SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Gear, Survival and Fieldcraft

Old 6 March 2016, 13:19

Icon5 storage for ECWS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
ECWS Modular Sleep System
Conventional sleeping bags in my experience have to be stored on a hanger to maintain loft and warmth. Can the ECWS be stored packed in the stuff sack indefinitely?

If not, are there any known sleep systems that function like the ECWS that can be stored packed with no loss of warmth?
Old 6 March 2016, 13:32
Old Scroll

Easy... ANY goosedown bag will do this.

Never heard of the ECWS "loosing loft or warmth" because of being stored rolled up.

If it does, and you've got the chills because of it... grab yer woobie and you'll be GTG until dawn

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 6 March 2016, 13:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
Easy... ANY goosedown bag will do this.

Never heard of the ECWS "loosing loft or warmth" because of being stored rolled up.

If it does, and you've got the chills because of it... grab yer woobie and you'll be GTG until dawn
Thanks!
Need to check my knowledge - I think I've been told that about synthetic bags, never owned goosedown.
Old 6 March 2016, 17:11
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc_ View Post
Conventional sleeping bags in my experience have to be stored on a hanger to maintain loft and warmth. Can the ECWS be stored packed in the stuff sack indefinitely?

If not, are there any known sleep systems that function like the ECWS that can be stored packed with no loss of warmth?
My Recon 3 stays in its stuff sack in my truck bag. It hadn't been out in 7-8 months. I pulled it out this weekend and slept in it overnight and it worked just fine.
Old 6 March 2016, 17:17

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0699 View Post
My Recon 3 stays in its stuff sack in my truck bag. It hadn't been out in 7-8 months. I pulled it out this weekend and slept in it overnight and it worked just fine.
Kind of wish this site had an "acknowledge" button to give thanks for advice without posting again...

Thanks for the input, I'm am putting the google to use on Recon 3 and goose down. So I don't keep posting, this post is my "thanks" to any future advice given on the topic from everyone.
Old 7 March 2016, 13:59
Darwin Award Presenter

Thanks for all the tips, I especially second the use of standard super glue in wound repair, as posted previously. My contribution is pemmican historically beef jerky type material with a twist, which is easily made at home from food that you and your family enjoy. Those with kids can alter the recipe to include items your kids will actually eat. I have seen recipes for some good tasting stuff, with dried fruits and raisins, etc, The link I am posting is from a historic perspective, so it includes items like buffalo fat, wolverine jowls, etc, but you could make something palatable for the family. Easy to carry. high in caloric content. Mmmmm.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-t...#axzz42EzVBCxi
Old 7 March 2016, 14:35
Old Scroll

Quote:
wolverine jowls
Mmmmmmm

Almost as good for you as badger milk...

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 27 October 2016, 13:54
Confirmed User

There hasn't been much recent information here regarding water purification. I used to just use the Aqua Mira tabs or the Coghlan's tabs, but I recently switched to a filter. A full bottle of the Coghlan's tablets treats 25 quarts, or about a week's worth of water (assuming a little over 3 quarts per adult per day).

I went with the Sawyer Mini. It is highly rated, filters 100,000 gallons, weighs 2.4 Ounces, versatile, no pumping, and costs about $20. It is more versatile than a Lifestraw in that it allows you to carry unfiltered water and drink right from that, or filter into a bottle without first sucking it into your mouth and spitting it into the bottle.

Here is a review on the mini and the squeeze. (not mine, but a good comparison and pretty informative) http://walkingwithwired.com/2013/10/...er-filter.html
Old 27 October 2016, 16:08
33,024 - R.I.P.

Katadyn MicroPur tablets are good to go for H2O purification, and they are packaged in flat sleeves for less space than bottle of standard tablets. Bleach is also a good alternative that only requires 2-3 drops per gallon to sanitize most water.
Old 27 October 2016, 21:29
The Sagacious One

I am looking at a Berkey filter for the house to get the minerals out of the water and other stuff to try and save on bottled water. As a result, I did quite a bit of research on the size of a virus and the filters ability (or inability) to catch these little varmints.

