SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 3 October 2016, 09:52
Been There Done That

Exclamation Flu Shots

Just putting it out there, for those that may not know. If you have a VA Health Care card, you can get free Flu Shots at any Walgreens Drug Store. They participate with the VA. All you have to do is show your card. Just found out about this myself, and went to a Walgreens yesterday to get my shot. You do not have to contact your VA hospital, out patient clinic or PCP first.

For many years I never got a shot. Well, last year I caught the flu and was in bed for a couple of weeks. So I made sure I got a shot this year.
Old 3 October 2016, 10:16
In Vino Veritas

IMO the flu shot is the biggest fraud perpetrated on the public. You get the virus of what you are "most likely" to get. So nothing says you won't get sick, you're just unlikely to get what someone at the CDC thinks is going to go around. No thanks. Perhaps if I was much older and worried about the flu turning into a bigger issue, but I've had enough shots for god knows what.
Old 3 October 2016, 10:17
Calix Meus Inebrians

Good stuff, thanks for sharing. Will save me a few bucks.
Old 3 October 2016, 10:31
Confirmed User

I get the flu shot every year. Don't get the flu. Haven't noticed an y side effects to the vaccine. Even though flu mutates quickly so it is difficult to have the strain in the vaccine match exactly whats out there, I figure the fact that I get a slightly different flu vaccine every year eventually will build up a fairly broad resistance to a lot of different strains of flu. If a killer flu strain eventually becomes a pandemic an immune system that is better at fighting flu might be the difference between surviving and not even if it doesn't keep me from getting it. I'll keep getting my free flu shot every year.
Old 3 October 2016, 11:23
Administrator

While there are legitimate questions around the effectiveness of flu shots, if you can get it using a VA card or your company pays for it, it's a prudent step.

Also, some industry's require flu shots so be aware of your corporate policy's.
Old 3 October 2016, 11:51
Confirmed User

The vaccine has anywhere from a 17%-25% efficacy rate. BUT...even though it's a 'best guess' on the prevalent strain, it is often enough inoculation that if you do get the flu, it's a much more mild case and doesn't last nearly as long.

If I didn't have to get it (my employer makes us), I wouldn't. But if you live with kids, the elderly, or with people with compromised immune system, then it's a good idea.
Old 4 October 2016, 05:41
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
But if you live with the elderly... then it's a good idea.
My wife and I both do, headed to Walgreens.

― Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Old 4 October 2016, 05:45
Swimming Upstream

I will say that for most of my final AD years, I avoided getting the flu shot and still don't like to get it. BUT, I also used to get put on my ass for 1-2 weeks with the flu. When I retired and became a AF civilian, the unit was sneaky and called an all hands...damn! Ambushed with mandatory shot....and I've not gotten the flu since. So that's been the past three years. Apparently, DOD schools have made it mandatory for kids to have the flu shot, or they cannot attend that school. That bothers me, even if I understand the reason.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke

- I'm not typing this looking for sympathy, I want you guys to listen to your body and if you see or feel something out of the ordinary going on, get it looked at by a competent Doctor. -OldCrustyBastard
Old 4 October 2016, 10:29
Confirmed User

Read the following article this morning and thought it might somehow be relevant:

Quote:
Express Scripts replaces CVS with Walgreens in military health care plan

Angela Mueller

Angela Mueller

241 words

4 October 2016

St. Louis Business Journal Online

STLBJO

English

© 2016 American City Business Journals, Inc. All rights reserved.

Express Scripts Inc. will be replacing CVS with Walgreens in the retail pharmacy network it manages for Tricare, which provides medical benefits for U.S. military members and their families.

As of Dec. 1, Walgreens pharmacy locations will join the network and CVS pharmacies will leave the network the same day.

A statement from Tricare said this change is "intended to provide better value and maintain convenient access for beneficiaries."

The network will add about 8,000 Walgreens stores and lose more than 9,600 CVS pharmacies, Military.com reports.

"As part of our contract with Tricare, Express Scripts helps the Department of Defense maintain an affordable pharmacy benefit by continuing to secure competitive rates with retail pharmacies," Express Scripts spokeswoman Jennifer Luddy said in a statement. "This change is intended to provide better value to Tricare and maintain convenient access for beneficiaries."

Tricare serves about 9.4 million beneficiaries.

St. Louis-based Express Scripts Holding Co. reported a profit of $720.7 million for the second quarter, up 20 percent from last year’s quarter. The company reported revenue for the quarter of $25.2 billion, down slightly from the $25.5 billion it recorded in the second quarter of 2015.
Old 4 October 2016, 14:52

I get the shot every year, and usually don't get the flu. If I do, it's usually very mild. I guess the vaccine strengthens your immune system so if you do get it, it doesn't hit you as hard.

