Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 16 March 2007, 05:42
Ungood

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMedic
Sharky,

With all due respect, I have found Prof. Forness a great instructor who forces his students to excel. He is a hard teacher and doesn't play games with his students, no whining, sugar coating, give away grades, no breaks unless you earn them. I have had good experiences with ALL the instructors at AMU.
That is not the issue CAMedic. He could be the Colliegate Professor of the Year and it wouldn't matter. The issue is that Prof. Forness' profile reads like a bad novel to the Special Operations community he claims to have been apart of. Too many questions are in the profile and it does not follow canon for what many in the community would consider legit. Sharky and others can delve more into this...
Old 16 March 2007, 21:39
On the Extract Bird

Good point. I stand corrected.
Old 16 March 2007, 22:50
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV
That is not the issue CAMedic. He could be the Colliegate Professor of the Year and it wouldn't matter. The issue is that Prof. Forness' profile reads like a bad novel to the Special Operations community he claims to have been apart of. Too many questions are in the profile and it does not follow canon for what many in the community would consider legit. Sharky and others can delve more into this...
Matt, I don't know the particular story about professor Forness. I have, however, taken a class from a dude I knew in Korea that has risen to some rank of significance in the State Department. I think that just like any other institution, some instructors can be good or wanting for relevance.
Old 17 March 2007, 16:39
Administrator

Quote:
Sharky,

With all due respect, I have found Prof. Forness a great instructor who forces his students to excel. He is a hard teacher and doesn't play games with his students, no whining, sugar coating, give away grades, no breaks unless you earn them. I have had good experiences with ALL the instructors at AMU.

I dont doubt that at all. But, his dishonesty about his credentials undermines any excellence he may achieve as a professor. I'm glad he's a good one, as he is still employed there at AMU, although his bio (and QUITE A FEW OTHERS) has been changed significantly since I began speaking to the assistant Dean via e-mail. Matter of fact, I just received an e-mail yesterday from a Mr. McCluskey who is the Provost at AMU. Nice guy. He explained that they simply did not have the means to check the validity of such claims when they are claiming to have worked in secret units and intelligence agencies such as CIA, NSA etc. I may try to work with them on remedying that in the near future. As for Dr. Forness, if he wrote that bio or had knowledge of what it said and did nothing to correct the obvious falsehoods it contained, then to me he is just another wannabe and liar, regardless of how cool he is as a professor.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 17 March 2007, 17:14
All Labs Matter

If a teacher or professor is a wannabe or charlatan...how can a student be reasonably certain that they are not being fed a good dose of BS in the classroom (virtual or not)?

Last edited by The Corporate Guy; 17 March 2007 at 18:20.
Old 17 March 2007, 17:26
Confirmed User

As my lane is primarily law enforcement (the Corps was a time ago), I figured to let others within the realm of the professor's bio answer the particulars of his claims and the discussion surrounding them. Now that that has been done, I can say tend to agree with Sharky's position.

The few things you have as a teacher of academia, or anything for that matter, is not only your ability to relate your experiences and knowledge into a solid instructing base but more importantly your credibility when teaching. I don't doubt that this professor is a good instructor but if his bio was a reflection of his claims then it undermines whatever he may be able to impart to his students as it appears to be based upon some serious inaccuracies. What or how he teaches, especially given whom his student base most likely is given the institution he teaches at, would be most definitely overshadowed by credibility issues if that's the case. IMHO.

That being said, I think the university is still good to go. They hold regional accreditation, which is tough to get (especially for an online university) and keep from the research I have done, and is an indicator that they are a serious school and not a degree mill. That coupled with what looks like a proven online format and some very interesting non traditional graduate programs make it a very good prospect.
Old 17 March 2007, 20:24
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Corporate Guy
If a teacher or professor is a wannabe or charlatan...how can a student be reasonably certain that they are not being fed a good dose of BS in the classroom (virtual or not)?
By dint of the research conducted while preparing papers.

Even though I don't condone "puffing up a resume" I will challange anyone to state that they have not done it in some way or form. Just look at the KSA questions and the advice on how to fill in the buzz words. Again, I don't agree with the misuse quoted here by a member of the staff at AMU. Apparently, they cleaned house and will be kept in line by those who want to ensure quality.

BZ.
Old 17 March 2007, 21:18
Administrator

Quote:

Even though I don't condone "puffing up a resume" I will challange anyone to state that they have not done it in some way or form.
I'll take your challenge and suspect based on observation that there's another 30 or so on this board who have not puffed up anything or have no need to puff.

I've also looked over in the neighborhood of 60 resumes of dudes from this site separate from those I refer to above who if anything, understated their experience vice puffed it while asking for help with employment.
Old 17 March 2007, 23:33
Administrator

Quote:
By dint of the research conducted while preparing papers.

Even though I don't condone "puffing up a resume" I will challange anyone to state that they have not done it in some way or form. Just look at the KSA questions and the advice on how to fill in the buzz words. Again, I don't agree with the misuse quoted here by a member of the staff at AMU. Apparently, they cleaned house and will be kept in line by those who want to ensure quality.

