Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Closed Thread

Old 27 December 2015, 21:50

Training for the private security field. Advice welcome!

Hello and thank you for allowing me to join this community! My name is Clint and I am looking to get experience to get my foot in the door with a private security career. I do not have prior military or LE experience so I humbly come to ask for any and all advice on this issue. I have realized that I really do need military experience so that I may properly recieve and retain training for the future. I have also taken an interest in the medical side of the military for the sake of wanting to learn the skillsets for myself as well as it helping me get into private security after the military. I welcome all advice on my train of thought so far, my main question is, what would you recommend as far as what to apply for in the military that would help me get my foot in the door in private security? I would obviously need combat experience and I do believe that strong medical training would make me more valuable in the private sector. Should I be looking at applying to become an army medic? Again, I lack much experience and knowledge on this, so I welcome all advice and wisdom from you. Thank you!
Old 28 December 2015, 00:08
All Labs Matter

Security? That's a very broad field, much like "technology". Can you be more specific?
Old 28 December 2015, 00:29
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

I agree with TCG -- you are insinuating a specific area, but you aren't coming out and stating it clearly. Furthermore, why do you need mil training to retain something you learned? And good luck with getting that combat experience -- make sure you tell you recruiter to ensure you don't enlist between wars.

I bet you are alluding to executive protection -- and if you are -- prior mil does not give you any wonderful talent that you could not have obtained elsewhere....
Old 28 December 2015, 00:34
Life is simple, not easy.

Devil is in the details!

Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old 28 December 2015, 01:05

Ah I'm sorry for the vagueness. My goal is to get into overseas armed protection contracts with a security company. I do not have any specific companies in mind but I'm hoping to find some people who may have direct experience in this field to speak to this more. Any information, tips, or resources are highly encouraged. I'm here to learn! Thanks guys :)
Old 28 December 2015, 03:08
Authorized Personnel

While I strongly advise you against your chosen idea of a career...the answer to your question is quite simple. Read the job postings for jobs you want, then do what it takes to exceed the minimum requirements.
Old 28 December 2015, 09:29
The Sagacious One

Here is the career field you are looking to break into, with no experience or training I might add......

I try not to use absolute standards, like never, but it will be extremely difficult for you to step from the repair shop in a department store into an armed security position with zero military or LEO experience. As stated, the LEO and MIL experience does not teach the trade necessarily, but it does show your ability to solve complex problems under stress. That said....

The initial allure to this industry was the money and the promise of visiting of foreign lands. The money is all but gone. Some guys are now standing a post in some shithole country for $300 a day, mostly because that is what they have done for the last decade and are trained to do it. For a 12 hour shift, that is less than $35 an hour.

Needless to say there is a surplus in the labor pool for this work. The allure of foreign lands, well, I think the CENTCOM Theater has lost its allure for many folks.

My advice to you, after seeing that you are a maintenance technician is to pursue a career in cyber security. It is the wave of the future. By doing so you can:

Pursue a new and better paying career
Stay with your family while doing so
Gain education and experience gradually until you can make the break from your current job.

Give it some thought.
Old 28 December 2015, 09:55
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Here is the career field you are looking to break into, with no experience or training I might add......

I try not to use absolute standards, like never, but it will be extremely difficult for you to step from the repair shop in a department store into an armed security position with zero military or LEO experience. As stated, the LEO and MIL experience does not teach the trade necessarily, but it does show your ability to solve complex problems under stress. That said....

The initial allure to this industry was the money and the promise of visiting of foreign lands. The money is all but gone. Some guys are now standing a post in some shithole country for $300 a day, mostly because that is what they have done for the last decade and are trained to do it. For a 12 hour shift, that is less than $35 an hour.

Needless to say there is a surplus in the labor pool for this work. The allure of foreign lands, well, I think the CENTCOM Theater has lost its allure for many folks.

My advice to you, after seeing that you are a maintenance technician is to pursue a career in cyber security. It is the wave of the future. By doing so you can:

Gain education and experience gradually until you can make the break from your current job.

Give it some thought.

+1. Outstanding post.

Working overseas is not all it is cracked up to be.

I would advise you, if you have not served and are eligible, and if this is the route you want to go - then go enlist!

Stay in 20, or get out and become a EMT/Paramedic or Firefighter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 28 December 2015, 10:01
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post

Give it some thought.
Should you choose that route, there are a number of threads here dealing with breaking into that particular field, and while I may be biased, I think it's a pretty good gig. Check the technology and communications forum.

While true:
Continue
Old 28 December 2015, 10:42
Been There Done That

Why not apply as a maintenance tech for jobs overseas? Learn how to fix aircraft...those things are never working properly.
Old 28 December 2015, 10:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275RLTW View Post
Why not apply as a maintenance tech for jobs overseas? Learn how to fix aircraft...those things are never working properly.
Bingo. There are plenty of well paying jobs for maintenance types including areas that aren't dangerous (per se). In the OCONUS area where I live, most of the US contracting gigs are aviation related with the majority of these being maintenance.