BUT - I think it was in 2010-2011 that two flu strains hit here locally. I got the shot that year, but I (and a lot of other folks here) ended up with the strain that I/we didn't get the shot for. According to the medical folks here, it was relatively mild, but it kicked my ass anyway. Put me down for almost a week, took another two or three weeks to fully recover.

~Chris
Old 4 October 2016, 19:07
giving you a number

Big fan of the flu shot.

I worked in a SCIF for years and this particular SCIF was basically a building inside a building so our air handlers were just sucking in air from inside the building. The place was a damn petri dish. All it would take is one manly man to come in sick and it's was like dominos falling. I recall laughing at guys puking in their trash cans. Made me a believer. I get it each year from the doc and only recall a couple of years where I ended up with the flu anyway. Flu shots or good luck? I have no idea but I it seems to work for me.
Old 5 October 2016, 10:54
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Not a fan. Every year the military made me get a flu shot. Every year I got sick as a dog. Never got a flu shot since I got out, and never had the flu once.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 5 October 2016, 12:04
A/1/75

After not getting one for years the VA shot me up

Charlie
Old 5 October 2016, 12:32
Divides by zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
Not a fan. Every year the military made me get a flu shot. Every year I got sick as a dog. Never got a flu shot since I got out, and never had the flu once.
Ditto.
I'm not saying everyone shouldn't get it, but after reading the stats on effectiveness (or lack there of..) of the flu shot, I made up my mind.
Old 5 October 2016, 12:40
Confirmed User

I have had the flu shot one time and it knocked me on my ass. It was given to me in Basic even though I told the DS that I was allergic to poultry. Within two min of the shot my arm swelled up and I had hives. That was back in 90 and have not had since. I do get flu like systems in the winter but my job has me going inside/outside/inside all day long and I think that has a lot to do with the head and chest colds I get.
Old 5 October 2016, 16:49
Confirmed User

Hell no,not a fan. Elderberry has clinical data on fighting flu virus, I hit that stuff hard if I'm getting the flu. The biggest effect I've experienced is not going to the gym anymore, and not having toddlers running around.
Old 6 October 2016, 19:40
Confirmed User

I was part of the Guiney pig test brigade in the fall of '68 before the vaccine was given AF wide. Came down with chills laying under three blankets and the heat turned up so high that it ran my two room mates into the day room. Woke up in the base hospital three days later. Had some problems with the shot for a few years after but gradually got to where they have little affect on me now. I'm still getting them through the VA with no problems at all.

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere."
Old 6 October 2016, 20:02
In Vino Veritas

This thread might be a good place for a no shit story; while at 30th AG there were two lines for one particular shot, so ˝ the company got one shot and the other ˝ whatever was getting served up there. None of the prior service guys got the shot. Cut to 2-3 weeks later some dudes get real sick, like hospital sick. Then within a day or two exactly half the company got sick... of course the prior service guys didn't. Cut to a week or so later and the CDC is there with forms. I forget the exact situation but the forms were pre filled out like they knew what was up and we're planning on being there before the event happened. Cue the DS's yelling at us to forget this "accident" and to not talk about it. So, yeah, fuck the flu shot.
Old 22 October 2016, 15:12
Confirmed User

I've gotten the shot the past 10 years and haven't had the flu. Other than a sore arm, I hadn't had a reaction to the shot until last year. Exactly 12 hours after the shot, I came down with body aches and chills that lasted for 2 days. That wasn't the worst part though. Over the next week, twice during sex I experienced an acute, debilitating headache that made me wonder if I was stroking out. Both times I laid still for a couple of minutes and it passed. I never experienced anything like that before or since. I think I'm going to skip the shot this year.
Old 22 October 2016, 15:15
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
This thread might be a good place for a no shit story; while at 30th AG there were two lines for one particular shot, so ˝ the company got one shot and the other ˝ whatever was getting served up there. None of the prior service guys got the shot. Cut to 2-3 weeks later some dudes get real sick, like hospital sick. Then within a day or two exactly half the company got sick... of course the prior service guys didn't. Cut to a week or so later and the CDC is there with forms. I forget the exact situation but the forms were pre filled out like they knew what was up and we're planning on being there before the event happened. Cue the DS's yelling at us to forget this "accident" and to not talk about it. So, yeah, fuck the flu shot.
Wow, the implications of that are frightening.
Lucky for you it wasn't the anthrax vaccine!

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician

Our new posting rules