Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > History

Old 27 June 2017, 19:41
Been There Done That

Naval Archive Photos

Does anyone know if it's possible to obtain a class photo from a US Navy Boot Camp?

Company 4202
U.S. Naval Training Center
Bainbridge, MD
3 May 1944

Some relatives of ours are in the photo together, but the copy we have is badly damaged.

Absent that, is there an online service anyone could recommend for cleaning up an image?

Thanks in advance.

Tracy
Old 27 June 2017, 23:53
Been There Done That

USNTC Bainbridge has an association that you can reach out to if you haven't already.
http://www.usntcb.org/
Old 30 June 2017, 07:42
Confronting the Reckoning

Tracy,
I reached out to contacts. I am advised that while the National Archives, College Park (Archives II) has a great many photos, there are not many of boot camp. [that's where I was going to recommend] Instead, it is recommended that you contact the National Museum of the American Sailor (the museum at Great Lake Naval Training Center).

https://www.history.navy.mil/content.../research.html

They would be the most likely part of the Naval History and Heritage Command to have photographs of boot camp, or to be aware of the most likely other collections that would be pertinent.

If they are not responsive (they should be), PM me.
Old 30 June 2017, 16:45
Researcher @ Large

Naval Historian(ish - professional amateur) here. Former head of the photographic division at Navy Historical Center (now NHHC) is a friend of mine and I've just emailed him to see what he knows.

Navy records at archives are organized by commands, so there's Bureau of Ships, Pacific Fleet, Navy Base Portsmouth, etc.. There will be records at College Park, Maryland (main archives) and regional archives (NARA Chicago would likely hold the records of the Great Lakes Naval Training Center). Navy Bases are filed under Record Group 181, "Records of the Naval Districts and Shore Establishments." However I note this caveate: "Nontextual records include a few photographs." You can email that facility and they will do some limited research for you (generally they'll give a description of what they have but don't have the staffing to actually pull and scan records).

Fifth Floor at College Park is the Still Pictures group. I haven't gone looking for training photos and there's tons of different sets of photos so I can't say with any authority what they may or may not have (specialty is WWII if there are questions though). I tend to think there wouldn't be anything there, but I'd be happy to be wrong. The Navy wasn't very sentimental.

Another option might be the textual records on the second floor. The title is textual records, but there are a lot of records with photos attached. If there was any sort of base history, or quarterly progress reports, it's possible there would be photos there. I consider it unlikely however. Best bet there might b e to try and get in touch with an archivist named Nate Patch, who's the most knowledgeable on Naval matters that I've run across (they had a couple of guys with 50 years experience retire a few years ago - Nate's good, but he's got a couple of decades yet to catch up).

Feel free to PM or post with any other questions you have.

*EDIT* Somehow missed the unit and location you dropped - doing some digging on that now and will update my edit.

*EDIT*EDIT*

OK, U.S. Naval Training Center Bainbridge, MD was part of the 5th Naval district and it's records should be at NARA Philly. The list of records doesn't mention USNTC Bainbridge, but you might luck out ... there's email and phone numbers here.

Last edited by specwarnet; 30 June 2017 at 16:58. Reason: Adding info
Old 1 July 2017, 07:13
Been There Done That

Thank you very much for all the gouge! I'll start digging and see what comes up.
Old 1 July 2017, 12:16
Researcher @ Large

Got an answer to my email last night:

Quote:
In a word: "Nope!". NHHC, the Great Lakes Museum and (as far as I know) museums that cover other Naval Training facilities have been gathering such photos on a "catch as catch can" basis, but don't have anything approaching comprehensive coverage (or, for that matter, more than a modest percentage). However, whoever is searching will need to contact every logical museum or other historical institution and ask. They might find what they're looking for, but shouldn't get their hopes up.

The only such photos that I know of that are online are a few panoramic photos from WWII and before that are in the old NHC/NHHC Online Library (my old site). Here's a relevant link: http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/Onli...anor/panor.htm
It will be necessary to scan through the listed photos one at a time to pick out the boot camp class pictures.
Old 6 July 2017, 18:11
Confirmed User

I have made half-assed attempts at finding my old boot camp "yearbook". I have found other year's "yearbooks" on classmates.com, ancestry.com and ebay/amazon.

Maybe?
http://www.gjenvick.com/Military/Nav...#axzz4m5mU958I

Our new posting rules