SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 26 June 2019, 12:51
Shakin' the bush Boss

Military Order of the Purple Heart VSO reps

Have a fishing bud who has a claim in with the VA for an Agent Orange related heart valve issue. He had open heart at Duke two weeks ago to replace a faulty valve.

His claim is with Military Order of the Purple Heart, and apparently they have furloughed all there VSO's due to lack of funding.

If anybody has a claim in handled thru MOPH, you may need to start working on your plan B.
Old 26 June 2019, 13:24
Been There Done That

^^^^^
This
If any of you all have any recently filed an Appeal or NOD with Purple Heart do yourself a favor and resubmit it directly to the VA. I appealed one of my denials a few years back with the VFW unknowing that the Service Officer had quit and no one could access his email. That really sucked.
Old 26 June 2019, 15:10
Old and Broke

Does he have an existing rating?
Old 26 June 2019, 15:49
Shakin' the bush Boss

Not for this. He has to establish service connection and get rated.
Old 26 June 2019, 19:42
Authorized Personnel

MOPH is not that great of an org. I recently cut ties with them over hyper social-justice content they're pushing down member's throats. I've heard some service-members having great results with DAV recently. Might be worth a look.
Old 26 June 2019, 21:31
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Not for this. He has to establish service connection and get rated.
He's most likely presumptive for some heart conditions related to Vietnam service and Agent Orange, Ischemia comes to mind. Secondary conditions to the presumptive condition should also be s/c so long as the medical evidence/opinion is in there he's GTG. (Think heart valve was damaged by...). My understanding is that the valve damage may normally be caused by something else, so deal with the issue early, You can even go to the third order if documented: Got hardening of the arteries, which caused him to develope hypertension, hypertension led to valve damage - that sort of medical opinion. Vietnam has been over 45 years and conditions can and do progress..
Suggest now is the time to have his cardiologist write it all up and paperwork included (or added) to his pending claim. Think Nexus. This was caused by that. Works best if the Vet has the basics and can present the evidence to the VSO when they talk.
Old 26 June 2019, 21:35
Shakin' the bush Boss

He's just freaking cause he really liked his VSO, a retired Marine lady and she was poof, gone, right in the middle of a claim. I think his evidence is solid. He was diagnosed with ischemic heart valve issues several months ago and went very quickly from diagnosis to surgery. He was a Marine grunt in 'Nam, so his presumptives should be good to go.
Old 26 June 2019, 21:49
Been There Done That

Before he jumps to the next VSO - ask around. Not all VSOs are equal.
I don't like the fact that she left without reaching out to her Vets. Before I get really angry at her I got to ask: Is she hot?
Old 26 June 2019, 21:52
Shakin' the bush Boss

I've been using DAV and they're freaking awful, but I'm sure it's a lot different from office to office.

No, he said she was a real wildebeest, but really good at what she did.
Old 27 June 2019, 08:52
Authorized Personnel

FK is 100000 correct. The VA will accept the medical opinion from his Doc but it has to be worded correctly. My advice, if I can add, is to have the doc write so it cannot be interpreted two ways.

America...a country founded by geniuses but managed by idiots
Old 22 July 2019, 16:25
Moving Target

I turned down a Purple Heart in Desert Storm for blood coming from my ears from battle and I regret it now because I have ringing in my ears since then. I would like to know if I could still get a Purple Heart for it and also get one for Gulf War Illness.

Our new posting rules