Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Closed Thread

Old 28 December 2015, 12:32
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Ass backwards. You want the military-style "experience" with better pay, more time off, and no hassles. Doesnt work that way.

Sorry Kiddo......but my instincts tell me that you are more interested in the "glamourous" aspects of it than you are in actually doing the job. Dont worry though, you aren't alone. Most of the cool guy pictures and videos come from guys who only wanted the same things you want. They dont tend to last long after the first time things get loud.

Either grab your nuts and go enlist and see if you have what it takes.....or stick to airsoft. You aren't getting into any PSC without first going into the military and proving yourself and paying your dues as part of a team.
Sir:

Why do you feel the need to sugarcoat everything?
Old 28 December 2015, 12:32
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Here is the career field you are looking to break into, with no experience or training I might add......

The initial allure to this industry was the money and the promise of visiting of foreign lands. The money is all but gone. Some guys are now standing a post in some shithole country for $300 a day, mostly because that is what they have done for the last decade and are trained to do it. For a 12 hour shift, that is less than $35 an hour.

That would be actually a very high paying static gig these days.. You would be lucky to get $300 a day.

That is probably with a combat arms MOS and minimum 1 year in combat theater or some verbiage to that affect.

Realistically, unless you have years of relevant mil or LEO, you might, might get a Kosovo type gig where you are probably making like 50K a year these days, getting treated like a child, shit leave time and not getting the check in the box to move on to better contracts..

TFG's point is spot on, even though generous in your probable daily pay.

Sltwtr1

OUT

Jack Bauer
Old 28 December 2015, 12:34
#AllLionsMatter

I could not contain it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vako View Post
I have always liked the idea of working in the military, though I have more of an interest in the private sector over working for the gov. The pay seems to be better and there seems to be a lot more freedom in PSC, especially when it comes to finding contacts and taking time off between contracts. Again, I lack info on this. That's why I'm here. I want to hear from the guys who have been there and done that :)
WTF?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg images (3).jpeg (6.7 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpeg images (2).jpeg (7.5 KB, 184 views)
File Type: png images.png (4.0 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpeg images.jpeg (7.1 KB, 184 views)

There is a limit to compassion.
Old 28 December 2015, 12:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
WTF?
This is what I have read and heard many times from contractors. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.
Old 28 December 2015, 12:55
Authorized Personnel

I don't think anyone here is going to be able to convince you of the realities of the overseas work. I guess it's just something you'll have to experience.

If it's something you truly want to do...then go and enlist. Spend the next 4-6+ years working on gaining the minimum requirements in whatever area you're wanting to go in...and then start applying.

I will add one more thing...if you are not 100% passionate about wanting to go into the medical field to help people, then stay the hell out of that field of work. DO NOT go medical just because you think you'll have a better chance getting onto a contract overseas. You'll get somebody killed.
Old 28 December 2015, 12:59
Administrator

This site is SOCNET, not Ihaven'tdoneathingnet.

We're happy to help those who took the step of serving, however, you aren't one of those.

You've been on the receiving end of more than you should have received.

Closed.
Closed Thread

Our new posting rules