Here is a really cool site that offers size comparison from a grain of rice to a water molecule.

Apparently water filter folks use MS-2 and Fr Coliphage as surrogates for catching other viruses.

I also read about UV light and other ways of killing a virus.

I have Sawyer water bottles in the girls BOB's and the mini filters with a squeeze bag in mine. I also just bought some life straws on sale at Sportsmansguide.com.
Old 23 January 2017, 10:59
The Sagacious One

Here is a good price on the Arc'Teryx pack. $199, 60% off.
Old 10 July 2017, 12:10
33,024 - R.I.P.

I've recently added 50' lengths of shock cord to my bags (1/8" for BOB & 1/4" for truck bag). It seems to have uses that paracord just can't handle, like cinching and tarp management/grommet tie off.
Old 10 July 2017, 13:51
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
I've recently added 50' lengths of shock cord to my bags (1/8" for BOB & 1/4" for truck bag). It seems to have uses that paracord just can't handle, like cinching and tarp management/grommet tie off.
I've used 550 for a myriad of uses including cinching- you just have to use the right knot...

Tie a Prussik knot around the running end of the piece of 550 you're using as a cinch, tighten the loop created around the bag you're cinching, then tie an quick release overhand knot in the running end to keep it from slipping.
Old 10 July 2017, 15:28
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
...you just have to use the right knot...
Yeah, I'm not much of a boy scout-knot tying-Navy marlinspike guy when it comes to that. I usually go onto YouTube to learn different knots as needed, but usually forget them if I don't practice.

The shock cord is good for holding things in place temporarily.
Old 10 July 2017, 15:47
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
Yeah, I'm not much of a boy scout-knot tying-Navy marlinspike guy when it comes to that. I usually go onto YouTube to learn different knots as needed, but usually forget them if I don't practice.

The shock cord is good for holding things in place temporarily.
Try Grog's Knots @ http://www.animatedknots.com/
Old 10 July 2017, 16:01
33,024 - R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
Roger that. I'll book mark it. Thanks!
Old 10 July 2017, 22:02
The Sagacious One

Different uses than the shock cord, but look at bank line.Its a tough cord in various sizes with a tar based coating. Very tough and resistant to rot.
Old 10 July 2017, 23:04
Confronting the Reckoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
x2 on that. Keep track of the ones you're practicing. Also the ITS Tactical videos, while geeky at times, do explain these helpfully from a different angle than Grog's, I've found, making it clearer at times.
Old 11 July 2017, 12:20
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverescue View Post
There hasn't been much recent information here regarding water purification. I used to just use the Aqua Mira tabs or the Coghlan's tabs, but I recently switched to a filter. A full bottle of the Coghlan's tablets treats 25 quarts, or about a week's worth of water (assuming a little over 3 quarts per adult per day).

I went with the Sawyer Mini. It is highly rated, filters 100,000 gallons, weighs 2.4 Ounces, versatile, no pumping, and costs about $20. It is more versatile than a Lifestraw in that it allows you to carry unfiltered water and drink right from that, or filter into a bottle without first sucking it into your mouth and spitting it into the bottle.

Here is a review on the mini and the squeeze. (not mine, but a good comparison and pretty informative) http://walkingwithwired.com/2013/10/...er-filter.html
several through hikers and heavy users have given up Sawyer minis and back to the squeeze because of frequency of cleaning it required. short term, no big deal....

I've got a squeeze and picked up a Platypus 2L gravity dirty bag and line to go with it for GP/camping too.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 3 September 2017, 23:05
Confirmed User

I've taken to repurposing my kids old backpacks. They don't look tacticool and are generally in good shape.

I keep a sort of get home bag in my work car. It's low profile, and holds seasonal clothes and shoes for work (we wear suits/ties as the UoD) and have to switch up at times. So I have a set of street clothes always ready.

I also keep a Beofang, extra mags for my handguns (s), and a bunch of snack that I chow on. I would have a 15 mile trek from work to home on a normal day.

I think i can get 24 hours out of it if needed.

I also have one that I keep work gear in as well as my MacBook, forms, and common crime scene stuff.

Our new posting rules