ventricle. Heart valves play a crucial role in ensuring the unidirectional flow of blood from the atrium to the ventricles, or from the ventricle to the aorta or pulmonary trunk.
Old 19 August 2018, 01:29
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring.marine View Post
Hey everyone,
http://www.asams.org/guidelines/Comp...ic%20Valve.htm

https://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/DR_p..._Web_FINAL.pdf

First link is aviation-specific across DoD; second link is Army medical standards. Relevant paragraph is on page 2-18.

Both state "bicuspid aortic valve is not disqualifying unless there is associated tachyarrhythmia, mitral regurgitation, aortic stenosis, insufficiency, or cardiomegaly."

In general, aviation standards tend to be the most restrictive medically. If you're good to go by those standards, you are generally good to go for most other career fields as well.

My opinion as a non medical guy that's reviewed about a thousand waiver packages for hiring boards is your condition doesn't sound like a show stopper. That obviously depends on other associated conditions. I'm sure one of the medical guys will be along with more specifics.

Good on you for wanting to serve. Best of luck.
Old 19 August 2018, 10:17
Old Scroll

Sounds like you've not yet been to MEPS medical? You've told the recruiter about your issue, but have you actually been denied enlistment, or are you spitballing? You don't need a waiver unless you've been told by the docs at MEPS that you've got a disqualifying condition. That's when you need a waiver, and the board doesn't conduct interviews with applicants to the military, instead what happens is that the docs on the board will pass your packet (and MANY others) from one member to the other to review and make comment. They're then compiled and a determination as to fitness for service is made.

My son spent nearly a year working on getting the docs satisfied with the (ridiculous) amount of documentation they wanted all because the Ex put him on ADD meds from ages 10 - 12. He didn't need a waiver because they didn't tell him NO... they simply said "get more documentation" and when that was finally satisfied they said "OK".

You're not too clear on what your status actually is... only that you've got a aortic valve condition.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 19 August 2018, 10:44
Nurse Ratched

Just a lowly cardiac ICU nurse here but have you ever had an echocardiogram? That would answer all these questions.

Quote:
Both state "bicuspid aortic valve is not disqualifying unless there is associated tachyarrhythmia, mitral regurgitation, aortic stenosis, insufficiency, or cardiomegaly."

Col. Robert W. Black
Old 19 August 2018, 23:02
Authorized Personnel

B 2/75 has cut to the heart of the issue. (rimshot) You are getting a scattershot of answers because your questions are somewhat vague, due to your lack of clarity about your status.

You are an "aspiring.marine"... who is asking about waivers for the USAF. You are not yet in any branch of service... but you ask about the process of appeal for AFTER denial for PJ training on medical grounds.

Accession standards are very different from special operations medical qualifying standards for training. Each service's process is also very different regarding appeals, and often varies depending on the specific needs of the force at any given time. Without clarity on your end as to where you are in the process of enlistment, and with which service, your questions are impossible to answer.

At the very least, for PJ training, the applicable regulation is the USAF MSD, Block H26, whereby you would not qualify. I would make plans regarding what else you anted to do, as a waiver is unlikely, much less a successful appeal. No waiver would be required to JOIN the military, or to qualify for Army special operations training, provided you do not have any associated complications.

Last edited by Doctor_Doom; 19 August 2018 at 23:18.

Our new posting rules