SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 1 November 2017, 17:52
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
BTW, here is an observation about he situation written by my clone...
I concur with your clone. The beret and SSI could be seen as an unforced error on the part of the Army as regards the 1st SFAB. I personally think folks are making this out to be a MUCH bigger issue than it is.

The "lesson learned" for the Army and GEN Milley (and the rest of us older folks that don't have a digital device glued to our hand at all times) should be that social media works both ways. This all started with the 1st SFAB Facebook page. I don't do Facebook, or any social media, other than SOCNET. Maybe Facebook is a great way to get info out there...but the 1st SFAB backlash has made the news, and prompted the Chief of Staff to personally engage on the issue. Units need to think before they set up social media accounts, and think before they put info out there.
Old 1 November 2017, 18:10
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
The young guys on the team asked me one time "Why are you talking to that old man so much? Who cares what they did when he was SF?"

I started to try to tell them about CSM Ivanov, and the presence he was when I was a young SF guy...and then I realized "What's the point?" So, I told them I like to talk to people...
Part of the problem with the youth in our ranks...they'll all jump on the butt-hurt wagon over someone trying to co-opt our lineage, when in reality they could care less about it...

"The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm." CR
Old 1 November 2017, 18:14
Been There Done That

I agree with your assessment and believe that the 1 SFAB needs a PAO professional that understands the Commander's Intent with regard to IO regarding press releases about them.

On the clone thing- back in 1998 I was newly arrived in Honduras when my FIL died; I didn't return for the funeral because the wife didn't want me to "mess up my midtour leave"- big mistake. Anyway, my son (aka my clone) was asked to speak about his grandfather at the eulogy; one of BIL's commented 'all the PT has you looking good', to which he replied, "I'm Ricky, not my Dad".. He told me later that the shocked look was priceless...

Quote:
I concur with your clone. The beret and SSI could be seen as an unforced error on the part of the Army as regards the 1st SFAB. I personally think folks are making this out to be a MUCH bigger issue than it is.

The "lesson learned" for the Army and GEN Milley (and the rest of us older folks that don't have a digital device glued to our hand at all times) should be that social media works both ways. This all started with the 1st SFAB Facebook page. I don't do Facebook, or any social media, other than SOCNET. Maybe Facebook is a great way to get info out there...but the 1st SFAB backlash has made the news, and prompted the Chief of Staff to personally engage on the issue. Units need to think before they set up social media accounts, and think before they put info out there.
Old 1 November 2017, 19:52
Been There Done That

What frosted my nipples was GEN Milley stating that SF never taught conventional forces, only host nation SOF. The 1st SFAB formed to do the 'conventional' training. From my career and experience, that's not true; I consider it an affront to my efforts while on active duty.

Moses and Joshua agreed with me too...
Old 1 November 2017, 21:55
Authorized Personnel

Why does this brigade needs their own beret? I understand why SF/Rangers/etc have one, but (using Marine logic) if a six week course qualifies a person for a different beret, why do Army truck drivers/supply clerks/RTOs not have their own beret?
Old 1 November 2017, 22:00
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
Why does this brigade needs their own beret? I understand why SF/Rangers/etc have one, but (using Marine logic) if a six week course qualifies a person for a different beret, why do Army truck drivers/supply clerks/RTOs not have their own beret?

They do. Gen Shitsenki gave them a black one.

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 1 November 2017, 22:08
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
They do. Gen Shitsenki gave them a black one.
Why can't the SFAB wear the same black beret as the rest of the Army?
Old 1 November 2017, 22:11
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
Why can't the SFAB wear the same black beret as the rest of the Army?
because they're special. a 4 star says so.

it's simple really.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 1 November 2017, 22:26
Confirmed User

It's a gimmick attempting to attract quality NCOs and officers to SFAB, but will be openly mocked by the conventional Army; "One hundred men will test today, all but one will wear the turd beret..." It will be viewed as coldly as recruiting or an ROTC assignment, IMO.
Old 1 November 2017, 22:33
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRODA396 View Post
Part of the problem with the youth in our ranks...they'll all jump on the butt-hurt wagon over someone trying to co-opt our lineage, when in reality they could care less about it...
Majority of what I've seen posted are from the retirees.

