SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Veterans Issues

Old 17 June 2019, 05:34
Confirmed User

Experimental PTSD treatment

I just read this article about a new treatment the VA is doing and wanted to pass it along.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sgb-a-p...5ByQwpnWyGQgMk

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 17 June 2019, 07:43
Confirmed User

I have no idea what PTSD does to someone. I think it is very personal, as some talk about it and some keep it locked up...
The VA needs all the help in modern medicine etc to help our brothers and sisters.
Old 30 June 2019, 07:55
A lost ball in high weeds

Snake oil. That treatment has been around for awhile.

https://www.psychiatryadvisor.com/ho...tsd-treatment/
Old 30 June 2019, 10:20
Confirmed User

Did you read that article?

It says it helped. It also says the placebo helped. The mind is a powerful tool and if using a placebo helps someone then that is much better than doing nothing especially since the placebo used is usually benign.

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 30 June 2019, 11:32
The atomic zit

If we use this article as a baseline for the number diagnosed:

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/heal...tics-veterans/

The “sham study” used 1/3 of 1% of the diagnosed population.

I can’t see how 42 out of more than 12,000 proves or disproves anything...
Old 30 June 2019, 19:04
0311/8651

So when I’m driving my car and Knights in White Satin plays that fancy shot puts me in a good mood? Never-Never land
Who’ll Stop the Rain
Crazy
Colt M-16,A1,#678143-RVN
Old 5 July 2019, 09:57
Voodoo guru

I wouldn't discount it so quick!
I've spent the past year dealing with a TBI that went untreated for quite a while, which brought along with it, according to the guy who runs the brain treatment unit at Emory University, Major Agitated Depression and Major PTSD. I've never been one to buy into "depression" and "PTSD", because frankly, I've never felt like I've been particularly traumatized. But when a doc can rattle of physiological symptoms, it's hard to argue. That said, I had a doc put me through a series weekly ketamine injection treatments for four weeks straight. A treatment that was thought to be fairly radical not too long ago, is now still a little weird, but it is absolutely effective. Their are ways to trigger new blood vessel growth and electrical connections. So this doesn't seem particularly too far out of the question.

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW
Old 5 July 2019, 15:56
Confirmed User

New clinical testing and research is being done with psilocybin in very low level micro-dosing amounts with good results so far. it is thought that the chemical properties of psilocybin can help rewire the natural neuropathic connections in the the brain along with therapy to bring back normal chemical functions of the brain. Research was being conducted in the late 60's and 70's with psilocybin to help with depression and many other irregular brain function ailments until it was all halted by Nixon's war on drugs campaign in 73, I think.

Hopefully it can help some without the destructive effects of SSRI's and other psychotropic medications for many people who suffer daily with PTSD, Depression, TBI and so on. Family members with some of these conditions is the catalyst to my interest on the subject.

I hope something positive comes out of these trials because the current medication regimens to me seem to hurt just as much as they might help.
Old 6 July 2019, 00:53
Voodoo guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB8541 View Post
New clinical testing and research is being done with psilocybin in very low level micro-dosing amounts with good results so far. it is thought that the chemical properties of psilocybin can help rewire the natural neuropathic connections in the the brain along with therapy to bring back normal chemical functions of the brain. Research was being conducted in the late 60's and 70's with psilocybin to help with depression and many other irregular brain function ailments until it was all halted by Nixon's war on drugs campaign in 73, I think.

Hopefully it can help some without the destructive effects of SSRI's and other psychotropic medications for many people who suffer daily with PTSD, Depression, TBI and so on. Family members with some of these conditions is the catalyst to my interest on the subject.

I hope something positive comes out of these trials because the current medication regimens to me seem to hurt just as much as they might help.
Yes, to all of that from personal POV

Old 6 July 2019, 14:06
Swimming Upstream

I know folks within USASOC who have received this treatment with positive effect.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke

- I'm not typing this looking for sympathy, I want you guys to listen to your body and if you see or feel something out of the ordinary going on, get it looked at by a competent Doctor. -OldCrustyBastard
Old 6 July 2019, 14:35
Confirmed User

They are doing some pretty significant research with psilocybin at John Hopkins...

https://www.businessinsider.com/john...dule-5-2018-10
Old 11 September 2019, 01:20
What could possibly go wrong?

Anyone see the recent articles on PTSD blood tests?

It’s being reported that there may be blood tests required before and after deployments.

I see this as a possible double edged sword....get tagged with a PTSD blood marker and next thing you know your on a red flag gun prohibition list.
Old 11 September 2019, 08:58
Voodoo guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo King View Post
They are doing some pretty significant research with psilocybin at John Hopkins...

https://www.businessinsider.com/john...dule-5-2018-10
It fucking works.
I spent over two years dealing with a treatment resistant brain injury, and along with the TBI, it came with a diagnosis of major agitated depression and severe PTSD. Docs words.

I was given a course of micro-dosing, AND had 6, once a week ketamine IV infusions. Shit saved my damn life. No shit.

New blood flow and electrical activity in the brain. It was as if the depression and PTSD were cut out by a scalpel. After the first treatment with the ketamine, I could feel and "understand" a difference. By the sixth treatment, totally felt rebooted and clear.

Our new posting rules