BZ.

I know it's done, and often. But, I dont agree with it, nor do I do it. As Doc Holliday said in Tombstone. "My hypocrisy only goes so far." :D One of the reasons it has become so commonplace is our unwillingness to do our part in verifying the accuracy of the info presented. As far as KSA's, I think that's a different ballgame. Lack of understanding of the KSA process can easily see a good resume get round filed just because of something as minor as a difference in terminologies. Taking advice on how to at least get your resume looked at by a warm body is not the same as claiming to have served in military units and performed missions that are complete and utter falsehoods. I have no problem with someone gaming the KSA's. If you dont know how you dont stand a chance to even be considered, which is a damn shame all it's own.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 20 March 2007, 16:58
Scoundrel

Just a heads up, but some very good schools are now offering "open learning" type programs. They don't confer a degree, but if you're bored or up for some self paced on-line education, you can't beat the price on these:

http://www.cmu.edu/oli/
http://ocw.mit.edu/index.html
http://ocw.nd.edu/

For the 'movement' website: http://www.ocwconsortium.org/

“It's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really.” -MixedLoad

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST

Secrets don't sleep til they're took to the grave. -BMTH
Old 28 March 2007, 22:43
Ungood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo
Just a heads up, but some very good schools are now offering "open learning" type programs. They don't confer a degree, but if you're bored or up for some self paced on-line education, you can't beat the price on these:

Damn, I wish I could attend MIT via correspondence-courses (for a degree) :D
Old 28 March 2007, 22:50
All Labs Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo

Good links...but holy shiite, I was reviewing class outlines I had taken (at other schools) and it's shocking to realize just how much of an education is FORGOTTEN over the years.

Good thing I still have pieces of paper!
Old 8 August 2007, 10:20
Confirmed User

I finished my degree last year (at 42 years old). Most of my coursework at Western New England College was in the traditional classroom setting.

Towards the end WNEC started adding on-line classes, as did most of the colleges in Massachusetts. I took 4 out of my last 6 online. 3 were fanatastic, and 1, the last one, was awful. I think it was more the instructor not knowing how to teach online.

I was a little gun shy at first about the whole online thing for most of the reasons others have stated above. But it fit me well and if I decide to go to graduate school I will certainly consider it.

As far as accreditation, you should really select a school with regional accreditation versus national. I have researched this extensivley and it appears national accreditation is veiwed as somewhat of a joke.

A lot of old timers view online coursework as someone sitting on their couch with a wireless connection watching the ball game. Well, that is true to an extent. But I also did my online classes in my station, my cruiser on the laptop, and even while at the beach. That is the beauty of it. I saved a ton of gas, and as much as 2 hours commuting time.

Generally, the workload was the same. The online chat room which most of my instructors used was great. You don't have to worry about looking like an ass when you ask stupid question (yes, there are stupid questions). I felt it really enrouraged "classroom" participation, which we all know can be a big part of the grade.

I recommend it. Just be sure your employer approves of it if it is work related.

Last edited by Macka; 8 August 2007 at 10:28.
Old 10 August 2007, 02:25
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky

What I do really like about AMU is the variety of non-traditional courses offered, such as the homeland security and terrorism studies.
Do you feel that those courses would be worth it, if someone were interested in working for an intelligence agency further on down the road?

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 13 August 2007, 12:26
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Even though I don't condone "puffing up a resume" I will challange anyone to state that they have not done it in some way or form....
Old post, but I'll take your challenge....
Old 13 August 2007, 12:58
Confirmed Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador275
Do you feel that those courses would be worth it, if someone were interested in working for an intelligence agency further on down the road?
There are many well established institutions that are now offering Homeland Security and Terrorism programs ... one I can think of off the top of my head is U of MD. They are well known for their online program and has programs for military as well. After 9/11, many education institutions started on the Homeland Security bandwagon ... if I was going to get a degree in it, I'd want it from a school with a history of accreditation, academic merit and name recognition ... my $.02
Old 13 August 2007, 14:33
Violent Social Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB
Old post, but I'll take your challenge....
Same here. My resume might not be spectacular, but it's all mine. Of course, lots of people do it. It's dishonest and speaks poorly of people. "Everybody does it" doesn't excuse it.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 13 August 2007, 14:40
Scoundrel

Could be a good online program:

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/sspp/ws/ps/tpg/wimw

“It's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really.” -MixedLoad

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST

Secrets don't sleep til they're took to the grave. -BMTH
Old 13 August 2007, 18:18
Ungood

Meh, "puffing" your resume' only goes far. Try getting past an interview when they ask you specific questions that result from said resume'.
Old 13 August 2007, 18:47
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV
Meh, "puffing" your resume' only goes far. Try getting past an interview when they ask you specific questions that result from said resume'.
I agree that resume inflating is a far too common occurrence. I further agree that far too many people have been hired for technically challenging and difficult positions, including and up to the highest levels of senior management. Those that inflate resumes probably have as even a chance of getting into the position they are applying for as anyone else -- if the company hiring only utilizes an interview process and the resume itself as due diligence....

Our new posting rules