Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 29 April 2008, 16:40
Conquer Life.

I just completed registration for the "International Relations" program of study.

I found the "Intelligence Studies" program far more interesting, but just couldn't decide on how useful it would be down the road if I decided to change career paths...and since it is not a widely recognized program (as was brought to my attention by Jimbo).

I am wondering if "International Relations" has the flexibility to get me into Government agencies such as DoS or FBI if I go that route....OR....work well with International business if I go that route. I think it should work out fine
-Anybody care to add their .02?

“Now from a distance I look back on what the Corps taught me: To think like men of action, and to act like men of thought! To live life with intensity, and a passion for excellence.” - Jim Mattis
Old 29 April 2008, 17:38
Scoundrel

International Relations will serve you well, especially if you can throw in some basic econ and finance classes. I strongly recommend an intro to International Political Economy, a basic international finance (covering exchange rates, currency markets, derivitives, etc..), some kind of survey of social and political phenomena (though avoid anything with 'gender' in the title), an introduction to international law, a class that deals with human security/how societies cope with change and an advanced geography course if they offer one. Once you have that foundation (and a couple more advanced classes in those basic subjects), go and take the classes that are really interesting.

This way you'll have a basic, solid understanding of how the international system works and you will set yourself up well for any certificate programs (Project management, EMBA, homeland security, etc...).

And I cannot stress this enough: if you are in a position to take advantage of any study abroad program, take it: summer at London School of Economics, a semester in Istanbul, rural development in Africa, etc...

“It's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really.” -MixedLoad

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST

Secrets don't sleep til they're took to the grave. -BMTH
Old 29 April 2008, 18:44
Conquer Life.

I hate politics and finance. I know it's good for me but.....damn.

Thanks Jimbo

“Now from a distance I look back on what the Corps taught me: To think like men of action, and to act like men of thought! To live life with intensity, and a passion for excellence.” - Jim Mattis
Old 29 April 2008, 18:52
Scoundrel

You have to know how it works so you can destroy it.

I mean, I love the system.

“It's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really.” -MixedLoad

Old 29 April 2008, 19:14
Conquer Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
You have to know how it works so you can destroy it.

I mean, I love the system.
Bro, NOW YOU'RE SPEAKIN' MY LANGUAGE!!!!

I'll keep that in my head while the books are open. Thanks.

Old 29 April 2008, 20:18
Confirmed User

Anyone have any experience with their Legal Studies program? I don't think it really applies directly to any field of endeavor but it seems like I would get more practical, everyday usable, knowledge out of it then say a Poli Sci or Military History degree.

x/S
Old 30 April 2008, 01:59
Verified SOF

A few years back, I worked for a company that handled Logistics for a major cell phone service provider - we shipped over a million phones a month, both to individual buyers - as well bulk customrs that bought hundreds at a time. The thing is, I would say that 90% of the managers and supervisors there were ex military - some retired, some not, some officers, some NCO's - altogether, there were at least 30 to 40 ex mililtary employed there. This company saw the military man as a strong asset and one whom they could trust. But one thing all these Managers and Supervisors had in common - they all had degrees.

The disciplane that they practiced at the high level was Logistics, at the lower level, it was just managing people at tasks - we have all done that.

TigerDad
Old 2 May 2008, 20:49
The Copenhagen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post

And I cannot stress this enough: if you are in a position to take advantage of any study abroad program, take it: summer at London School of Economics, a semester in Istanbul, rural development in Africa, etc...
Good advice Jimbo. Alot of Fed Agencies look at this as a plus, the overseas experience that is. Take advantage of this style of education, especially if its free and in a good place like say........Costa Rica, Carribean etc. Heh!, I think you know what I'm saying.

Go get your motherfuckin' shine box.
Old 10 March 2009, 10:40
Conquer Life.

Re-opening this can of worms...again

I just wanted to take a moment to drop back in to this thread and see how everyone's studies are going. I am still enjoying the classes and professors. Still unsure of a degree program...interested in Intel but looking at Business because it is more widely recognized. Middle Eastern studies are also looking promising. To be honest, I am pretty much a jundy still and do not really know what will be most beneficial in the long run...but that's life.

Like I said, I know there are several members here who are currently attending or have graduated and I would just like to see if anyone else has comments that they would like to share.

Last edited by Balls; 10 March 2009 at 10:55.
Old 10 March 2009, 11:06
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEARED HOT View Post
Take advantage of this style of education, especially if its free and in a good place like say........Costa Rica, Carribean etc. Heh!, I think you know what I'm saying.
I got 21 credits while living in Costa Rica.

It was awful.

Old 10 March 2009, 12:20
Confirmed User

Does AMU do self paced courses?

Winston Churchill
Old 10 March 2009, 12:30
Ungood

No, they are all 8 or 16 weeks.

It takes a brutal amount of discipline to stay focused. I was hammering out classes until I got the gig at DoS... be warned, you need to kick your own ass sometimes.
Old 10 March 2009, 15:09
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV View Post
No, they are all 8 or 16 weeks.

