Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 17 August 2016, 14:40
Authorized Personnel

Free Cybersecurity Training for Vets

This looks like it's an amazing perk for Veterans. It looks like the demand for individuals with this skill set is booming, and somebody had an awesome idea to extend training to Veterans.

LINK

Quote:
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Hire Our Heroes have teamed up to offer training for Veterans in cybersecurity, in support of Veterans join our nation’s cybersecurity workforce.

DHS’s Federal Virtual Training Environment (Fed VTE) offers free online, on-demand cyber security training to government employees and Veterans. Veterans can sign up for an account through the Hire Our Heroes website and follow instructions through “ID me” to verify veteran status and register for a FedVTE account.

DHS also offers a Veterans Cybersecurity Training and Education Guide to help Veterans assess their readiness and interest in a cyber security career, prepare and plan for the necessary training, and engage by developing cybersecurity skills and abilities.

Fed VTE has over 100,000 users and contains more than 800 hours of training. Users can take courses in risk management, malware analysis, mobile and device security and ethical hacking....
Old 17 August 2016, 17:06
I aim to misbehave

FedVTE is not bad training, especially for entry level.

May want to check out OpenSecurityTraining.info for more advanced/specialized training. It's not vet-specific, but good training, free of charge.

While true:
Continue
Old 17 August 2016, 19:39
Confirmed User

I think I linked to this a while back in the Signal to Cyber thread. Regardless it seems like a great resource. I'm currently going through the Security+, which is a bit over my head at time but still good learning.

I just wish the courses came with prep material of some kind. Gets a little dry watching what amounts to Powerpoint presentations.
Old 17 August 2016, 23:17
I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrax View Post
I'm currently going through the Security+, which is a bit over my head at time but still good learning.
Feel free to ask if you have questions or need help. Plenty of members here that are seasoned pros in the security arena.

While true:
Continue
Old 18 August 2016, 20:51
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOFH View Post
Feel free to ask if you have questions or need help. Plenty of members here that are seasoned pros in the security arena.
I appreciate that. But as the questions I have could fill a book I'll try not to be too obnoxious.
Old 18 August 2016, 21:02
Vivat Fraternitatis

I'd say a good pipeline is read the Signal to Cyber thread > FedVTE > Security+ > OSCP > CISSP > OpenSecurityTraining stuff (that shit is quite advanced -- assembly language, rootkit development, etc). In parallel, read the book "Code" by Charles Petzoldt and listen to "Risky Business" and "Security Weekly" podcasts. That's a bomb ass baseline from which to launch a cybersecurity career.
Old 20 August 2016, 09:49
Confirmed User

Very informative post, I appreciate it.
Old 28 September 2016, 20:14
Confirmed User

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this question in. If it isn't please delete.

I recently got out of the Army and am starting a business. I have learned my lesson in life regarding having a plan B and I am interested in developing a skill set in cyber security and finding a job in this field in addition to what I am doing with my business.

I am going to check out the FED VTE website that I saw in the link earlier on in this thread.

I was wondering if anyone in the know is aware of a program I could take fully online that would accept my post 911 GI bill. This program would have to cater to complete beginners. Reason I want to use the GI Bill is that money is tight right now and even the 7-800 dollars I would get for a full time online course load would help. I am, however, not opposed to going the route listed in the FED VTE site if that is the best option out there. Thanks ahead of time for any responses.
Old 28 September 2016, 22:58
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike76233 View Post
Not sure if this is the right thread to post this question in. If it isn't please delete.

I recently got out of the Army and am starting a business. I have learned my lesson in life regarding having a plan B and I am interested in developing a skill set in cyber security and finding a job in this field in addition to what I am doing with my business.

I am going to check out the FED VTE website that I saw in the link earlier on in this thread.

I was wondering if anyone in the know is aware of a program I could take fully online that would accept my post 911 GI bill. This program would have to cater to complete beginners. Reason I want to use the GI Bill is that money is tight right now and even the 7-800 dollars I would get for a full time online course load would help. I am, however, not opposed to going the route listed in the FED VTE site if that is the best option out there. Thanks ahead of time for any responses.

I would first contact the school an ask them about the GI Bill, an if the school is a accredited school, it also depends on will the GI Bill pay full price for online course, some they do an some they don't.

