SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 14 November 2019, 09:04
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Rain all day long so Going to watch. “The 24 Hour War”. Available for free on Amazon Prime.

https://www.amazon.com/24-Hour-War-A...gateway&sr=8-1
Adding to the watch list. Thanks!

Edit: Not free on Prime any more though rental is cheap. I bet they are charging to pick up on the probable increase in interest due to the Ford v Ferrari movie.
Old 14 November 2019, 14:05
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
The movie seems to be about the first year of LeMans dominance, so covers the 427 FE "big block" cars. Should be a good movie. The last two years winning were with the oldest Mk1 chassis with the smaller 289/302 engines. I hope they cover the Cobra and Daytona Coupe stuff too.

There's a good bit of irony here for any engine builders, as Ford's core design engineering on their engines makes them especially shit for any racing endeavors. Particularly the SBF, stupid fucking external balanced piece of shit. It's one advantage is that it's compact and sorta light(ish), which makes all these wannabe Colin Chapman types (try to) use it. Never mind that the heads suck, the crankcase is too small, and there's some other kluged together nonsense.

The 917 was built to a completely different rule set, a full technical generation later, after Ford had moved on to stomping Ferrari in F1, it should have won. The Porsche 908 more contemporary to the GT40 was beaten at the 1968 LeMans race, by an independent team.

It really was a personal vendetta for Ford, it was fortunate that Americans are basically nice people. Ford could have bought Fiat and had Enzo Ferrari starved on the street had they committed to it to, that was the economic/political dominance of American industry at the time.

Which I think also has something to do with there never being a Ford/Porsche "thing" as with Ferrari. S/F....Ken M
As a kid, my parents bought their cars(and I bought my first new car) from Holbertís Porsche/Audi/BMW.

In their showroom was the Porsche 962 Lowenbrau car that won Le Mans.

They won 3 Le Mans and 2 24 hour Daytonaís with the 962.

I used to beg my parents to stop in and see the car.

Not too shabby of a contribution for a relatively small American family car dealership.

Al died in a planet crash trying to get Porscheís Indy car team going.

Holbertís contribution to racing and Yenkoís contribution to local performance customisation are two great American car stories worth telling.

I will definitely see this Ford Vs Ferrari film, but I canít help but laugh at the counter intuitive David vs Goliath.

Ford is definitely the Goliath in this story.

Ferrari was a perpetually tiny and broke David until more recent years when Fiat took over.

Ferrari couldnít even produce the 50 production GTOs needed in the early 60ís to qualify to race it, they only made 37-39.

And prior to the epic rise of Ferrari/Schumacher, the tiptronic trannie on the Ferrari in the late 80ís/early 90ís was an embarrassing hand grenade laboratory experiment.

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 15 November 2019, 00:04
Been There Done That

It’s about Carol Shelby. I’ll be watching it.
Old 15 November 2019, 05:20

Trying to imagine what would have happened if Ford actually bought Ferrari
Old 15 November 2019, 05:26
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALSV View Post
Trying to imagine what would have happened if Ford actually bought Ferrari
I think it would be worthy of a discussion. But, I think Ford would have screwed the brand of Ferrari. Ford has no Italian passion to build ugly fast cars, well not all ugly.
Could you imagine a Ferrari Pinto......
Old 15 November 2019, 15:25
Been There Done That

Good movie!!!! Just finished. Father loved it.

Two hot dogs and a cold beer. Recliner seats. Can’t believe they are serving beer at the movie theAtre! Awesome.

Movie kicked ass. Damon and Bale did great acting jobs. Miles had the type of wife a man needs. Shelby, if movie is true to history, should of had a liittle more backbone. Fckk corporate weenies.

Ken Miles, probably one of the best drivers ever.

A must to see on the big screen.
Old 19 November 2019, 22:17
Make a desert and call it peace.

The David Vs Goliath aspect is Men vs pogues at Ford, the racing vs Ferrari is secondary. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith

ďThe consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.Ē
- Robert E. Lee
Old 30 December 2019, 22:08
Confirmed User

Just saw it last night.
I watched it for the story and the cars, as they were the stars..
Some fantastic vintage racing cars in there.. Phenomenal speeds over 50 years ago. Think about that. How many street cars can run that kind of abuse for 24 hrs.. Very few, if any.
Matt Damon did a great job. But Christian Bale was the best of all.
I had read of Ken Miles. he was a drivers driver. He was in his own world and a perfectionist. No PC about him.
And that terd at Ford. Well, he really was a POS to watch on the TV, as I knew the result of the race, I knew what was going to happen. But, I feel somehow that due knew the rules and what this would do to Ken. Maybe far fetched, but there are some nasty people in this world.
Great movie.
Old 21 February 2020, 12:32
Administrator

Watched it last night. Highly recommended.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 21 February 2020, 13:11
BT,WBTWC

I remember the one-two-three finish, never occurred to me that the leader would have to actually give up laps to make it happen.

An alternative would have been the just get the other two Ford's to tuck up in echelon (but a lap or two behind) then after the checkered flag dropped for Miles let the other two finish up their next laps to conclude their races. The printed results would have been 1 - 2 -3 and the photo would have been there, without the drama of the "2nd place finish" because of the 20 meters of starting distance.

I wonder if two funny moments in the film were based on actual events:

1- "Borrowing" the Ferrari team stopwatches.

2 - "Mind games" by tossing an odd nut into the pit area of the Italians, leaving them to scramble about wondering where it had dropped off their car.
Old 21 February 2020, 13:23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB View Post
I wonder if two funny moments in the film were based on actual events:

1- "Borrowing" the Ferrari team stopwatches.

2 - "Mind games" by tossing an odd nut into the pit area of the Italians, leaving them to scramble about wondering where it had dropped off their car.