A problem shared is a problem ridiculed
Old 2 November 2017, 00:41
Never to old to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Majority of what I've seen posted are from the retirees.
Retirees earned the right to wear it the Hard way, an can bitch about it. Just because a General in charge has not earned it like all the rest SF has, does not make it right.
Old 2 November 2017, 00:44
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman43 View Post
Retirees earned the right to wear it the Hard way, an can bitch about it. Just because a General in charge has not earned it like all the rest SF has, does not make it right.
GEN Milley is SF-qualified, and earned a Green Beret. As the Chief of Staff of the Army, he also has the authority to authorize new uniform items.

This is a whole lot of noise about nothing. The internet needs to chill out, and wait and see if the SFAB berets are really worth all of this drama. If the beret ends up looking brown, then we can find something else to fret about.
Old 2 November 2017, 01:40
Been There Done That

Quote:
GEN Milley is SF-qualified, and earned a Green Beret. As the Chief of Staff of the Army, he also has the authority to authorize new uniform items.

This is a whole lot of noise about nothing. The internet needs to chill out, and wait and see if the SFAB berets are really worth all of this drama. If the beret ends up looking brown, then we can find something else to fret about.

When are you retiring Mr. Chill?

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 2 November 2017, 06:43
Been There Done That

Quote:
No shit??? Thanks for reminding me about retirees.

My comment was to point out that majority of responses I've seen were not the 'younger' guys but by retirees. Nothing more, nothing less. Not whether the retirees earned the right and therefore gets a blanket ticket to bitch about it. Not that I owe you a f'n reasoning or explanation.

But WTF do I know? I'm just a retiree that was authorized to wear the headgear being discussed for 26 years.

A problem shared is a problem ridiculed
Old 2 November 2017, 07:31
Been There Done That

I get the feeling that the beret will wind up being the same color as the one 6th SOS just got authorized for their Combat Aviation Advisors.
Old 2 November 2017, 07:37
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
What frosted my nipples was GEN Milley stating that SF never taught conventional forces, only host nation SOF. The 1st SFAB formed to do the 'conventional' training. From my career and experience, that's not true; I consider it an affront to my efforts while on active duty.

Moses and Joshua agreed with me too...
I wouldn't say "never", since we've been presented evidence of USSF working with the initial conventional ANA

However, what I saw during all 5 of my tours was that USSF worked PRIMARILY with host nation SOF and other unique capabilities (whoever was paying their partners in RC East in 05-06, those partners weren't the regular ANA, for example, although I don't think they were ASSF, either).

I think that a dedicated formation, like the SFAB, is a better solution than the ad hoc solutions we've tried so far in the GWOT.

I think the focus on a beret is, as pointed out by someone else, a gimmick that won't turn out to be very useful. If SFAB isn't career enhancing (or at least career neutral), smart NCOs and officers aren't going to volunteer to serve there just to wear a beret.
Old 2 November 2017, 07:53
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
I get the feeling that the beret will wind up being the same color as the one 6th SOS just got authorized for their Combat Aviation Advisors.
I'm hoping against it, but I have a sinking feeling that you are correct - and the community is too small to do anything about it.
Old 2 November 2017, 08:19
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
When are you retiring Mr. Chill?
Very soon
Old 2 November 2017, 13:36
Never to old to learn

Face of Defense: Soldier Finds Unique Experiences in New Army Brigade
I'll let you read the news article

http://links.govdelivery.com/track?t...ce=GovDelivery
Old 2 November 2017, 13:52
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
I'll let you read the news article
I am not going to criticize a young NCO that has volunteered to serve in this new unit.

Our new posting rules