Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 10 March 2015, 11:26

Center for Security and Emergency Management

Anyone know more about www.c4sem.org ? I got the link during ACAP and am wondering if their certifications are well regarded in the private security world? Has anyone done any of the classes, and if so are they useful? Anyone heard anything about certs from this training company giving any sort of edge in hiring or promotion process? Any information about this company would be useful, as the classes are pricey and I want to get a good training and recognition value for my time and money. Thanks SOCNET!

TL:DR I am aware of ASIS and IFPO as being important and am already planning on getting professional certifications through them, but would c4sem classes be an useful addition, or waste of time/money?
Old 18 March 2015, 13:11
NKDA

Well I can tell you this much: I have a Masters in Emergency Services Management from The George Washington University in DC (DC being the stated headquarters of the company you linked) and stay active in the EM community, but have never heard of them.

Not to mention, any website with links like "Army Cool", "Air Force Cool", etc. are suspect to me.

Not saying it is, but on the surface it would appear to be a GI Bill money mill - but I will gladly stand corrected if anyone has a counter to that.
Old 18 March 2015, 13:41
The Sagacious One

As you know I read the entire Internet, everyday. I have seen their site before, but I have never worked with anyone holding these credentials. It seems to me they are more of a clearing house for other certs (IT?) and have some of their own.

What are you looking to do? I would recommend Henley Putnam University.
Old 18 March 2015, 14:04

Army COOL / Navy COOL is an actual military program (with a terrible name) https://www.cool.army.mil/

I am looking to get into Security Management after seperating, I will be getting a BS in the field from CUNY John Jay, but the more industry certifications and credentials the better, right?

O_Pos, thank you for the response. In your job field, if you have never heard of them, they probably aren't worth hearing about.
Old 18 March 2015, 14:19
NKDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnemyTuba View Post
Army COOL / Navy COOL is an actual military program (with a terrible name) https://www.cool.army.mil/

Ah, yes - touché. A quick Google review has now refreshed my memory on that program. Haha. My bad.

But yes, the name/acronym could have been a little more... um... professional.
Old 18 March 2015, 14:36
NKDA

Also, forgot to mention: Peruse the FEMA Independent Study site and stack-up on their distance courses for free.

Many of them revolve around Emergency Suppory Function 13 - Safety and Security.

Also check out DHS Center for Domestic Preparedness website. Again some free online classes.

After you get your BS, look at George Washington University's Masters or Grad Cert in Safety and Security Leadership. I think it is all online now.
Old 18 March 2015, 16:58
Fan ar an gcosán

Quote:
Originally Posted by O_Pos View Post
... and stay active in the EM community, but have never heard of them.
Same here. I would suggest looking at your state's EM coordinators and/or association to see if they have certifications. May be a good stepping stone. Virginia has one that closely mirrors the CEM credential from IAEM, the de facto EM certification IMHO.

Also echo getting free FEMA courses, but not just online. They also offer resident programs and they reimburse for travel, put you up in dorms, and feed you for a nominal fee. Go Rams!
Old 19 March 2015, 22:14

Great! I will get into the FEMA and DHS stuff, thanks for all the info. Grad school is a little far off right now, but George Washington University looks promising.
Old 6 July 2015, 19:24
Doc McNasty

Have a look at Trident Univ as well. I got a MS in Emergency and Disaster Mgt from their College of Health Sciences, and found their curriculum fairly challenging yet interesting. And in the BS, they gave MAX credit for being an Independent Duty Corpsman. They are also one of the hands-down easiest schools to deal with in both academics and funding. A lot of my IDC compatriots took advantage of a similar program at GW, and have done well in and out of school.

I'm very mixed on the IAEM/CEM route. I work in Emergency Mgt for a living, and have never thought it would help. It's a self regulated, self funded, and invented cert like PMP. But it is nice to see any industry attempt at self regulation, I can't argue with that. In my MS thesis, I argued for the creation of a federally certified EM, and wrote the course based largely on FEMA work - it's not really rocket science.

