Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 12 May 2008, 15:16
3rd Generation SOF

Well, this advice comes from someone who just finished their first year contracting so you can take it for what it's worth...

1) Applying: Once I knew my terminal leave dates I was applying to most PSD companies I heard of. I did this online and went threw about 10 resume styles. One thing I did was ALWAYS followed up with calls if able.

2) Networking: While this idea is probably the best piece of advice HANDS DOWN, when I started I didn't know anyone. Develop "people" skills and learn to let others talk and you listen. Some people always want to tell their excuses for something they messed up or want to tell their story... You can save those things for another day. When you meet people, listen to their story, get them to talk. That always seems to make people remember you more.

3) My 1st Call: My first call was kinda short lived. XYZ company called and asked about some of my background. Since I was SOF, they wanted to know some questions and specifics that related to their contract. Unfortunately, I wasn't hired. Some people told me I should have "stretched" my experience and stuff. Luckily, I didn't. I already knew what those kinds of guys do to a 4 man team operating in hazardous countries. BUT, one thing I did do was wait and called that same recruiter back about once every 4-6 weeks. He ended up giving me a different job, and yes, it was WPPS.

4) Training: I knew a guy from CAG who gave me a piece of advice when I started looking at why no one was calling me back about a job in the beginning. I said "I'm a former SOF guy, do I need more schools, deployments, what??? Should I pay for some extra schools?" My friend told me that there is too many companies out there willing to pay for you to go through their training, so I shouldn't have to pay for it myself. I never did pay for any schools, luckily.

What I did in the end was before getting a WPPS slot is I took a job just getting me overseas again (in a non-armed roll) doing driving. I hated it but did it for 4 months gaining experience living and working around Arabs until XYZ Company offered me the WPPS slot.

Now, this is the SAME advice I have given my friends from "regular" Army units and they are now in the same place I am. They said at first, well I'm not SOF, and don't have all the cool guy schools... But they are now here, getting they same money I get and live just a few trailers down from me. Being former SOF got me no further than they got...

IF you do get hired, PLEASE be the "quiet" professional. Don't come over here and get drunk with the "gang" because you're afraid you won't "fit in". This isn't high school. If you want a beer then fine. But your ass better not be hung over on the run the next morning or end up drunk starting fights with coalition forces. Be a grown up, take advice, realize that you aren't gonna tell people "the better way", and don't go around background checking people or talking about how cool you were in the Marines and that the Air Force is a bunch of pussies... Because the man in front of you, you know nothing about, he might just be a Air Force "pussy" Combat Controller who stomps your ass in front of everyone. Then you just look dumb from then on.

Hope that helps. Like I said in the beginning, I'm a noobie too, so take my opinions for what they're worth...

Last edited by KamoKid; 12 May 2008 at 15:29. Reason: spelling
Old 12 May 2008, 16:35
Been There Done That

Great advice here and I'd like to add my two cents with some basics, I feel embarrassed to even bring it up but I've witnessed numerous good guys fail because of poor prior planning.

The subject of resumes has been discussed and I won't add to it except to say...keep it honest, don't lie and don't embellish what you did.

Some companies use phone interviews to feel you out, if you are put in that position try to conduct the interview on a land line vs. cell phone. It's easier to understand what you're saying in many cases.

Talk like a professional, be clear and concise with your answers, don't ramble, if you like to hear yourself talk...shut up, don't use profanity, and above all else - Be honest.

Expect to be checked out, we all have skeletons in our closet, if one of them comes up in the conversation be prepared to address it. Just because you have a blemish in your background isn't always a reason to turn a good guy away, but deception or evading the question most likely will be.

You may be the biggest baddest barrel chested freedom fighter in town and the greatest thing since sliced bread but don't be over confident or cocky, save that for later.
Old 22 May 2008, 15:00
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamoKid View Post
BUT, one thing I did do was wait and called that same recruiter back about once every 4-6 weeks. He ended up giving me a different job, and yes, it was WPPS.
Can someone clarify this for me? I'm not particularly learned about all things PSD/Contracting but I thought this was just a program that covered the PMC companies State had hired?
Old 23 May 2008, 15:04
Administrator

WPPS is a program run and administered by DOS.

Under this program contracts are awarded. DOS does not "hire" companies in the traditional sense. They award contracts and issue task orders for performance. The program is not individual company dependent. The companies perform whatever part of the contract they are awarded under the umbrella of this program.
Old 4 September 2008, 08:44

just getting started!

I have read all three pages and now realize how little I know about contract security work! If it is even possible to "know" how little you know.
I served 13 years with the 82nd (Iraq 90-91, Rwanda/Uganda 94, Tuzla airbase 95-96, Liberia 96), 2/29 Instructor 96-98, AMCOM ops/tng 99-02, and 2ID S-5 Hovey 02-03. I did one year armed security at Redstone Arsenal Huntsville Alabama after retiring and am now working with CSA in Kuwait. They are not holding up to there end of the agreement/contract but that will not keep from giving 100% while I'm here.
I am writing to ask for info on training when I am through here. Where do I find reputable courses for PSD, and defensive and offensive driving?
Being honest: when csa started messing with my hours/pay and how they were going to account for the hours worked, I started applying for positions elsewhere. I do think I deserve a job nor do I believe I qualify for all the jobs I want to work! I am simply asking people who I can see know, "How do I get the training that companies want you to have?" Are there any near Huntsville Alabama or that area of the states? One of the posts talked about Blackwater North. Do you have to ask and then be invited to their training, or can you pay to go?
Any names of places to attend reputable training will be greatly appreciated!
Bluepit
Old 4 September 2008, 13:33
Proud wearer of a Beard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepit
I am writing to ask for info on training when I am through here. Where do I find reputable courses for PSD, and defensive and offensive driving?
I have less than 2 yrs contracting experience. I looked at numerous PSD courses prior to getting my first gig, and went to a reasonable well-known one.

