Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 25 January 2017, 15:06
Conquer Life.

Apply Now: Stanford Ignite Veterans Program

The Stanford Ignite - Post-9/11 Veterans program is now accepting applications for the 2017 class.

I attended the program last year after viewing a post in this thread.

I have been wanting to write an AAR for months but simply haven't finished it yet... and as registration has opened for 2017, I just want to get this info out there as quickly as possible.

This was the best entrepreneurship program I have ever attended. There are a few times in life where you look around the room at who is sitting next to you and you very humbly wonder how the hell you were selected for such a thing. This was one such experience for me.

Our class consisted of a little bit of everyone from submarine officers to pilots to grunts and the full spectrum of SOF. It was a phenomenal group of people to learn with, share ideas, create projects and crack (more than) a few beers.

The guest speakers included the most highly esteemed faculty and staff to set foot on Stanford campus. The site visits included places like FB, Google, Tesla, etc. But most importantly were the people and the staff. Best in the world.

This program was so much fun and so brilliantly amazing that if you are even remotely interested in entrepreneurship or starting a business, I highly suggest you apply. You will not be disappointed.

Now, down to the need-to-know:
  • Info session: There will be a webinar info session on Thursday, Feb 2, 2017 @ 1700. View this link for details.

Application Deadline: March 2nd, 2017. View the main website for info and create an account here to apply.

Program Dates: 25 Jun – 20 Jul 2017. Class sessions are on Monday through Friday over four consecutive weeks.

Cost: $2,000 USD. This is a steal. The normal course for non-Stanford students is $14,500 and still extremely competitive.

Digital brochure: Click this link.

If you have any questions, please post or PM. I'll be happy to answer.

Once again, I cannot stress what an incredible opportunity this is. I applied even though I doubted I would make the cut... so you should do the same. You never know if you don't try.

“Now from a distance I look back on what the Corps taught me: To think like men of action, and to act like men of thought! To live life with intensity, and a passion for excellence.” - Jim Mattis
Old 25 January 2017, 22:52
Confirmed User

I'm interested.

What do you need in order to be a competitive candidate?
Old 25 January 2017, 23:45
Confirmed User

Balls, it was good to meet you briefly on campus last year.

For everyone reading this and seriously interested in innovation and entrepreneurship education, you'd be crazy NOT to give it a crack.

The full cost program represents great value, but the Veteran's Ignite program is crazy cheap.

I didn't do this program(I completed another Stanford GSB program) but met Balls and a few of his classmates briefly.

I defer to Balls for the Ignite Program, but happy to answer any questions I can about Stanford or offer what assistance I can as a GSB alumnus for those interested in applying.

Do it and build a successful biz.

Colonel Flagg, psychopathic guest star of M.A.S.H.
Old 26 January 2017, 00:00
Violent Social Worker

Awesome of you guys to spread the word about this.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 26 January 2017, 02:29
Vivat Fraternitatis

This and Breakline - another veterans program - are the two best ways of wiring up direct into the tech / Silicon Valley ecosystem.
Old 26 January 2017, 05:43
Conquer Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDuff View Post
I'm interested.

What do you need in order to be a competitive candidate?
Hard to answer. However, it appears that they try very hard to make the group diverse and well-rounded... which I think is brilliant because it creates an incredible class dynamic.

Everyone in the program was extremely clever and talented, but in different ways. More than a few had MBAs. Probably most were officers. Lots of Academy grads. Just about every branch, MOS and level of military experience were represented. Seemed about half were retiring or transitioning out soon.

Myself: Regular 0311. 4 years active. BA with an above average GPA. Only a little "real business" experience. Currently working at a startup. Although, to be very honest, I feel like I may have made it by the skin of my teeth. They selected 4-5 more than the previous year because of the quality of applications. Regardless, I'm damn glad I was accepted. If you would like, you can PM me and I'll add you on LinkedIn.

Advice: 1) In your application essays, clearly identify exactly why you are so passionate about wanting to join this program, what you will contribute and what you hope to get out of it. 2) Be sure your resume/CV is tailored for this type of small business/entrepreneurship program. 3) Get references from people who really know you well and can write convincingly about the quality of your character and abilities... don't just go for references from top of the chain somewhere who doesn't know you well.

Really, about the same as applying to an MBA, I suppose. There will be a round of interviews via web/phone before final selection where they will get to know you a bit more. Again, be sure to deliver.

I would imagine that the info seminar on Feb 2 will be a great resource for you

“Now from a distance I look back on what the Corps taught me: To think like men of action, and to act like men of thought! To live life with intensity, and a passion for excellence.” - Jim Mattis
Old 26 January 2017, 05:53
Conquer Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg View Post
Pleasure meeting you as well and thanks for a couple pitchers Would have been nice to catch up again, but I think we both had pretty hectic schedules.

x1000 on your final sentence... at the very least apply and see what happens. Meet folks, learn stuff, build something amazing, and then pay it forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBum View Post
This and Breakline - another veterans program - are the two best ways of wiring up direct into the tech / Silicon Valley ecosystem.
I've heard great things about Breakline. Slightly different as that's for career transition into top companies. But hell yes, take advantage of every resource out there and don't struggle with your transition. People want to help and they see incredible value, leadership and flexibility in vets. Never doubt yourself, just go for it. We need more veterans founding and growing companies.

Old 26 January 2017, 07:56
Been There Done That

Those look like amazing programs, wish they'd been there for me as a young guy.
I've been working in fintech for almost 20 years now, responsible for a handful of patents/products and regret not starting my own company years ago.
Now that the wife is going to vet school i can't possibly take the 4 weeks off work.

