Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 5 December 2013, 11:11
Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlwithaGlock View Post
Another webinar source (these are podcasts, PDUs should be claimed in CAT C):

http://www.project-management-podcast.com/

NB: The free version does not provide PMI transcripts, so I recommend doing some sort of screen capture in iTunes/Google Reader so you have a proof of completion in case of audit.
Question for you GWAG, or any of the other members that might be able to help. I'm looking for some free/open source project management software. I've recently been named the PM for a Radar Lab installation at the college that I work at. I've assisted in projects like this before, but never had the lead. So, I'm looking to brush up on my knowledge and the link you provided above is helpful. While surfing that site I noticed they have a 'link' page, so I went there and found some open source, or what appears to be, open source software. There are a few listed and I wanted to know which one you think is best? Here is the page I am referring to:

http://www.project-management-podcas...ect-management

Maybe there is something else out there?

Thank you in advance.
Old 6 December 2013, 09:39
Russian Tycoon

Full disclaimer: personally, I have not used anything besides MS Project (and I hated every day of it).

With that said, I've heard good things about the following two open source PM tools (just as a reference point, the positive feedback came from my PM friends who use these programs for their small businesses):

Redmine

Project HQ
Old 6 December 2013, 09:44
Ungood

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWookie View Post
I'm looking for some free/open source project management software.
Excel. Interestingly enough, due to a lack of having MS Project on my work machine, I created an entire project plan using Excel. It wasn't nearly as bad as I told myself it would be.
Old 6 December 2013, 09:59
Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote:
Full disclaimer: personally, I have not used anything besides MS Project (and I hated every day of it).

With that said, I've heard good things about the following two open source PM tools (just as a reference point, the positive feedback came from my PM friends who use these programs for their small businesses):

Redmine

Project HQ
Outstanding, thank you very much!
Old 6 December 2013, 10:00
Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV View Post
Excel. Interestingly enough, due to a lack of having MS Project on my work machine, I created an entire project plan using Excel. It wasn't nearly as bad as I told myself it would be.
Thank you.
Old 19 January 2014, 20:41
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
If you can point to a heap of projects that you've successfully completed and talk intelligently about projects that failed and why they failed, do you really need a certification? At what point, if any, can your demonstrable work history stand on its own so that you don't have to participate in this PMP scam?
Yes, if you have lots of PM experience, you don't need it, or at least I haven't for about 18 years now.... and I avoid places that say they value it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBS View Post
I ran huge projects for a decade from about 96-06, managing many people and millions of dollars. My "certification" was advanced degrees in the field and years of experience. During this time PMP started being more popular and more rigidly demanded (thankfully not to me). Who was the first person in our small company to be certified? My secretary, who never managed a thing in her fucking life. It's definitely a fucking bullshit scam, and I personally have avoided any org that requires it. It's a luxury that many of you don't have, but a choice I have never regretted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarc88 View Post
Self-invented certification, by a self-funding "institute". Self-monitoring, and self-approving, not subject to any outside or peer-reviewed authoritative study. And the biggest scam indicator to me is the annual $$ requirement.
Definitely a bullshit scam. I worked at a company about 12 years ago that provided PM and Systems Engineering training to orgs like NASA, NSA, etc. and our CFO happened to be the President of the local PMI Chapter here in NoVA. When I'd talk to him about how PMP looked nothing like the more complex training our company provided, and asked him "what gives" on the new BS requirement and PMI in general, he explained how he helped play the political game to institutionalize it within the government.

And I asked him why not require a more substantive cert like the one he helped design where he was CFO, and I was disappointed with that answer too.

Basically just another lobbying/marketing scam. Our goverment is so full of this bullshit.
Old 8 April 2015, 04:13
On the Extract Bird

I've read through this entire thread and I gathered from it that majority of you think I shouldn't bother with the CAPM/PMP?

I'm starting my Masters of Arts in International Management with a specialization in Project Management. With that degree do you think I could skip on the PMP Certification?

I would think that SDGrunt619, MA would me more valuable than SDGrunt619, PMP. Any words of advice?

