Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 10 December 2013, 15:55
Confirmed User

Job Training - Veterans Career Transition Program - Syracuse University IVMF

The Institute for Veterans and Military Families at Syracuse University recently expanded the enrollment eligibility criteria to its Veterans Career Transition Program to include eligible spouses.

If you're a post-9/11 veteran it's still, and always has been, available to you.

A grant from JPMorgan Chase fully funds tuition for up to 1000 veteran students per year. Through the current year they've approved enrollment for somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 students, so it's a very much underused resource.

The only real requirement is that your goals mesh with the training this program provides.

Applications to begin training with the January 2014 cohort are due by December 15th.

All training is conducted online so you can access this resource from anywhere in the country/world.

The program offers training in both "soft skills" (resume writing, interviewing, corporate culture, etc...) and technical skills (numerous CompTIA, Microsoft, Cisco, Oracle, isc2 certifications) as well as project management certification (SixSigma, PMP).

Here's a full list.

The following is a blurb from their most recent informational release along with a link to the homepage of the program.

Quote:
Veterans transitioning from the military to careers in civilian business/industry, government and other careers are often faced with two challenges:

1. How to translate education, experience, skills and training from a military to civilian environment to be a competitive candidate for recruitment and hiring

2. How to develop the soft skills necessary to succeed in a civilian corporate or government environment, particularly in
business sectors not closely connected to the military

The Veterans Career Transition Program, operated by the Institute for Veterans and Military Families at Syracuse University, is delivered at no cost to post-9/11 veterans through a grant from JPMorgan Chase & Co. VCTP offers solutions to the above challenges, as well as connections to
specific education and training programs, business/industry coalitions focused on veteran employment and information about national and state-level opportunities, and benefits for veterans and their families.

Through online courses—accessible from any location, at any time—veterans have the opportunity to gain understanding and
insight into the corporate culture of civilian business/industry, government and other civilian sector employment opportunities.

http://vets.syr.edu/education/employment-programs/
Good luck.

I'm not personally involved/affiliated with this program, but I'm affiliated with people who are. I don't stand to benefit in any way from your involvement with this, I offer it only as a PSA and a potential opportunity.
Old 19 January 2014, 20:29
On the Extract Bird

Thanks for this post, Soot. Was able to pass the info on to someone this weekend. Was supposed to be heading to the Syracuse area yesterday and unfortunately had to cancel. Something tells me it's really cold up there right now btw......
Old 6 September 2016, 08:55
Calix Meus Inebrians

Bumping this up to let people know he application process for the January 2017 courses are opening. I just applied for the PMP one the run (along with paying for one test), so here's hoping I get in and it does well.

Our new posting rules