There are also long term GS and contractor gigs for maintenance guys at military bases worldwide including Korea, Germany, Japan, etc. Why not look into those?

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 28 December 2015, 11:31

Thank you for the great advice guys! I am still very interested in joining the military for the experience and training. I think I would prefer the medical field if i can. I love the idea of working contracts overseas. Especially security. I understand that it seems PMC jobs are getting slim, though I don't think that will last long. America is always at war with someone. Would I have better luck finding contacts overseas for medical jobs? It may be quite childish, but I am very interested in the apeal of being a military contractor. If you're with me this far, is army medical the way to go? What would you recommend? Thank you for your advice thus far and I will be doing research on overseas technician jobs.
Old 28 December 2015, 11:52
Administrator

Seems to me like you are overly impressed by the cool guy pics and videos you have seen of PSCs working overseas in dangerous locations. Bear in mind that there is a lot that you dont see.....shit food, shit living conditions, shit pay, boredom, the list goes on and on. Not to mention that when the bullets start flying or the IEDs start going off and things start getting very real very fast, the allure of the cool guy shit goes out the window very quickly.

If you want to be in the military, go enlist in what you are interested in. Go be a Ranger Medic. You will get all the danger and adventure you can handle. But, thinking that doing PSC work is some sort of career that the military is just a stepping stone to get to tells me 1) you have no idea what you are talking about, 2) your maturity level isn't anywhere near where it needs to be at this point and 3) you are looking at this whole thing ass-backwards.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 28 December 2015, 11:55
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vako View Post
I love the idea of working contracts overseas. Especially security.
What about this job field attracts you?
Old 28 December 2015, 11:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Seems to me like you are overly impressed by the cool guy pics and videos you have seen of PSCs working over sea's in dangerous locations. Bear in mind that there is a lot that you dont see.....shit food, shit living conditions, shit pay, boredom, the list goes on and on. Not to mention that when the bullets start flying or the IEDs start going off and things start getting very real very fast, the allure of the cool guy shit goes out the window very quickly.

If you want to be in the military, go enlist in what you are interested in. Go be a Ranger Medic. You will get all the danger and adventure you can handle. But, thinking that doing PSC work is some sort of career that the military is just a stepping stone to get to tells me 1) you have no idea what you are talking about, 2) your maturity level isn't anywhere near where it needs to be at this point and 3) you are looking at this whole thing ass-backwards.
You are probably right. I do lack all the experience and knowledge about this. Nonetheless I still feel drawn to it and I would love the life experience.
I respect your input and I will think about your advice.
Old 28 December 2015, 12:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0699 View Post
What about this job field attracts you?
I have always liked the idea of working in the military, though I have more of an interest in the private sector over working for the gov. The pay seems to be better and there seems to be a lot more freedom in PSC, especially when it comes to finding contacts and taking time off between contracts. Again, I lack info on this. That's why I'm here. I want to hear from the guys who have been there and done that :)
Old 28 December 2015, 12:24
Confirmed User

Do you have a college degree?
Old 28 December 2015, 12:25
Administrator

Quote:
I have always liked the idea of working in the military, though I have more of an interest in the private sector over working for the gov. The pay seems to be better and there seems to be a lot more freedom in PSC, especially when it comes to finding contacts and taking time off between contracts. Again, I lack info on this. That's why I'm here. I want to hear from the guys who have been there and done that :)

Ass backwards. You want the military-style "experience" with better pay, more time off, and no hassles. Doesnt work that way.

Sorry Kiddo......but my instincts tell me that you are more interested in the "glamourous" aspects of it than you are in actually doing the job. Dont worry though, you aren't alone. Most of the cool guy pictures and videos come from guys who only wanted the same things you want. They dont tend to last long after the first time things get loud.

Either grab your nuts and go enlist and see if you have what it takes.....or stick to airsoft. You aren't getting into any PSC without first going into the military and proving yourself and paying your dues as part of a team.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 28 December 2015, 12:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoepoe View Post
Do you have a college degree?
I do not.
Old 28 December 2015, 12:32
Been There Done That

Quote:
Wrong on all counts.

Military: 30 days paid leave plus holidays, tuition reimbursement, normal working hours, medical coverage, housing & food, etc...

Contracting: no paid vacation (some gigs don't pay you for days off even while in country), no college money, 12+ hour days 6-7 days a week, pay out the ass for your own medical coverage, buy your own food, no support for family, etc...

Picture a little clearer now? Most of us on gigs are so because it's all we know. It's not glamorous at all. Add in seeing your kids grow up on Skype, child support payments that fund your ex's new house and car for her boyfriend to use, and knowing that if things go bad in country you're on your own, it's not what you seem to think it is. Do something useful instead.
Closed Thread

Our new posting rules