It takes a brutal amount of discipline to stay focused. I was hammering out classes until I got the gig at DoS... be warned, you need to kick your own ass sometimes.
Actually I think self paced courses would be harder because it would be really easy to procrastinate. Right now things are kind of fluid in my job and don't know where I am going to exactly be a few months from now, so I am having a hard time trying to commit to a semester type program.

Do the 8 or 16 week programs start on regular dates similar to most other college courses?

Winston Churchill
Old 10 March 2009, 15:17
Been There Done That

You can get extensions for most if not all of the courses, so that could be considered semi-self paced I suppose. Be sure to understand the consequences of getting extended, though.
"I have often thought how much happier I should have been if instead of accepting the command, under such circumstances, I had taken my musket on my shoulder, and entered the ranks ; or, had retired to the backcountry and lived in a wigwam." George Washington

Ssgt. Jacob Frazier - RIP 29MAR03 Geresk
Old 10 March 2009, 15:32
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post
Actually I think self paced courses would be harder because it would be really easy to procrastinate. Right now things are kind of fluid in my job and don't know where I am going to exactly be a few months from now, so I am having a hard time trying to commit to a semester type program.

Do the 8 or 16 week programs start on regular dates similar to most other college courses?
Yes, they start and end on regular dates.

HK
Old 10 March 2009, 16:04
Rocket Surgeon

I'm back at it, after a few months off for work-related training. Finding time and space to concentrate and work (at the same time) seems to be the perpetual challenge.
Old 10 March 2009, 17:12
Holy Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
I just completed registration for the "International Relations" program of study.

I found the "Intelligence Studies" program far more interesting, but just couldn't decide on how useful it would be down the road if I decided to change career paths...and since it is not a widely recognized program (as was brought to my attention by Jimbo).

I am wondering if "International Relations" has the flexibility to get me into Government agencies such as DoS or FBI if I go that route....OR....work well with International business if I go that route. I think it should work out fine
-Anybody care to add their .02?
I know this is an old post but... I have an IR degree from AMU and am interviewing with the FBI in a few weeks. That degree also got me a very good job with a DOE contractor. Of course I cannot discount my military background as having an effect on my competitiveness but I know the IR degree with the international security concentration helped in both cases. I was also found competitive by a certain three letter intelligence agency but I bombed my interview (first interview ever, bad company to use as a learning experience). I was also given an offer by the USSS but opted against it because even the guy I interviewed with said it was sort of a lame job. I'm not bragging, I am trying to explain my personal experience with an AMU degree and how far it can get you.

For what it is worth, and I know AMU is no great shakes, no one that I have interviewed with over the last year has cared that I got my degree online, it's never been an issue brought up during the interview process with any of the above agencies or anyone in the private sector. In my eyes, coupled with a solid military background, a degree from AMU can get your foot in the door of plenty of good employers. The “mail-order degree” paradigm is slowly shifting.

That being said, if I could have afforded to go to a regular brick and mortar school for 4 years, I would have and I would have got a BS vice a BA.
Old 10 March 2009, 20:32
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post
Does AMU do self paced courses?
LSU (www.is.lsu.edu) does self-paced courses. Nine months to start and a three month extension for (I think) $25 per class. The only problem is LSU doesn't offer any degrees on-line, so they're all transfer credits for another school. I know they have an agreement for transfer with University of New Orleans to accept all credits, but I don't know the details. My school had no problems taking LSU transfer credits; I doubt many schools would have a problem.

I took 18 credits through LSU this way. Very efficient, great customer service, and the classes were only $230 last time I checked. Highly recommended.
Old 11 March 2009, 03:33
Conquer Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpsterchair View Post
I know this is an old post but... I have an IR degree from AMU and am interviewing with the FBI in a few weeks. That degree also got me a very good job with a DOE contractor. Of course I cannot discount my military background as having an effect on my competitiveness but I know the IR degree with the international security concentration helped in both cases. I was also found competitive by a certain three letter intelligence agency but I bombed my interview (first interview ever, bad company to use as a learning experience). I was also given an offer by the USSS but opted against it because even the guy I interviewed with said it was sort of a lame job. I'm not bragging, I am trying to explain my personal experience with an AMU degree and how far it can get you.

For what it is worth, and I know AMU is no great shakes, no one that I have interviewed with over the last year has cared that I got my degree online, it's never been an issue brought up during the interview process with any of the above agencies or anyone in the private sector. In my eyes, coupled with a solid military background, a degree from AMU can get your foot in the door of plenty of good employers. The “mail-order degree” paradigm is slowly shifting.

That being said, if I could have afforded to go to a regular brick and mortar school for 4 years, I would have and I would have got a BS vice a BA.

Excellent info, thanks.

- How much did AMU itself help with lining up jobs? I know they have a section dedicated to helping graduating members.

- How big is the difference (from an employer standpoint) of a BS vice a BA?

- I have strongly considered USC or UCLA (especially considering the new coming GI Bill benefits) but am weighing the options.... AMU provides a very specific, security focused course but the other schools are much more widely recognized. your .02?

Thanks.

Old 11 March 2009, 08:06
Ungood

In my experience, just having a degree good enough. The government employers I deal with care more about real-world experience than what is stamped on your diploma.

The degree is often used as a means to get you in the door, not the determining factor on if you qualify for the job.

Take that for what it's worth.

Our new posting rules