Last edited by sarc88; 6 July 2015 at 19:31.
Old 6 July 2015, 21:27
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarc88 View Post
A lot of my IDC compatriots took advantage of a similar program at GW, and have done well in and out of school.
Mind if I ask what they do post grad that works out so well? I'm still blindly groping for a post-graduate program, and emergency management has always sounded appealing.
Old 6 July 2015, 21:34
The Sagacious One

Henley putnam offers post grad work in national security and terrorism
Old 7 July 2015, 06:38
Doc McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrax View Post
Mind if I ask what they do post grad that works out so well? I'm still blindly groping for a post-graduate program, and emergency management has always sounded appealing.
I like EM pretty well, I get to spend big budgets that enable the USN operational shore CONUS/OCONUS enterprise. The program isn't Rap Star Rich like we were in 06/08, more like "country band in the garage" rich. But still good work.

Other peers and classmates have gone on to 1st-time hirings that many of them are still in, I'm talking about the contracting and .gov world, as well as regional and local civil EM gigs.

EM as an industry is still pretty new, and the landscape is always changing. It used to be the domain of 30yr retired Fire chiefs who just wanted a part-time FEMA job to pay for the house in AZ. Now it's spilled over into financial and IT sectors, with newer and faster enabling technology all the time.

ETA: Just as a point of interest, one of my guys does a quarterly "Emerging Technology" brief, all open source stuff. There are some really cool EM toys out there, from self-filling sandbags to laser/GPS radar guns for rapid BDA

Last edited by sarc88; 7 July 2015 at 06:50.
Old 7 July 2015, 17:28
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarc88 View Post
snip
Pretty cool, thanks for the reply. I imagine its a good gig, especially in our neck of the woods.
Old 8 July 2015, 11:25
Confirmed User

not accredited at Department of Education And they listed regional accreditations too
http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/Search.aspx

http://www.adridenglobal.com is a partner with Center for Security and Emergency Management
Old 1 December 2015, 12:27
My ERB's on SOCNET

UD

http://universitycollege.du.edu/smgt/degree/masters/organizational-security-online/degreeid/433

Found this a couple weeks ago. UD is a good school, parts of it are in fact great (Korbel). Don't know how this equates to their on-line department but this looks pretty good.
Old 21 December 2015, 12:19

To add on to what troy2k said:

I'm currently in the dual BA and MS program at University of Denver (DU) for Security Management (emergency planning and response, organizational security). A Marine acquaintance who graduated from the program is doing Dip Sec for DOS now.

anecdotal experience:

Pros: Quarter system.. 10 weeks per class instead of semesters. My advisor is fantastic and has championed me taking above average coarse loads and has made recommendations for strategy to meet my objectives/goals. She has been a straight-shooter with accurate information. Over all, professors have been great. Based on experience from previous lives, some topics or classes will be extremely easy. There are some give-me scholarships and grants available. Career Center - I've been able to hunt down and form relations with head recruiters at local companies through DU.

Cons: VA rep: Document everything and you have to really be on top of policy. She isn't the most timely with bad news/DU policy changes, either. In their defense, DU paid the bill when I was overpaid. Based on their 4-credit classes, you will not meet the required ratio and you will not receive full BAH with the GI Bill, if that is your education benefit of choice. As far as BA, -all- previous coursework will count as electives and you will have to repeat some classes.
Old 21 December 2015, 19:16

bcn:

That is good information to know, particularly the VA side of things. I am about halfway done with my BS - Security Management and haven't touched my GI Bill yet, so I expect at least some to carry into MS side. I wasn't aware DU offered an undergrad degree in Security Management, I had only seen the Masters. Seeing as you have to re-take classes anyway, I don't see the advantage to switching into the dual program as opposed to finishing at my current school, then looking at Master options. Would you say if there is an advantage to transferring into their dual program?

(I have about 3 months left on my current active duty contract, so switching schools for when I get out to do brick and mortar school isn't a big issue if htey accept transfer credits)
Old 21 December 2015, 19:48

First, I must provide clarification on my part: Security Management is graduate level only; you initially understood correctly and I was not clear.

If you are working towards your undergrad, as soon as you have a 3.7 GPA, you can apply for dual program of Masters and Bachelors, which will also enable you to apply for graduate level scholarships and grants. This can be 100% online and recently had this confirmed by staff in an email.

I'm typically doing four classes at a time (16 credit hours/10 weeks) and my lowest grade has been a 90 (highest 100+). I say that not to brag, but to show it is very doable and I am confident others can be just as, if not more, successful.

Further information: look into vocational rehabilitation. It is becoming a much better option than Ch 33/Post 9-11. I'm in the process of educating myself better about that process.

All are welcome to message me and I will answer what I can. I don't want to hijack the thread and steer it off course.

Our new posting rules