Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Professional Development and Education

Old 10 April 2012, 09:33
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoepoe
Post....
Very. Good. Post....
Old 10 April 2012, 14:38
The atomic zit

An example of follow up...

I just sent this; it was the first thing I did when I return from the Job Fair.

Mr. {His last name},

It was good to meet you today. We met this afternoon at the {Your Company} Job Fair on the {Town Name} Campus of the {County Name} Technical Community College and you requested my resume. You should find it attached. Please follow-up and let me know if you did or did not receive my resume.

Respectfully Submitted,

asullivangarner

Maybe a little too short, not sure yet, but I will massage it from email to email.

I will not wear this dude out about follow-up, and did my best to let him know that I was interested and that he would hear from me.

I have a few more to write and I will have to track down some email addresses, most folks were not giving out cards, but will follow-up with everyone that I can find. I wrote down the name of every one that I met and will be sending a similar email before COB today.

I hope this contributes to the thread. The thread has contributed to me and my search for employment!!!

asg
Old 10 April 2012, 15:52
Lost to PTSD AUG 2014 RIP Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by asullivangarner View Post
asg
Thats interesting,..thanks for posting that. I worked in sales while going to school and wrote similar letters to clients pretty much conveying the same thing. Different managers I had would suggest different methods to gain a response and would sometimes contradict each other in doing so. At the end of the day what I really wanted was a response either way.

I offer this question just as a thinking point. I'm not overly experienced nor do I sit in a C-suit so take this for what it's worth.

Instead of saying "You should find it attached. Please follow-up and let me know if you did or did not receive my resume."
Could there be any added benefit by saying "You will find it attached. I will follow up with you on XYZ to make sure you received my resume and address any questions or concerns you may have."

It takes out the weak or passive word "should" and also triggers a little urgency knowing a follow-up is coming.

Again this is just something to think about,..I have no idea what the impact on a response would be.
Old 10 April 2012, 18:06
The atomic zit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trig View Post
...Your post...
This is good; Thank You. The last time I had to do any of this was 1993. I graduated and was fortunate enough to get a job on my second interview. Today was my first day back in a suit interviewing; I was shaking like a fool.

Early in my career, I had a few sales courses and always learned from them. Word selection and placement is important. I will incorporate your ideas into follow up emails. As an engineer, in mindset and degree, I can get stuck in the if/then world and sometimes in the, fuck you, I am smarter you will ever be...

The thing that is currently tripping me up is that most resumes are sent via electronic format; what Steve Miller says is true... I am working to fix that too.

Thank you again, I will take your advice to heart.

Sincerely,

asg
Old 10 April 2012, 18:25
Administrator

I like the " I'll follow up with you...." type verbiage. This let's them know you're going to contact them again which may spur them on let you know they recieved it.

Don't get too caught up in the nuance of the wording. It's important to put the best foot forward, but at the end of the end of the day you're at the mercy of the person you send it to. They could be busy, have a bad day or just generally never respond to anything.
Old 18 June 2012, 11:02
Teaching my cat to read..

Translating combat arms MOS into intangible skills

Has anyone come across a website or resource which helps service members, especially combat arms MOS's, outline the intangible skills they have to move into a different occupation?

I am not asking about getting into PMC's, but let's say an 11B or 0311 looking to get hired in an office job or a retail environment. Most websites will only highlight the warfighting aspects of combat arms MOS's, and not the small unit leadership, logistical or risk managment experience, etc. Even searching 18A on some websites comes up blank (ie, doesn't touch on representing the US, or administrative stuff at all).

Obviously, a comm guy can talk the talk with Sprint about networks or comm stuff in general. And I've found a lot of websites that will list resume bullet points for a mechanic, etc that would work with just a bit of tweaking. But there aren't too many infantry civilian jobs out there (other than as a PMC). I have found resources on this to be lacking.

I am looking for site that shows stuff like:
Was responsible for $800K of serialized equipment. (Assistant Team leader)
Inspected and submitted work requests to maintain a lodging facility for 250+ service members (Police Sgt.)
Coodinated transportation of Hazardous Materials for three month deployment. (Log guy)
Anything along the lines of demonstrating responsibility/ leadership/ organizational ability, aside from "locate, close with, and destroy"

This is not for me personally, but for work purposes. I am not looking for anyone to write my resume here, but a resource I can tell people about who are looking for resume help. Thanks for any input you can provide.
Old 21 August 2013, 18:18
Been There Done That

Here's another little tidbit:

Don't put "The Farm" on your resume. Especially if you never even went to it. As in, "selected for attendance to "The Farm", like that will somehow impress me when all it does is merely side-track me for about 10 minutes from my recruiting efforts while I savagely denigrate you to my comrades

Jesus fuck.
22 Aug 17
Old 21 August 2013, 23:06
Authorized Personnel

Logan - and to anyone else who is transitioning out and wanting to improve their resume. There is really no need to write how you were responsible for $250k worth of equipment or personally responsible for 3 soldiers. Really you were professionally responsible and no one really cares about the dollar amount of the equipment. Also do not sanitize your resume so much that you take your rank completely out of it. I had to write 3 emails to a guy to pull out of him what his rank was in the military. He was applying for a executive opening and referred to his military rank time as a program manager. I really thought his résumé was a little inflated but was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. It turned out to be very inflated. He would have better served himself to just accurately tell me what he had done.
Old 22 August 2013, 00:26
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoZeroSix View Post
Here's another little tidbit:

Don't put "The Farm" on your resume. Especially if you never even went to it. As in, "selected for attendance to "The Farm", like that will somehow impress me when all it does is merely side-track me for about 10 minutes from my recruiting efforts while I savagely denigrate you to my comrades

Jesus fuck.
America's best and brightests I can only hope they went to an Ivy League school...
Old 22 August 2013, 07:27
Another pool cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
America's best and brightests I can only hope they went to an Ivy League school...

