SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 23 January 2014, 16:36
Authorized Personnel

Good above and beyond LEO work

I know I'm a harsh critic of LEO (which usually stems from policies and court decisions I disagree with that LEO enforces), but I'm not a "pig hater" just for the sake of not liking cops. I understand most here get that but just in case it needed clarification...

At any rate, I wanted to highlight some officers who went above and beyond to retrieve medals stolen from a vet:

http://mtstandard.com/news/state-and...4260f13ee.html

Quote:
Police searching a snowbank with a metal detector recovered a Purple Heart medal that was stolen from the brother of a now-deceased Vietnam War veteran in Kalispell.
More at the link.

BZ to those officers who took the time to do the searching for these.
Old 27 January 2014, 14:59
Un-confirmed User

A zone mate and myself had to make a death notification early one morning. The wife was devastated and lost it. Zone mate and myself stayed, cooked breakfast for the kids, got them dressed, and occupied them until family members arrived from out of state.

There are many, many stories of LEO going above and beyond that do not get any attention.

Wish they did.
Old 27 January 2014, 20:39
Authorized Personnel

I volunteered to take a call in another beat about a drunk driver who had just run into a house, then backed out and drove away, because nobody else was available. This was about ten minutes before the end of my shift. I caught the drunk, who had his wife and four kids in the van with him.

I had just volunteered to handle a call that would take me about four hours past the end of my shift, caught the bad guy and maybe saved his children's lives. The drunk was charged with felony drunk driving. When I told the homeowner, who had been following the drunk, what the charge was, he screamed at me because he didn't think I was charging the suspect with enough crimes.

Cops go above and beyond A LOT, rarely get recognized, and sometimes have to take even more shit for doing more than they have to.

Chris
Old 27 January 2014, 22:30
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txchris View Post
Cops go above and beyond A LOT, rarely get recognized, and sometimes have to take even more shit for doing more than they have to.

Chris
I know. I just wanted you guys to know that I recognize it when I see it.
Old 27 January 2014, 22:59
Living the dream

I sincerely wish that you would arrange to participate in a ride-along program. It would be a great way to learn the underlying history of your community, get to know some of the officers who are paid to help and protect you, and maybe see a side of LE work that will possibly shock you.
Old 27 January 2014, 23:39
Firearms Industry Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by yojinbukai View Post
I sincerely wish that you would arrange to participate in a ride-along program. It would be a great way to learn the underlying history of your community, get to know some of the officers who are paid to help and protect you, and maybe see a side of LE work that will possibly shock you.
I've done three of these, and I believe "shocked" is an appropriate term.

What this thread describes, and what many cops do without recognition, I would describe as "community outreach" or "community policing". Which is awesome, and a good example of dedication to duty.

There are also places and individuals who are mostly focused on "Law Enforcement". And that's it. Carrying out the word of law, even if imposed by force, on the community. I don't know which one is "right", based on the different cultures within the US.

I do know which one I prefer, and which one I am more (or less) supportive of. As a member of the American gen-population, I would prefer to pay the folks who would focus on ensuring the well being of my family was preserved, rather than finding out what laws they may be in loose violation of.

Rest Easy SOTB
Old 28 January 2014, 00:06
Confirmed User

Ride-Alongs

Quote:
Originally Posted by yojinbukai View Post
Thanks for your suggestion Yo. LE gets slammed a lot. But it's like a lot of things, bad deeds, bad pics, etc., get most of the press, but there's many more hours in the day and good deeds, above and beyond, that go unmentioned. I have worked with a lot of great men whose deeds of outstanding service, bravery, and self-sacrifice they counted as part of the job. Some SWAT teams have been described as "jack-booted storm trooper wannabes". From the inside looking out, I never saw that mentality among the teams I worked with on the west coast. They were just regular guys who loved their jobs. Some even had impressive combat vet credentials. Sometimes, those who are being the most critical, are unknowingly criticizing some of their own brothers in arms who have gone on to new careers.
Old 28 January 2014, 11:05
Authorized Personnel

I would love to participate in a ride-along. If anyone can make that happen, let me know. That said, law enforcement absolutely do great things often. I'm in the same boat as KidA. I really don't want to appear as a anti-cop member. It's about accountability and making people aware.

There's a video out there, somewhere, of an officer upholding the rights of some citizens that were recording airport personnel. An airport official tried to command an officer to arrest them. The cop did the right thing by separating the two parties, gathered pertinent information, contacted superiors, and then made the right call (airport manager couldn't do as he was demanding). That cop, and those like him, should be commended for their calm demeanor, professionalism, and even-handed approach.
Old 28 January 2014, 14:48
Bland user

I can think of a number of instances.
One that jumped to mind was a fireworks display that went awry. Rockets started shooting all over the place. This little girl around 5 or 6 was unsupervised and alone right where the fireworks were striking.
This cop bolted out of the crowd pushed her down and covered her with his body. The fireworks were shooting right past them and one bounced off his shoulder.
After it was over he went back to his duties and I don't think anyone even thanked him.
Old 31 January 2014, 04:34
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe723 View Post
I can think of a number of instances.
One that jumped to mind was a fireworks display that went awry. Rockets started shooting all over the place. This little girl around 5 or 6 was unsupervised and alone right where the fireworks were striking.
This cop bolted out of the crowd pushed her down and covered her with his body. The fireworks were shooting right past them and one bounced off his shoulder.
After it was over he went back to his duties and I don't think anyone even thanked him.
You mean that jack-booted thug knocked her down and oppressed her with his bodyweight, thus infringing on her right to enjoy the fireworks?

"Butch up, prom queen"
-Wench
Old 31 January 2014, 10:00
Whatever Sucks the Most

One of the things that civilians do not consider is that it is literally the job of the cop to contend with the worst exemplars of society. They have to interact with scumbags, every day.

I could not do it.

I understand when they are grouchy. The surprise is that cops do not randomly beat people more often.
Old 2 February 2014, 01:34
Confirmed User

This caught my eye killing time on YouTube. The deputy sheriff basically protects the rights of a cameraman and a lady handing out flyers in the airport. It happens at about 9:30 into the video.

http://youtu.be/O-G8k44m3VE
Old 2 February 2014, 22:38
Clorox bearer for SOTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician View Post
One of the things that civilians do not consider is that it is literally the job of the cop to contend with the worst exemplars of society. They have to interact with scumbags, every day.

I could not do it.

I understand when they are grouchy. The surprise is that cops do not randomly beat people more often.
I love you man, in a completely not gay manner.

When someone deals with the dregs of society, every day, day after day, that person will eventually reach the conclusion that everyone except their spouse, and immediate family and most of their co-workers are shitballs in need of a beating. It is good for those officers to do things outside the job, where they will meet the good people they are actually serving and protecting... like kids, retired cops, and veterans.

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"

Our new posting rules