Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > History

Old 30 January 2015, 16:50
Been There Done That

Thumbs up Confederate submarine slowly reveals its secrets

Found this story interesting regarding the restoration of the Confederate submarine H.L. Hunley, taking place in North Charleston, S.C.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2015/...s-its-secrets/

150 years after sinking, Confederate submarine slowly reveals its secrets

Scientists may finally solve the mystery behind the sinking of Confederate submarine H.L. Hunley, the first sub in history to sink an enemy warship.

A century and a half after it sank and a decade and a half after it was raised, scientists are finally getting a look at the H.L. Hunley’s hull. Experts hope to solve the mystery of why the famed hand-cranked submarine sank during the Civil War.

"It's like unwrapping a Christmas gift after 15 years. We have been wanting to do this for many years now," said Paul Mardikian, senior conservator on the Hunley project in North Charleston, S.C.

The Hunley sank the Union blockade ship USS Housatonic off Charleston in February 1864 as the South tried to break the Union blockade strangling the Confederacy. But the sub and its eight-man crew never made it back to shore.

Rest of article at above link.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hunley2.jpg (49.2 KB, 505 views)
Old 30 January 2015, 21:50
FNG

Man, I remember in middle school going on the tour in Charleston. This was one of the sites.
Old 11 February 2015, 13:55

That was an interesting read. Thank you for posting the article.
Old 11 February 2015, 15:49
Been There Done That

This is the most interesting story of the Hunley IMHO.

http://hunley.org/main_index.asp?CONTENT=GOLDCOIN
Old 11 February 2015, 18:53
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdeth View Post
This is the most interesting story of the Hunley IMHO.

http://hunley.org/main_index.asp?CONTENT=GOLDCOIN
Cool story!
Old 11 February 2015, 19:13

Thanks STACOM. I've read one of many books on this "The Story Of The H.L. Hunley And Queenie's Coin" by Fran Hawk. It is in deed a very interesting story that a lot of folks haven't heard about.
Old 11 February 2015, 23:30
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

I spent some time several years ago in the restoration facility with the people who work there. When they were emptying out the mud which had filled the inside through the broken porthole, the restoration workers found small stalactites which had grown inside. Since stalactites can only grow in air, not water, and since the emergency surfacing blocks had never been released, the presumed cause of death for all except possibly the commander was asphyxiation, not drowning, because there must have been air (though perhaps not breathable) in there long after the crew was dead for stalactites to form. We'll probably never know exactly what happened, but the presence of the stalactites suggests that the porthole was broken at some later time, possibly by a ship's anchor, many years after the crew were dead.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 12 February 2015, 23:28
Confirmed User

What I've always found interesting is that ever since it sank the Hunley was laying in only about 20 feet of water and less than 100 meters from shore. You would think that somebody would have found it a lot sooner.

Great article too.
Old 13 February 2015, 14:12
Pirate and Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
I spent some time several years ago in the restoration facility with the people who work there. When they were emptying out the mud which had filled the inside through the broken porthole, the restoration workers found small stalactites which had grown inside. Since stalactites can only grow in air, not water, and since the emergency surfacing blocks had never been released, the presumed cause of death for all except possibly the commander was asphyxiation, not drowning, because there must have been air (though perhaps not breathable) in there long after the crew was dead for stalactites to form. We'll probably never know exactly what happened, but the presence of the stalactites suggests that the porthole was broken at some later time, possibly by a ship's anchor, many years after the crew were dead.
Ive always thought because of the detonation of the charge that was placed on the hull of the other ship, perhaps they were all knocked out and and the Hunley sunk and they were over come by carbon dioxide build up.

Stupid should be a medical diagnosis - Texan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 13 February 2015, 17:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDawg_03 View Post
Ive always thought because of the detonation of the charge that was placed on the hull of the other ship, perhaps they were all knocked out and and the Hunley sunk and they were over come by carbon dioxide build up.
Could be, but since the Hunley was found about two miles to seaward of the Housatonic, and the attack was timed to take advantage of high tide coming in to help their return journey, the boat had to have been propelled to its final location against the tide by people who were not unconscious at that time. We'll probably never know exactly what happened.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 13 February 2015, 21:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by X18BSOCAL View Post
What I've always found interesting is that ever since it sank the Hunley was laying in only about 20 feet of water and less than 100 meters from shore. You would think that somebody would have found it a lot sooner.

Great article too.
You may be thinking of the first or second time it sank, not the third. The Hunley was recovered from several miles offshore.

Old 24 August 2017, 07:26
A/1/75

The have confirmed that the concussion killed the crew.
Due to being so close the blast wave would have shredded their lungs.

Charlie
Old 24 August 2017, 16:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerCharlie View Post
The have confirmed that the concussion killed the crew.
Due to being so close the blast wave would have shredded their lungs.
Interesting. Source?

Old 24 August 2017, 17:44
Confirmed User

Here's the journal article...hope you've got some time, because it is NOT short.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...l.pone.0182244
Old 25 August 2017, 07:25
A/1/75

WP article
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.980e3dfbbf52

Charlie
Old 6 September 2017, 13:47

Very interesting, thanks for the post!
Old 14 September 2017, 16:53
Been There Done That

I was always fascinated with the story of the Hunley. Very neat to see this chapter in Naval history starting to be told.

Our new posting rules