Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 13 October 2017, 13:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hognose View Post
Operation Eldest Son (also Pole Bean) really was a thing.
That Loadout Room link isn't there any more, so I don't know what the original article is about. But yes, Pole Bean / Eldest Son was a real thing. I remember one of the Hatchet Forces going out, finding a bunch of NVA bunkers, and sending back for ammo to plant in them (rather than try to blow everything up). Oddly, Saigon even sent up some 37mm AA ammo to mix in, along with the 7.62 AK and 51mm HMG stuff.
Old 13 October 2017, 17:11
Old and Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiretoad View Post
That Loadout Room link isn't there any more, so I don't know what the original article is about. But yes, Pole Bean / Eldest Son was a real thing. I remember one of the Hatchet Forces going out, finding a bunch of NVA bunkers, and sending back for ammo to plant in them (rather than try to blow everything up). Oddly, Saigon even sent up some 37mm AA ammo to mix in, along with the 7.62 AK and 51mm HMG stuff.
That 37/57mm AA played hell with our aircraft. I hope it blew up some gun tubes.
Old 13 October 2017, 18:40
What could possibly go wrong?

Got to work with several SOG guys in my travels. I learned a lot from them. True masters of small unit tactics in my opinion.

Our new posting rules