Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 6 September 2016, 15:43

Question: PSS options for vets who've been out long

Good afternoon,

After speaking with a friend at our local gym, he was telling me about the overseas opportunity he has received and he said with my training, he couldn't see why I wouldn't be an asset. I told him how I've not "fit in" since getting out and miss the lifestyle.

When I got out I obtained my BSBA and currently work in government with Emergency Management (disaster planning/relief/mitigation), it just doesn't give me the sense of accomplishment or fulfillment I had before, and does not pay anywhere near what I could make as an overseas contractor.

However, my concern is I have not been in since 2004 and am now 39. While I was in the Corps I had my Secret and was told I was eligible for my TS.

I think part of the resistance I am getting is I have been out of Force Protection for quite some time. Or am I just too old at this point and that is a sticking point for some of the contract companies.

Is there some school that anyone would recommend that I could "update" my training and make me more marketable.
Old 6 September 2016, 16:34
Been There Done That

Do you have 1 yr in Iraq or Afg? If so, then it's easy. If not, you'll have to be patient. There are gigs out there for you. Experience is experience. Especially leadership. And your DDM certs help too.
Old 6 September 2016, 20:52
Confirmed User

Just to add....your clearance eligibility is long past current, you'd be starting from scratch in that area.
Old 7 September 2016, 17:12

Yes I realized I was screwed about my clearance. Last time I used it was in 2006 and I figured by now I was out of date. Hell I'm not even sure if EDS, TekSystems, IDS, or whoever held it last.

No time in the sandbox. In Albania, Kosovo, Panama closing, and some others. Got reactivated for OEF/OIF and was held stateside with 2 others from my prior unit.

Kind of odd because we were watching them tell former Motor T guys and other non-combat guys "Hey we are sending you over to Geiger for some squad brush up training" when they hadn't even handled a weapon in 2+ years. Meanwhile, between the three of us we pretty much had been to every combat-related school and they said they were keeping us stateside to help kick-up/train the RCTs and act as 5811s when not being tasked to training duties. And we had civilian jobs which required us to use our firearms routinely since we got out!

When we were demanding to go, the First Sergeant came over and made us stand tall and "understand the needs of the Corps."

Still trying to figure that one out.
Old 7 September 2016, 17:22
Been There Done That

I can send you contact info but you'll likely have to start at the bottom for a bit.
Old 7 September 2016, 23:32

I'd be much obliged for any guidance/recommendations.

Our new posting rules