I hope that actually happened. Looks like some shit that I would do.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 21 February 2020, 13:37
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB View Post
I remember the one-two-three finish, never occurred to me that the leader would have to actually give up laps to make it happen.

An alternative would have been the just get the other two Ford's to tuck up in echelon (but a lap or two behind) then after the checkered flag dropped for Miles let the other two finish up their next laps to conclude their races. The printed results would have been 1 - 2 -3 and the photo would have been there, without the drama of the "2nd place finish" because of the 20 meters of starting distance.
The initial race results were announced as Miles winning but quickly changed once the rules people looked it over. Carol Shelby stated in an interview that they did not know that the start distance could be a factor and it was one of his biggest regrets to support the decision to slow Miles down.
Old 21 February 2020, 14:05
In Vino Veritas

Thumbs up

I finally got to see it and Iíll echo everyone elseís thoughts, great movie worth your time. I think both actors did a great job. It seemed to be pretty accurate historically, which is amazing in Hollywood...

If anyone is interested there is also this doc, https://m.imdb.com/title/tt4875844/

We used to go to Riverside raceway in the early 80ís and camp when I was a kid.
Old 22 February 2020, 20:36
Authorized Personnel

Just got back from taking the wife. It's actually way better than I anticipated, and I already thought it would be good.
Old 23 February 2020, 21:02
Embrace the Suck

I was interested in this movie as I have a semi 'unique' perspective on the Ford GT40 program and LeMans. I worked four years as a pit crew member on the Chip Ganassi Ford GT40 program that they built to honor and commemorate Ford beating Ferrari in 1966, 67,68,and 1969.

In 2016 Ford started the new Ford GT40 program running in the GTLM class in IMSA and WEC, the European series which included the 24 Hours of Leman. It was a massive effort run by Chip Ganassi racing and I was a pit crew member on the 66 and 67 Team, the car numbers were to represent the four years of dominance at LeMans, 66,67,68, and 69.

Anyway, we won the 24 Hours of LeMans in our first year, 2016, which to Ford was beyond their wildest expectations. We also won the 2017 and 2018 24 Hours of Daytona, and finished 2nd in class in the 2018 24 Hours of LeMans, as well as a couple dozen wins over the four years, pretty cool really. The program ended in 2019 after 4 years and we sent the Ford GT40's back to Ford and Multimatic, the Canadian company that built the chassis' as well as kept a car or two, if I remember right we had 7 chassis between the US cars and European cars.

Anyway, the movie. I felt the movie was really more about Carroll Shelby and Ken Miles than the Ford vs Ferrari. The movie was kind of hokie in places, the whole "7000 RPM's" thing was weird, as well as some of the drama within Ford but it's a movie right?

I thought Bale was incredible, he is probably one of the best actors of our day. Watch "The Fighter", another great one. Damon is Damon, he is not how I envision Carroll Shelby but played the role well. Mostly what I liked about the movie was the old time racing and what is must have been like back in the day.

The one thing that was true life is racing in France at LeMan and dealing with the French sanctioning body, the Automobile Club de l'Ouest , or "ACO". Let me tell you that the worlds greatest endurance race is literally run by a bunch of small town French village folk who happen to be born in the town of LeMan. The stuff they come up with as far as 'rules interpretation' is beyond believable.

For instance, in 2017 (I think), we were in LeMans for 5 weeks before the race, logistics are insane, setting up the pits, going thru tech at least a dozen times, practice, media obligations, it's crazy. So for 5 weeks we were in the garage, in the pits, with the same gear we have been using all year, firesuits, helmets, shoes, nomex everything, same stuff. It has all been teched and inspected at least a dozen times, by a dozen different people. The morning of the race, around 10 AM, the race starts at 3 I think, some French official comes up and says "Sacre Bleu!" "Your shoes are out of compliance, you can not compete!" No explanation, no appeal, just NO.

So understand, Ford brought probably 300 people from the US to France for this race, Dan Gurney was there, AJ Foyt was there, Len Wood, Don Prudhome, Edsel Ford, literally everyone who matters at Ford was on hand for this race. The budget to run this race was easily in excess of 10 million dollars, at least. And at 10AM the day of the race some French schmuck says we can't race. NO shit.

So 10 people go tearing out to find the nearest place we could buy 50 pairs of nomex shoes, that were in the color of our team gear, so we could race at LeMans. My pair was about $400 US and were 2 sizes too small, and I only had to wear them for some 30 hours. Welcome to LeMans.

Great stories, great memories, and great history. The movie was cool, it taught me alot about the history of the team I worked for, I am grateful for that.

One of my favorite memories from that year, me with Len Wood of the Famous Wood Brothers Nascar team, on pitlane, the morning if the 24 Hours of LeMans. Here are a few pics of the pits at LeMans and a few from the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona win the next year.Pretty cool experience, I was pretty damn lucky to be a small part of it.

Last edited by Seanmcd82; 23 February 2020 at 21:11.
Old 23 February 2020, 21:08
Been There Done That

Awesome story Sean - way cool. Never knew you were heavily involved.
Old 23 February 2020, 22:38
BTDT

Nice bit of history sean. Thanks
Old 23 February 2020, 22:42
Authorized Personnel

Awesome, Sean!
Old 23 February 2020, 22:50
In Vino Veritas

Thatís bad ass, super peanut butter and jelly
Old 24 February 2020, 09:05
Involuntary Yoga Guy

Whoa Sean, wow!
Thank you for sharing that! That’s a helluva story man. That is such a huge piece of racing history you just put a personal spin on.

There are obviously enough car guys here, that I bet you’d find a ready audience if you ever felt the urge to tell the story in greater detail. Just sayin... no pressure :-)

"Let's make this weird", ~Mike2CW

Our new posting rules