SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 28 July 2017, 22:12
Anesthetized User

My words will not help, except to say I am sorry to hear this news.

I think sometimes what I would do, when my little, faithful, loving, loyal 3.5 pound Chihuahua passes.

If he has time, prime grilled beef for each meal.

The only image I have is placing him in a grave in our back yard where he came to live when he was about four months old. He was abandoned and found his way to us.

A lone cross will keep him company.

It don't come easy.--Ringo Starr
Old 28 July 2017, 22:52
Confirmed User

What I hate right now? John McCain
Old 28 July 2017, 22:54
Confirmed User

This was the response I got trying to sign my son up for football online and forgot my password for the site;

"Hi Mark,
In order to click “forgot password” you have to enter your password."

My name is not Mark and WTF?
Old 29 July 2017, 02:13
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferryman View Post
Thanks guys, appreciate the input. Unfortunately, its the big C. She's done for. Just gotta manage her pain and see how long we can go before the inevitable.
That sucks. Sorry. Our last dog had cancer and had to be put down. I cried like an Iraqi woman. Frustrating that God decided our best friends don't live as long as we do.
Old 29 July 2017, 09:33
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferryman View Post
Thanks guys, appreciate the input. Unfortunately, its the big C. She's done for. Just gotta manage her pain and see how long we can go before the inevitable.
I've been there done that with a couple of different family members and a friend of mine that I go back with to sixth grade. May she rest in peace soon. I hope the best for you and your family, sir.
Old 29 July 2017, 09:38
Confronting the Reckoning

Next item on the home maintenance checklist: change oil and oil filter on the standby generator.

Go to take unit offline. Open hatch for fuse.

Discover hornets nest. Fuck. New item on checklist: remove hornets nest from hatch door for fuse box on generator without upsetting the balance of the universe. Step one: figure out how to hold spring-loaded hatch door open while killing everything with chemical weapons but not spraying down fuse box itself.

Step two: don't get stung.

Step three: chemical attack.

Step four: see original maintenance checklist. The day just got longer.
Old 29 July 2017, 13:58

I hate it when people who I never cared to be associated with get in contact with me out of nowhere & want me to hook them up with a job. Then, they get mad when I tell them to apply online like everyone else...
Old 29 July 2017, 23:49
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armitage12 View Post
Discover hornets nest.
One of my favorite tools for getting rid of insect nests is the shop vac. You have to get the nests before they get too big, but if you find them early enough, you can (while the vacuum is off) gently place the intake hose next to the nest, hit the power switch, and "bam" before they know it the nest and most of the hornets/wasps are gone. The few that aren't sucked up are usually too stunned to sting you for a few minutes.
Old 30 July 2017, 08:26
Shakin' the bush Boss

I prefer the maximum standoff approach. I use that foaming thermonuclear bee-fuck that hits the nest like shaving cream from about 20' away.
Old 30 July 2017, 10:05
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
I prefer the maximum standoff approach. I use that foaming thermonuclear bee-fuck that hits the nest like shaving cream from about 20' away.
I was in the tower, running our range in Houston a few years ago, when I saw a large wasp crawling down the INSIDE of the glass in front of me. We had a recurring problem with wasps in that tower and as I looked around, I found a can of wasp spray. So, I called the next course of fire, turned the targets, rolled back and sprayed the wasp.

That's when I discovered that the "wasp spray" was actually the long-range, 20' standoff can. I think I got a sheer kinetic kill, just from the stream plastering the wasp and blowing it all over the window...and me, and the desk and the laptop and the mic and everything else in the tower.

Killed the wasp though.
Old 30 July 2017, 10:26
Confronting the Reckoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
One of my favorite tools for getting rid of insect nests is the shop vac. You have to get the nests before they get too big, but if you find them early enough, you can (while the vacuum is off) gently place the intake hose next to the nest, hit the power switch, and "bam" before they know it the nest and most of the hornets/wasps are gone. The few that aren't sucked up are usually too stunned to sting you for a few minutes.
I like this. This I will try (I spent yesterday on all the other tasks). But don't you end up with some angry ones in the vacuum---or do you let them die in there?
Old 30 July 2017, 10:35
Been There Done That

Quote:
Yes sir indeedy--all I use and that shit is the bomb.
Old 30 July 2017, 10:39
Confirmed User

The arrogance and selfishness of my brother-in-law being tolerated by the rest of the family.
Old 30 July 2017, 14:14
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
That's a good option too. I just find the shop vac to be more viscerally satisfying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armitage12 View Post
I like this. This I will try (I spent yesterday on all the other tasks). But don't you end up with some angry ones in the vacuum---or do you let them die in there?
I've never found any live hornets in the vacuum; maybe the velocity of being sucked up kills them... Heck, I don't empty my shop vac until it needs cleaning.
Old 30 July 2017, 14:51
Confirmed User

Quote:
Frustrating that God decided our best friends don't live as long as we do.
Yep. Thanks for all the kind words folks. Very much appreciated.
Old 30 July 2017, 15:37
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Frustrating that God decided our best friends don't live as long as we do.
Perhaps you were trusted to be a best friend to one who badly needed a best friend at the time. Responsible people attract burdens because they can carry them.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 30 July 2017, 20:20
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
Perhaps you were trusted to be a best friend to one who badly needed a best friend at the time. Responsible people attract burdens because they can carry them.
I'd never looked at it that way. Great point. Our current pooch was ditched at the pound three times before we adopted him because he was "too big". He's a great dog, just messed up in the head from being abandoned so many times.
Old 31 July 2017, 08:11
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
Holter monitors. Glad it's only for three days. Comes off tomorrow.
I had one for a day and I was done.

To your point, wasting two days for a cardiac catheter to be told, "as we suspected no blockages but as least we are sure" . Practicing medicine indeed.
Old 31 July 2017, 09:39
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by H60Gunner View Post
In order to click “forgot password” you have to enter your password.
This part would confuse me more...
Old 31 July 2017, 09:40
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
Yes.

Our new posting rules