Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 8 May 2013, 16:55
Confirmed User

Jump Masters chute deploys

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=408_1368024916

I searched the forums and didnt find anything about it. Holy cow! The things I have found written about it say it was the 5th SFG and that the soldier is fine?
Old 8 May 2013, 17:02
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Before I was jump qual'd, I heard about a Marine GySgt who purposely pulled his reserve on the ramp. The second jumper didn't hesitate, and went right behind him (used his main chute, not his reserve).

On a mission in NC my AOD fired as I was JM'ing a MFF insert (bad AOD). I was fortunate in that my team grabbed my chute (and me) and held it down....
Old 8 May 2013, 17:54
micro-aggressive

Holy shit.
He's lucky that he didn't get ripped in half, and even more lucky that this happened on the ramp and not a paratroop door. He would've pinstriped the plane for sure.
Old 8 May 2013, 18:31
In Vino Veritas

I saw that on ****** but couldn't find it on the net. That must have been one hell of an opening shock

My PSG in Regiment got his reserve pulled after kicking door bundles on his last jump before he left to be a 1SG in Italy. He walked back to the AA but he was limping for a few days after that one.
Old 8 May 2013, 19:01
Preparing to defend

Deja boo-boo! That was fucking wild. Saw something similar in 82nd JM school in 77. Friggin 18Corps staff Major needed the star for further progress in HQ. In our class, of course. Had extra one on one training sessions.

Night J/M test with WIEC bag. Major does his door check at about 2 min mark. He stamps the ramp like he stamps "Denied" on 4187's. Wearing Army issued seeing eye goggles hiding the tears,boldly he thrust his bony chest out in the wind, with his hands on the outside of the aircraft door.

He left the 130 about that fast.

Along with his grade slip from the smiling grader.

Last edited by jdogonroad; 8 May 2013 at 19:07.
Old 8 May 2013, 20:42

It was winter 1969 at the drop zone at Ft Devens when as part of the ground crew we watched jumpers exit from a single engine Beaver ( maybe an Otter ). I think it was the 2nd load when the third jumper was extacted from the plane when his reserve popped open. My memory of the event was that he was a Captain just assigned to the 10th just returned from a tour in Vietnam. He was dead before he hit the ground from his heassd impact on the door frame which was bent.
Old 8 May 2013, 20:50

Just remembered another incident at Devens when we were jumping 3 man sticks for the JM trainees. We were in a 130 , lots of jumpers, and it takes several passes of the drop zone when you jump 3 or at a time. The group jumping just before my group and the student JM was a 2nd liutenant. He put his 3 jumpers out then just before he exited the aircraft he crossed the static line the wrong way which slammed his body on the outside of the 130 and knocked him cold. He came to at the tree tops. I still laugh at that one.
Old 8 May 2013, 20:59
Confirmed User

Had a friend at Bragg in 94-95 in JM school. Got his reserve handle caught on the door while checking the dz and it deployed. Automotive failure. He was sore but we laughed at him afterwards. He did eventually go back and pass.
Old 9 May 2013, 02:20
BTDT

A 18C in our company had that happen to him while he was in SOF JM. Got yanked out while doing a door check on a C-130 and the grader threw his score card out the window.
Old 9 May 2013, 02:39
Been There Done That

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogonroad View Post
...with his hands on the outside of the aircraft door.

That is priceless.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 9 May 2013, 05:47
Morte et une dame

Everybody's nightmare.
Old 9 May 2013, 06:35

The JM class before mine at Bragg had a JM student that accidentally deployed their reserve doing the final door/outside safety check. He ended up hitting the trailing edge of the door, breaking his neck and died before hitting the DZ. Rip chord awareness was a big deal after that. Luckily for this guy it was a ramp jump and had nothing to hit except air.
Old 9 May 2013, 08:55
Been around, did stuff

Ouch !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyscout33 View Post
Had a friend at Bragg in 94-95 in JM school. Got his reserve handle caught on the door while checking the dz and it deployed.
That is the reason we have center-pull rip cord handles on our reserves...
Old 9 May 2013, 09:01
Been There Done That

1/75 was redeploying from training in Camp Ripley MN with a jump on Rock DZ -Hunter AAF downtown Savannah.

SFC Laws(now CSM(R)) was the jumpmaster on one of the A/C taking static lines when a young Ranger passed him and his equipment snagged SFC Laws ripcord grip, pulling the reserve.

SFc Laws nearly went through the sid eof the A/C; he was knocked unconscious, head cut pretty badly and both parachutes shredded. He was basically falling without any lift when he passed SP/4 James Bradshaw, a good friend of mine in those days, who reached out and managed to grab the canopy and hold onto it until impact with the ground.

It saved SFC Laws life- Bradshaw only got an ARCOM for that action

SFc Laws has this road map on the side of his skull as a reminder...
Old 9 May 2013, 09:54
Been There Done That

Ouch!
Old 9 May 2013, 10:07
Old Scroll

Quote:
Deja boo-boo! That was fucking wild. Saw something similar in 82nd JM school in 77. Friggin 18Corps staff Major needed the star for further progress in HQ. In our class, of course. Had extra one on one training sessions.

Night J/M test with WIEC bag. Major does his door check at about 2 min mark. He stamps the ramp like he stamps "Denied" on 4187's. Wearing Army issued seeing eye goggles hiding the tears,boldly he thrust his bony chest out in the wind, with his hands on the outside of the aircraft door.

< < < Literary Licence Trophy of the Year Award > > >

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 9 May 2013, 12:45
Scoundrel

I know a cat on that jump. Says the JM landed 22K from the DZ.

“It's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really.” -MixedLoad

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST

Secrets don't sleep til they're took to the grave. -BMTH
Old 9 May 2013, 12:51
Confirmed User

Quote:

We heard about that one all the way over at the Rigger Company at Campbell!
Old 9 May 2013, 12:55
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
I know a cat on that jump. Says the JM landed 22K from the DZ.
That's a bad spot.

Seriously though, I wonder how soon he realized what was going on. That had to be some major pucker-factor!
Old 9 May 2013, 13:53
Confirmed User

So just to confirm..... this guy is OK?

Our new posting rules