Semper
Old 17 June 2015, 07:00
Been There Done That

Quote:
Another webinar source (these are podcasts, PDUs should be claimed in CAT C):

http://www.project-management-podcast.com/

NB: The free version does not provide PMI transcripts, so I recommend doing some sort of screen capture in iTunes/Google Reader so you have a proof of completion in case of audit.
Update:

I just used this site to claim all 30 of my allowable CAT C PDUs in one shot. It gives you step by step instructions on how to do so.
They were approved in 24 hours without audit. No need to register or pay anything, just click the "claim 30 PDUs" button and follow the instructions.

If you do get audited, you don't need screenshots or anything- you can print out a log book, and just write down the names of the podcasts and their duration that you are claiming, and send that to them as proof.

Bada-boom, bada-bing. Couldn't have been easier. No need to pay money to do a bunch of gay shit to keep the PMP cert. Now all I have to do is claim 15 for working as a PM for the past 3 years, and another 15 for education, which should be covered by the Advanced Warrant Officer course.
22 Aug 17
Old 12 July 2015, 10:10
Been There Done That

Update 2:

Submitted this morning for 15 PDUs for the WOAC and 15 for working as a PM for 3 years, with a week to go before my PMP expired.

This time, the PDUs were approved instantly. So, the preferred technique seems to be to submit your claim on a Sunday morning, when nobody there is working and can scrutinize your claim.

So, bottom line, beyond the initial fee for the PMP class and testing, and $60 renewal fee every 3 years, nobody should have to spend a dime on anything to retain the cert.
22 Aug 17
Old 5 August 2015, 11:05
Über Equus Asinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGrunt619 View Post
I've read through this entire thread and I gathered from it that majority of you think I shouldn't bother with the CAPM/PMP?

I'm starting my Masters of Arts in International Management with a specialization in Project Management. With that degree do you think I could skip on the PMP Certification?
Late to the game on this... but...

If you want to work for the Fed Gov.. or as a contractor to the Fed Gov.. I dont think any degree would allow you to skip the PMP certification...

DOS has a major love affair with the cert, and often makes it a hard requirement people serving in project or program management positions... With the DOD, DOJ, and DHS I dont see the PMP as a hard requirement quite as often.. but.. occasionally I do see it listed when looking at their postings or position descriptions..

Want to be the PM or PgM on the new ACOTA contract opportunity that was just released a couple of weeks ago?

Better have your PMP.. its a hard requirement...

Want to be selected for the Front Office Senior Office Administrator position in DC that was just put on the street in mid July?

Better have your PMP.. again.. hard requirement..

How about the Project Management and Business Analyst position in DC that was just rolled out last week?

Once again.. the PMP is a hard requirement...

I have an MBA in Project Management.. have managed just under $1B in US Govt projects during my career at this point.. have several other "business certifications" on the resume (Six Sigma Blackbelt, ISO Auditor, TQM certified, etc..etc..).. but.. if I didnt have the PMP too... the Fed Gov wouldnt even consider me for any of the positions listed above..
Old 5 August 2015, 11:17
Über Equus Asinus

Regarding PDU's.. Im in agreement with most here... there is no reason to pay for them.. unless youre just looking for an easy way out..

If youre pursuing any sort of a business degree.. theyll accept coursework and give tons PDUs for it... same for business certification classes related to ISO, Six Sigma, TQM, or just about anything else.. so.. you can double dip and use those classes/courses you paid for to do something else.. to get PDU's for your PMP..

You get PDU's for working in the field..

You can get PDU's for getting published.. on just about ANY subject... I got an article published a few years back about conducting security audits.. I got another article published about 6 months before that about apply project management principles in a security program.. both were accepted by PMI and PDU's were awarded..

There are several online resources for training that are free that PMI will award PDUs for..

etc..etc..

I've had my cert for 6 years at this point.. Ive actually got to renew next month... have never paid a penny for a PDU.. and have enough logged with PMI to carry me all the way through 2018 right now..
Old 7 August 2015, 17:04
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

I'm lazy, so once again -- just like 3 yrs ago, I paid to take a couple of their approved courses and submitted my 15 PDUs of working in project management. All were literally approved within minutes and most important -- they fired off my authorization for giving them $150 so that I could continue to carry the PMP title at light speed, and just as fast for approval.

