Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > History

Old 4 February 2017, 13:16
BTDT

Oakland

I was heading to VN, spending a night at the Oakland Army Terminal. My flight was departing the next day. I put on my TW's and was in the process of signing out. The CQ stated "sir, you would be advised not to wear your uniform downtown". "Why not"? He just told me again what he had said earlier.

So, fat dumb and happy I went into Oakland for my last night in town, prior to heading to VN. I hadn't been there very long when I was confronted by three punks, one of whom had some kind of poster (poster, or sandwhich board), I don't remember. They were screaming obscenities at me, blocking my path, doing everything they could do to provoke me to react. I laughed at them, I was heading to VN to fly helicopters in combat, what the f--- were they going to do to me?

So, one of them hocked a large gob of spittle, and spat directly on my ribbons and my wings. That to me was spitting on everyone who had ever earned those decorations, and those wings. I stupidly reacted to that, I punched the kid who launched the gob of spit, knocked him down, they looked surprised at that. The other male threw a punch at me, I put him down as well..Then the girl jumped onto my back, and attempted to scratch my eyes out. She was thrown to the sidewalk. I do not remember punching her, could be selective memory. When I left they were still on the sidewalk.

At that point I thought I had just ended my military career. I took off walking away from the incident, I hadn't gotten far when a police car pulled up to me. I pretended not to notice, he then blipped his fed set. I looked over at him and he beckoned me to his door, when I approached the door he asked me if I had gotten into a little trouble down the block. I said yes sir, I had. He told me to get into his front seat, and tell him exactly what happened, I did. He then asked where I was heading. I told him somewhere to get a cold beer, he said OK, and drove me to a cop bar...Where I was unable to buy a beer all night, and someone from the bar drove me back to where I spent the night.

Oakland now...Different day, same cowardly unpunished Bullshit.

Last edited by CPTAUSRET; 4 February 2017 at 13:26.
Old 4 February 2017, 13:34
Old and Grumpy

I ended up in SanFrancisco for a couple of days before flying out of Travis AFB in Sept. 1965. The local hatred for servicemen was palpable.
Old 4 February 2017, 17:26
Supporterator

You called it stupid sir, well I would like to think I'd have been just as stupid in your shoes. Proud to hear those cops did as they did.
Old 4 February 2017, 18:04
Violent Social Worker

Now that's a story. Awesome.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 4 February 2017, 18:14
Authorized Personnel

Early 1965, Oakland had the largest formation of troops I had ever seen. Everybody gets lined up and the first thing this guys does is call my name. He calls out again as I'm hoping that there is someone else whose name sounds like mine. No luck, so up to the front I go only to be met by a couple of MPs. Seems that my birthday was found out and I was to be discharged as I had no legal guardian to sign for me.

I had about a month in Oakland (AT) and found that San Francisco's Broadway was the best fit for me. I was able to make money shooting pool and saw a lady named Carol Doda.
Old 4 February 2017, 20:51
BTDT

I owed those cops a lot. Real fine people.
Old 4 February 2017, 20:53
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole crusty bastard View Post
Early 1965, Oakland had the largest formation of troops I had ever seen. Everybody gets lined up and the first thing this guys does is call my name. He calls out again as I'm hoping that there is someone else whose name sounds like mine. No luck, so up to the front I go only to be met by a couple of MPs. Seems that my birthday was found out and I was to be discharged as I had no legal guardian to sign for me.

I had about a month in Oakland (AT) and found that San Francisco's Broadway was the best fit for me. I was able to make money shooting pool and saw a lady named Carol Doda.

Carol Doda. Legendary topless dancer.
Old 4 February 2017, 21:46
Been There Done That

Here she is....

http://abc7news.com/entertainment/ph...years/1080308/
Old 5 February 2017, 12:43
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole crusty bastard View Post

She was still there in 1983 when I got to Alameda. Never saw her but remember seeing her name on some signs.
Old 5 February 2017, 16:01
Confirmed User

CAPTAUSRET,

Glad you taught those low-life's a lesson sir.
Old 5 February 2017, 18:14
Confirmed User

CAPT you must of have been shave tail LT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET View Post
I was heading to VN, spending a night at the Oakland Army Terminal. My flight was departing the next day. I put on my TW's and was in the process of signing out. The CQ stated "sir, you would be advised not to wear your uniform downtown". "Why not"? He just told me again what he had said earlier.

So, fat dumb and happy I went into Oakland for my last night in town, prior to heading to VN. I hadn't been there very long when I was confronted by three punks, one of whom had some kind of poster (poster, or sandwhich board), I don't remember. They were screaming obscenities at me, blocking my path, doing everything they could do to provoke me to react. I laughed at them, I was heading to VN to fly helicopters in combat, what the f--- were they going to do to me?

So, one of them hocked a large gob of spittle, and spat directly on my ribbons and my wings. That to me was spitting on everyone who had ever earned those decorations, and those wings. I stupidly reacted to that, I punched the kid who launched the gob of spit, knocked him down, they looked surprised at that. The other male threw a punch at me, I put him down as well..Then the girl jumped onto my back, and attempted to scratch my eyes out. She was thrown to the sidewalk. I do not remember punching her, could be selective memory. When I left they were still on the sidewalk.

At that point I thought I had just ended my military career. I took off walking away from the incident, I hadn't gotten far when a police car pulled up to me. I pretended not to notice, he then blipped his fed set. I looked over at him and he beckoned me to his door, when I approached the door he asked me if I had gotten into a little trouble down the block. I said yes sir, I had. He told me to get into his front seat, and tell him exactly what happened, I did. He then asked where I was heading. I told him somewhere to get a cold beer, he said OK, and drove me to a cop bar...Where I was unable to buy a beer all night, and someone from the bar drove me back to where I spent the night.

Oakland now...Different day, same cowardly unpunished Bullshit.
Old 6 February 2017, 16:57
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman43 View Post
CAPT you must of have been shave tail LT.

At that time I was a CW2. Never was a 2Lt, I took a direct commission to 1Lt.
Old 6 February 2017, 17:09
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTAUSRET View Post
Bleeding hippies and free cop beer
Man, I love a happy ending.

Our new posting rules