Last edited by wildman43; 28 September 2016 at 23:01. Reason: wording
Old 28 September 2016, 23:28
Been There Done That

Mike,
Not sure where you are in SOCAL, I attend CTA here in Temecula, the main campus is in Riverside. Last year I took the COMPTIA A+ Crs and now I'm 3/4 done with the BOAS course, all Microsoft certified. Great instructors and they assist with job placement upon completion. My requirement is 18 hours per week, broken down to 8hrs in the classroom and 10hrs at home/online. Give them a call and set up a student interview. If you go the 18 hr per week route that BAH is $1970.00 not $700. They also provided me with a new laptop when I started COMPTIA A+ last year and another new laptop when I started BOAS in March, they consider them "separate enrollments". I have ZERO complaints with them. Hope this helps and good luck.

http://www.cta.edu/
Old 29 September 2016, 16:54
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
your post
Thanks a lot for the response. Best possible news I could have heard. I am in the Palm Springs area so driving to Riverside is no big deal. 18 hours per week is great for me and I have no issue driving out there. Especially if the BAH is what it is. Again, much appreciated.

Stupid question, If I set up an interview should I dress business casual or do I need to do the suit and tie deal?

Either way, Socnet is the shit. Once I can in a few days I'll send another donation its way. Thanks again.
Old 29 September 2016, 20:15
Been There Done That

It's a school interview not a job interview, wear what you would normally wear everyday, jeans, shorts, polo, t-shirt whatever. The instructors wear jeans/polo. There's a few gym's in the immediate area so you can get your PT in before heading to class, school runs from 0900-2000 daily, they'll give you a sched. There is no time schedule as long as you meet your hour requirements prescribed in the 'Post 9/11'. Only thing/advice I can give is to do the A+ as fast as possible because the testing/lab and "Booth" exams are a no shitter and the quicker you're done the more you retain. Good luck.
Old 2 October 2016, 22:47
Confirmed User

Not a cyber guy and I've stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, however am supporting a workforce development team addressing parts of cyber education...

The National Initiative for Cybersecurity Education (NICE) model is where all the major agencies are migrating to to ensure at least Cyber education is pointing in a general direction. It isn't prescriptive, rather, just organizes it in a way that everyone can at least speak a common language.

If work is for the federal government, use the following resources to map your career pathway:

- NICE Education
- Training Providers List
- Interactive Workforce Development Model
- DoD Cybersecurity guide for the Acquisition Workforce: This is useful for current policy and guidebooks.

Example: Cybersecurity>Securely Provision>Test and Evaluation

The above link provides information on Competencies, KSA, Tasks, and Job Titles. Associated training is on the right-hand side.
Old 4 October 2016, 16:25
Confirmed User

WGH,

Just wanted to say thank you again! I am heading out to Riverside in a couple of days to meet with a counselor. Good to hear about the gyms in the area as well. I'll do the A+ quickly and then move forward from there.

Like I said, when my check comes in I'll shoot a donation Socnet's way.

All the Best,
Mike
Old 21 December 2016, 19:31
Confirmed User

Fed VTE/Security+ AAR

As per my (and others) posts above, I went through the FedVTE Security+ course and passed the certification test today.

I have zero networking or computer security experience, and would instead describe myself as an advanced novice. As such, I found the test itself to be pretty challenging. As others here have said, Security+ is a pretty basic certification, but I found the process of going through it to be a great learning experience.

That said, I'm not sure I would use FedVTE again. At least for this course, I just sat through the 19 hours of video, which wasn't exactly engaging. If I could do it over again, I would've bought a book, or some more interactive learning materials.

All said, I'm glad I did it. Happy to answer any questions.
Old 22 December 2016, 03:10
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike76233 View Post
WGH,

Just wanted to say thank you again! I am heading out to Riverside in a couple of days to meet with a counselor. Good to hear about the gyms in the area as well. I'll do the A+ quickly and then move forward from there.

Like I said, when my check comes in I'll shoot a donation Socnet's way.

All the Best,
Mike
Any update? It's good to see some follow up when our members are taking the plunge.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 5 April 2017, 00:15
Confirmed User

Sorry for the late response. Hadn't checked this thread for some time. Thanks for the interest in following up.

I completed my Comptia A+ 901 and 902 certifications back in late January and I'm now in a 10 month long MCSE program where I get the certificates required to become a Network Administrator. After that, I will be working towards security certifications like Security + and a few others that will probably be covered under the GI Bill by the time I finish the MCSE. The school is a good deal, MCSE and A+ combined doesn't even use a full year of my post 911.
Old 11 June 2017, 04:46
Confirmed User

Recently finished my Windows OS certification and am working on Microsoft server. I should have all certs required for my MCSA (network administrator) by October. I typed MCSE by mistake in my last post. I'm going to try and get some kind of internship once I do this. I heard the VA can help with that. I will also start cybersecurity certification courses immediately following my MCSA.

Our new posting rules