Sigh. The things we do to chase acceptance....
Old 27 October 2015, 21:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post

Want to be the PM or PgM on the new ACOTA contract opportunity that was just released a couple of weeks ago?

Better have your PMP.. its a hard requirement...

Want to be selected for the Front Office Senior Office Administrator position in DC that was just put on the street in mid July?

Better have your PMP.. again.. hard requirement..

How about the Project Management and Business Analyst position in DC that was just rolled out last week?

Once again.. the PMP is a hard requirement...
Yeah, it is a scam - but sometimes you have to play the game. I looked at it like this... Would I get a job just because I had the PMP cert? Definitely No.

Would I be prevented from getting certain jobs because I didn't have the PMP cert? Definitely Yes.

Therefore decided to go the "low dollar" route. Bought Rita's book, spent a solid week not showering, living on caffeine and carryout pizza. Took the test on the last day before my eligibility expired and passed - it can be done!
Old 20 December 2015, 17:20
???

After reading through this thread, I have a question that hasn't been covered in much detail.

In management consulting and Corporate America, it seems a PMP cert is 'required'. I'm signed up to take a class starting the first of March and should walk away with my PMP certification after about a week of drinking through a fire hose. My question is, do any SOCNETers in consulting find having a PMP cert merely a qualification needed to get a shoe in the door with clients or is it an ironclad must/contractual requirement?
Old 28 December 2016, 12:28
Russian Tycoon

If you haven't seen the update to the PMI's Continuing Certification Requirements, you should check it out. There are a lot of changes to the PDU policies that are ultimately making it more difficult (IMO) to maintain the certification. The new requirements can be found here:

CCR Handbook

So much for my brilliant idea to knock off all my PDUs through silly online trainings over the course of the holiday week!
Old 2 April 2017, 19:29
Confirmed User

Quote:
All,
2. One of the easy (and free) ways to get PDUs is through Defense Acquisition University (www.dau.mil). It is not listed as a PMI approved provider, but their classes are accepted for PDUs.
Figured I'd put some information associated with DAU here, since it intersects with a self reading program....

Defense Acquisition University (DAU) has put a bunch of periodical databases behind a CAC wall for anyone that's .mil

https://www.dau.mil/library

It's got access to Harvard Business Review and a bunch of other materials, including .mil distribution statement A periodicals/magazines that goes back many years.

To check obscurity, I ran a search on myself (a few articles co-authored and interviewed on some geeky stuff) and it pulled up the info. I ran some searches on my base and it pulled up black and white photos from an article in 1960 of my building.

Either way, useful research tool for .mil (military or civilian).
Old 6 April 2017, 06:50
Conquer Life.

Syracuse University's Institute for Veterans and Military Families offers free PMP training and certification through a sponsorship by JP Morgan Chase. Numerous other professional certifications are also covered.

I looked through the thread and did not see this mentioned anywhere. I have not done the course and don't have any feedback, but have heard great things from friends.

https://ivmf.syracuse.edu/veteran-and-family-resources/career-training/vctp/

“Now from a distance I look back on what the Corps taught me: To think like men of action, and to act like men of thought! To live life with intensity, and a passion for excellence.” - Jim Mattis
Old 6 April 2017, 13:08
Administrator

Taking my PMP exam on 12 May.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 6 April 2017, 23:26
Authorized Personnel

I was recently accepted for this and begin classes here in a few weeks. I'll definitely post a review once I get a feel for it.

For those interested, the slots are limited and they fill up fast from what I was told. I set an alarm for when they were accepting applications again and submitted as soon as I could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
Syracuse University's Institute for Veterans and Military Families offers free PMP training and certification through a sponsorship by JP Morgan Chase. Numerous other professional certifications are also covered.

I looked through the thread and did not see this mentioned anywhere. I have not done the course and don't have any feedback, but have heard great things from friends.

https://ivmf.syracuse.edu/veteran-and-family-resources/career-training/vctp/
Old 6 April 2017, 23:27
Authorized Personnel

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Taking my PMP exam on 12 May.

Our new posting rules