Young studs with a passion to start your company. Don't let anything stop you, this door opens MANY opportunities.
Old 26 January 2017, 08:20
Red Headed Stepchild

Great story brother. Made my day actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
I applied even though I doubted I would make the cut... so you should do the same. You never know if you don't try.
Can not say this enough.... every job I ever had I have felt this way. Apply, let them tell you no.
Old 26 January 2017, 09:06
Another pool cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavid View Post
Those look like amazing programs, wish they'd been there for me as a young guy.
I've been working in fintech for almost 20 years now, responsible for a handful of patents/products and regret not starting my own company years ago.
Now that the wife is going to vet school i can't possibly take the 4 weeks off work.

Young studs with a passion to start your company. Don't let anything stop you, this door opens MANY opportunities.
It is never too late.

There are wonderful opportunities for old fucks like us as well.
Old 26 January 2017, 14:59
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBum View Post
That looks like a really, really cool program.

I was disappointed to see my old company Amazon.com missing from the list.

I know they are aggressively hiring Veterans for a reported 100,000 jobs to be created in the US in the next 18 months.

I worked there in the early days, early in my career and hired a bunch of Vets before I became one myself, and before they had a Vet program, simply because the company desperately needed their skill sets.

Old 26 January 2017, 15:10
Confirmed User

Quote:
Pleasure meeting you as well and thanks for a couple pitchers Would have been nice to catch up again, but I think we both had pretty hectic schedules.

x1000 on your final sentence... at the very least apply and see what happens. Meet folks, learn stuff, build something amazing, and then pay it forward.

I've heard great things about Breakline. Slightly different as that's for career transition into top companies. But hell yes, take advantage of every resource out there and don't struggle with your transition. People want to help and they see incredible value, leadership and flexibility in vets. Never doubt yourself, just go for it. We need more veterans founding and growing companies.
I just got back from Hacking 4 Defense Educators Certification Course at Georgetown U(started at Stanford U last year).

H4D is blowing big cross the US(and now NZ and Aussie....we beat the Aussies by a few weeks by the way )based on Lean StartUp/Lean LaunchPad methodology.

If an H4D/H4X program starts near you, get involved, or just sit in for a few of the "clipped classroom" sessions.

https://www.facebook.com/Hacking4DefenseGeorgetown/?ref=ts&fref=ts

The business networking potential is incredible.

Check out: http://www.h4di.org

Old 26 January 2017, 23:49
Confirmed User

Quote:
That looks like a really, really cool program.

I was disappointed to see my old company Amazon.com missing from the list.

I know they are aggressively hiring Veterans for a reported 100,000 jobs to be created in the US in the next 18 months.

I worked there in the early days, early in my career and hired a bunch of Vets before I became one myself, and before they had a Vet program, simply because the company desperately needed their skill sets.
Here's detail on the Amazon Vet program:
https://techcrunch.com/2017/01/19/amazon-is-creating-an-apprenticeship-program-to-train-veterans-for-tech-jobs/

Old 27 January 2017, 09:30
Conquer Life.

I published an article to capture my thoughts on the program. Please feel free to share if you know anyone interested in attending. Don't forget the deadlines and dates above.

5 Reasons to Apply for the Stanford Ignite — Post-9/11 Veterans Program

Old 27 January 2017, 15:27
Confirmed User

Quote:
I published an article to capture my thoughts on the program. Please feel free to share if you know anyone interested in attending. Don't forget the deadlines and dates above.

5 Reasons to Apply for the Stanford Ignite — Post-9/11 Veterans Program
Excellent article!

I knew you guys had a session with Secretary Rice, but didn't know about General Mattis.

Now I'm all peanut butter and jealous.

It would be criminal for US Vets NOT to apply.

Old 27 January 2017, 15:47
Conquer Life.

Quote:
I knew you guys had a session with Secretary Rice, but didn't know about General Mattis.
He was a good sport and we had quite a laugh about the shirts but to say we got away with it without owing some push-ups would be false.

Old 28 January 2017, 17:04
The Copenhagen Kid

This is interesting.

Go get your motherfuckin' shine box.
Old 28 January 2017, 18:07
Confirmed User

Great write-up, and great to see you're doing well.
Old 1 February 2017, 06:03
Conquer Life.

Webinar, Feb 2nd @ 1700 PST

Friendly reminder: The webinar info session takes place tomorrow, Feb 2nd @ 1700 PST.

Link and info: click here

If you are even remotely considering applying, go for it! I cannot recommend this program highly enough.

Quote:
Thursday, Feb 2, 2017
5:00pm – 6:00pmPST|Find local time
Stanford Ignite Post-9/11 Veterans Information Session

See all location details
Please join us for an informational webinar about the Stanford Ignite Post-9/11 Veterans program, offered from June 25 to July 20, 2017 at the Stanford Graduate School of Business.

Stanford Ignite is a certificate program that teaches innovators how to formulate, develop, and commercialize their ideas. Participants will learn core business skills and experience working on a team to develop a business plan around a new product or service for an existing organization or a new venture.

Stanford Ignite classes are taught by the same Stanford Graduate School of Business faculty who teach in our MBA program. Prominent executives and corporate, venture, and angel investors participate as guest speakers, expert panelists and business mentors to provide candid feedback on team projects.

In this information session, we’ll provide an overview of the program including:

the program structure
the academic content
the application process
the benefits to participants
You will also have an opportunity to have your questions answered by Director Deborah Costa-Stone and Assistant Director Bryan Hiraki.

Speakers:

Deborah Costa-Stone
Director, Global Innovation Programs
Bryan Hiraki
Assistant Director, Global Innovation Programs

Old 3 February 2017, 13:09
Conquer Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEARED HOT View Post
This is interesting.
If you're going to apply and would like to chat about it, please just let me know.

I could also connect you to some fellow frogs who went through with me so you can get their .02 as well.

Our new posting rules