Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 11 December 2014, 12:17
33,024 - R.I.P.

Two grand? Wow! I just saw the link. Haha...no. I think I spent $150 on mine from Moosejaw. They have the new version for about $179

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sho...8_10000001_-1_

Last edited by JAFO; 11 December 2014 at 12:22.
Old 11 December 2014, 12:44
Preparing to defend

Damn nice bag, JAFO! I, too, just about had to change the Depends when I went to that link. Other than a dependable bag, what are the colors one looks at. My self, it's black. When I googled the Gregory Z40 pack, it was depicted in VS-17 panel orange. I just can't see me humping that color if I need a go bag.

Oh, and 20buckbandit, you fucked up a great opportunity with JAFO, and many others. Nice would be my watchword when I came back. I would have looked into getting one myself, as I am in the market, but not being quite as smart as many of these guys, nor motivated enough to go to CVS and build my own kit, I look for recommended complete kits. Your attitude thus far makes this product a no-go at this station.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 330.jpeg (12.8 KB, 429 views)
Old 11 December 2014, 13:34
Another pool cleaner

Guys, here's another Amazon pricing for the Z40: http://www.amazon.com/Gregory-Mounta...ds=gregory+z40

That particular one comes in blue, yellow, red and black.

Seems that there are other Gregory bags as well.
Old 11 December 2014, 13:36
Been There Done That

How could I possibly Operate while wearing a big orange bag on my back? Can't you make it in like Tiger Stripe pattern or something to match my face paint?
19 Oct 2017
Old 11 December 2014, 14:01
Confirmed User

I was going to nominate 20$Bandit for the "How Not to Post" Thread but I see RGR.Montcalm has edited most of his posts. It's been a while since there was a good nominee for the how not to thread...
Old 11 December 2014, 14:15
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogonroad View Post
Damn nice bag, JAFO! I, too, just about had to change the Depends when I went to that link. Other than a dependable bag, what are the colors one looks at. My self, it's black. When I googled the Gregory Z40 pack, it was depicted in VS-17 panel orange. I just can't see me humping that color if I need a go bag. .
What? You don't want to highlight yourself in a SHTF senario? I thought you 160th guys were "adventurous".

Here's a shot of the new Z40 pack (in black):
Old 11 December 2014, 14:51
Been There Done That

This might not apply to every scenario so take it for what is worth.

There was a brief time that as a civilian in a foreign country I kept a go-bag that had some probability of having to be used on short notice as part of a no-shit EE plan.

For scenarios in which you need to be out among the unwashed masses as part of an E&E or survival scenario, you obviously won't want a day-glo pack but you also won't want a pack that looks (or smells) new or has any military pattern. You'll want a deceptively good civilian pack that looks old and worn. It should be devoid of any identifying designs. I would keep the old adage that "nothing natural in nature is black" in mind as well.

Keep an eye open at garage sales or thrift shops.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 11 December 2014, 15:00
Preparing to defend

Valuable observation, HDSL. One well worth remembering.
Old 14 December 2014, 10:42
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDragLowSpeed View Post

There was a brief time that as a civilian in a foreign country I kept a go-bag that had some probability of having to be used on short notice as part of a no-shit EE plan.

For scenarios in which you need to be out among the unwashed masses as part of an E&E or survival scenario, you obviously won't want a day-glo pack but you also won't want a pack that looks (or smells) new or has any military pattern. You'll want a deceptively good civilian pack that looks old and worn. It should be devoid of any identifying designs. I would keep the old adage that "nothing natural in nature is black" in mind as well.

Let me throw this out for the tradecraft experts. What about hiding in plain sight? There are lots of WalMart branded packs with ACU and similar camo patterns. While multi-cam may be out, some of the other .mil offerings may not stick out so bad.
Old 14 December 2014, 10:56
Been There Done That

Quote:

Get a pack in "real tree camo", that seems to be the new "fashion" for Koreans and Japanese - from what I witnessed recently

Check out the Mystery Ranch Sweet Pea, Rush, and Snap Dragon line up. Been using a Mystery Ranch 3 day assault in Multi Cam, that I heavily modified, and love this pack. Now getting a sweet pea is olive/foilage for more daily use/travel. Very effective packs, but blend in more with civilian trekking/travel clothing.

http://www.mysteryranch.com/mountain-adventure/hiking-climbing-packs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 14 December 2014, 11:48
Confirmed User

I have no connection to this company, but depending on the level of threat you may want want to protect against.
http://www.amazon.com/BulletSafe-Bul...rds=bulletsafe

If you have unused soft side panels around you can put them to use like this for less.
If you put something like this in a back pack you really don't notice the extra weight. A couple of bottles of water, a few energy bars a blowout kit and a couple of extre mags. in almost civilian style back pack may be enough.
Old 17 December 2014, 06:47
Been There Done That

http://www.wearvertx.com/edc-gamut-bag.aspx

These packs look like they would be good to go. Plenty of pockets for organization.

"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Old 20 December 2014, 13:55
Been There Done That

Quote:
I would keep the old adage that "nothing natural in nature is black" in mind as well.
Except for the dark of night, killer whales, penguins, black bears, bats, panthers, horses, cows, wolves, snakes...
Old 20 December 2014, 14:21
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark0311 View Post
Except for the dark of night, killer whales, penguins, black bears, bats, panthers, horses, cows, wolves, snakes...
Fair point. Will keep that mind next time I have a plan to E&E as Shamu.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 20 December 2014, 15:18
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_3m View Post
I was going to nominate 20$Bandit for the "How Not to Post" Thread but I see RGR.Montcalm has edited most of his posts. It's been a while since there was a good nominee for the how not to thread...
And also how not to market to, and insult, a potential customer base. Had he spent 30 minutes perusing SOCNET he would have seen there are no less than 5 multi page threads dedicated to E&E/TEOTWAWKI/Bug Out Bags, etc., not to mention many threads where people have been able to market their products, services, books, etc.

He might not have been able to set up his retirement from this site but he certainly could have made some sales.
Old 20 December 2014, 19:24
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
And also how not to market to, and insult, a potential customer base. Had he spent 30 minutes perusing SOCNET he would have seen there are no less than 5 multi page threads dedicated to E&E/TEOTWAWKI/Bug Out Bags, etc., not to mention many threads where people have been able to market their products, services, books, etc.

He might not have been able to set up his retirement from this site but he certainly could have made some sales.
I think you guys hurt his feelings
Old 20 December 2014, 20:06
Another pool cleaner

Way to reel 'em in TFG.
Old 21 December 2014, 13:56
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy View Post
I have no connection to this company, but depending on the level of threat you may want want to protect against.
http://www.amazon.com/BulletSafe-Bul...rds=bulletsafe
"Currently unavailable". I wonder if this anything to do with H.B 5244.
Old 21 December 2014, 14:40
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I think you guys hurt his feelings
Yeah, anybody want to put money on him coming back after his "break"? Nobody comes back after a failure that complete.
19 Oct 2017
Old 21 December 2014, 14:45
FIDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
Yeah, anybody want to put money on him coming back after his "break"? Nobody comes back after a failure that complete.
Yes but ya can't fix stupid. My vote is he will come back to try to justify himself.

Our new posting rules