In my experience, limted as it is, undergoing a "PSD" course is less valuable than undergoing training for a specific skillset/s such as medical, driving, and precision shooting.

Unless the HR dept is looking for specific schools, which seems rare, then the "experience" of undergoing PSD training is not that valuable. You should train to learn a skill which is both marketable and useful, and not to just obtain a "PSD" qualification on your CV.

Good luck with it...
Old 29 October 2010, 17:45
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSI View Post
Your post
I don't really know what to make of your post, but there are somethings in there that just don't seem right.
Old 29 October 2010, 18:04
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSI View Post
Some other things which are basic, but so many people don't have together (advice given to me from Wolf Weiss before he was killed).
Umm Your joking right???

RO!!!
Old 29 October 2010, 18:41
Confirmed User

I must be tired. I keep wiping my eyes to make sure im not reading a fairy tale.
Old 23 May 2011, 17:17
Banned User

my dilema and getting started

hey,Im new to this site and Im currently active duty Army but im recieving a chapter 14 under general conditions. Ive been in going on 2 years now and Ive had almost every training the army ( or atleast my command) could offer me and have excelled at most, but never deployed. Im an 11B and looking into going into the PSD/PMC field. Does my situation screw me? Or do I have a chance. Im probubly discharging in the next 2 to 3 months and was looking into going to a tactical or EP school. Ill be on the east coast but Im more than willing to travel for training. Any help is greatly appriciated. Tnx
Old 23 May 2011, 18:07
Been There Done That

2 years active duty? Chapter 14? Why would anyone in this world hire you? What would someone want to invest money and time into someone who didnt last 2 years AD? Not meant to be a dick, but this is the big boy world where we have to trust our team mates, and you are off to a bad start. I would start thinking school if I were you.

me 26FEB20133538PST

Last edited by Virgil Tibbs; 23 May 2011 at 18:11.
Old 23 May 2011, 18:37
Banned User

Not that i didnt last, command decided to make an example out of me.
Just thought that someone who actually came from a combat MOS would still be useful in this field.

but tnx
Old 23 May 2011, 18:46
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeman View Post
Not that i didnt last, command decided to make an example out of me.
Just thought that someone who actually came from a combat MOS would still be useful in this field.

but tnx
LOL. As if you were the only combat arms MOS candidate left, right? Certainly, there would be no one else out there with a combat arms MOS applying for these jobs. And with two wars going on, even less chance of someone with a combat arms MOS who actually deployed, right?

Well, I think we know the answers to that....
Old 23 May 2011, 18:55
Been There Done That

What kind of clearance do you think you could get? When asked about your discharge what will you say? That you were made an example of? It's always someone else's fault. Ponder these things and think of accountability. Good first step.

me 26FEB20133538PST
Old 23 May 2011, 19:11
Banned User

First off I didnt not mean it to look that i was placing blame and of course im not the only one of my kind in or trying to get into this field. I know ther are plenty, probubly everyone other than me who is more qualified for this kind of work. My discharge is due to a drug problem i had. I self admitted myself to rehab and am proud to say i have been clean for 2 months. I have nothing to hide and everything to gain. I love the suck and i think i was born for it. i would love to be a part of the PSC/PMC world. and i thought there would be somewhere i could start wiether it be some sort of school or training or anything.

any info is greatly appriciated.
harsh or not.
tnx
Old 23 May 2011, 19:15
Been There Done That

Dude, I would be thinking about school.

me 26FEB20133538PST
Old 23 May 2011, 19:20
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeman View Post
First off I didnt not mean it to look that i was placing blame and of course im not the only one of my kind in or trying to get into this field. I know ther are plenty, probubly everyone other than me who is more qualified for this kind of work. My discharge is due to a drug problem i had. I self admitted myself to rehab and am proud to say i have been clean for 2 months. I have nothing to hide and everything to gain. I love the suck and i think i was born for it. i would love to be a part of the PSC/PMC world. and i thought there would be somewhere i could start wiether it be some sort of school or training or anything.

any info is greatly appriciated.
harsh or not.
tnx

If rehab was the first step, BSEP or "Hooked On Phonics" is step two...you will do yourself a favor in any endeavor if you learn to write correctly. How you present yourself in person or writing cannot be overstated. Best of luck to you.
Old 23 May 2011, 19:30
Administrator

Dudeman, you were discharged with a General Discharge for misconduct and the inability of the Army to rehabilitate you.

"Does my situation screw me? " Yes.

Go back to school as Virgil suggests. PSD, LEO and DoD associated businesses will not hire you.
Old 23 May 2011, 21:03
‹ber Equus Asinus

here is the deal..

you could be the best guy in the world.. a graduate of every high speed low drag course the army ever offered.. and an absolute master of every skill that PSD or FP requires..

and if I wanted to hire you..

i couldnt for almost any job i have seen announced by the US government since about 2006...

the vast majority of the work out there that supports the govt requires a clearance..

youre not going to be able to get one for a while..

the few jobs that dont require a clearance..

require a minimum of 4 years in the military..

you dont have that either..

the jobs that support the commercial sector are more heavily competed for than the jobs that support the government..

so those are out too...

go back to school dude..
Old 23 May 2011, 21:08
Administrator

He's gone. Sent me 2 PM's that shouldn't have been sent.

Our new posting rules