The Ivies produce some naive fools.

Great work by admin on this sticky.
Old 22 August 2013, 17:07
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
I'm sad to report that it was a SEAL. With an otherwise stellar resume. But putting "The Farm" on it was enough to tank it. and seriously, with all the other shit the guy had done, throwing that he was "recommended" for it was unnecessary, and highly GAY.

And a follow up has revealed, not surprisingly, that this is a guy who had his Trident yanked for turdbaggery yet has the audacity to still try to cash in. Sad face.
22 Aug 17

Last edited by MakoZeroSix; 22 August 2013 at 17:34. Reason: Edited to add caveat
Old 24 August 2013, 10:14
Authorized Personnel

If you haven't tried proofing your resume through http://www.rezscore.com, I would highly suggest it. It uses the same algorithms as several HR focused software packages. It's also free, doesn't spam you or appear to do anything nefarious..

It provides a demand to specificity matrix that highlights skills / key words that can really help adjust the focus / theme of your resume. It also gives you a letter grade that may or may not help. In any case, I've found it to be quite good for the price. It's saved me some time tweaking things in the past.

Now I just need to get back to some place where there is a job market.

DR
Old 24 August 2013, 10:33
Confirmed User

A little off topic, But if your résumé makes it through the eyes of an automated scanner, makes it to the real eyes of a person, and you get an interview, please, please, please, wear a suit and tie.

I have see people put all sorts of the time and effort into getting into my field, only to show up for their initial background interview wearing a TapOut T-Shirt.

Last edited by Macka; 24 August 2013 at 10:40.
Old 24 August 2013, 11:05
Been There Done That

One thing I have done as well Macka, since over the last several years the initial interviews or even final interviews have been over the phone or skype. I still put on a shirt, dress slacks, and tie. Dress for the interveiw, even if on skype. And if on skype, make sure of your background. Not good if you have a "Rangers eat their dead" poster, etc. on the wall behind you.
Old 24 August 2013, 15:04
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
One thing I have done as well Macka, since over the last several years the initial interviews or even final interviews have been over the phone or skype. I still put on a shirt, dress slacks, and tie. Dress for the interveiw, even if on skype. And if on skype, make sure of your background. Not good if you have a "Rangers eat their dead" poster, etc. on the wall behind you.
And if you're applying to Wexeford, then you better wear your goddamned suit and tie while you write your resume too. Yeah I said it.
22 Aug 17
Old 24 August 2013, 16:13
Old Scroll

Guess I need to get myself a new resume-writing suit.... still unemployed after a year, even after having applied to *gasp* the local grocery
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (20.8 KB, 190 views)

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 24 August 2013, 16:17
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
A little off topic, But if your résumé makes it through the eyes of an automated scanner, makes it to the real eyes of a person, and you get an interview, please, please, please, wear a suit and tie.

I have see people put all sorts of the time and effort into getting into my field, only to show up for their initial background interview wearing a TapOut T-Shirt.
Bingo. And buy one suit that is the best you can afford. I did some hunting around and found, at a fucking Marshalls no less, two Italian hand made suits - I guess they're called "samples" in the clothing industry, but never sold in the high-end store so got passed down to the discount store. Not every Marshalls (TJMaxx, Ross, etc) gets samples or high-end clothing, but some do and it's worth shopping around.

Because both of these was originally priced at in the thousands apiece. I picked them up for $450 for one and $525 for the other at Marshalls. The difference between an off-the-rack $200 suit and one of these is night and fucking day. Yes close to $900 for two suits is a lot (but it's cheap compared to the suckers who paid full price), but if you buy a classic style how much use will you get out of them? More than your money's worth that's for sure. I've had $100 and $200 suits and I'll never buy one again. The fit is excellent, the quality is excellent from the material to the care taken to assemble it (a proper suit is assembled, not sewn together by a 5 year old in China).

Hell search Ebay for suits in your size. Spend the money for at least one dark suit. Then spend the money to get it fitted.

So anyway I flew to Montana for an interview last week and I wore one of these. I walked into an interview that had 6 lawyers at the table, the CEO, the Chief Regulatory Affairs Officer, two other people, 5 people on a video conference from South Dakota and one person on the phone.

And I was the only person wearing a suit. Hell I may have been the only person wearing a suit that morning in all of Montana.

I also got the damned job.

I'll likely never have to wear a suit there again.

Last edited by KidA; 24 August 2013 at 16:38.
Old 5 September 2013, 09:44
Been There Done That

!!.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dt130905.jpg (34.9 KB, 145 views)
Old 5 September 2013, 11:21
pumpin gas and kickin ass

If you are thinking of investing in a suit, I highly reccomend checking out this site

www.atailoredsuit.com

The owner, Antonio Centeno, is a former Marine Major. For less than a grand I got a bespoke suit and three shirts made to my sizes. I straight up told him I needed a big boy suit and that i new nothing about dressing nice and that I was going to treat it like a uniform, and was able to otherwise speak with him frankly.

The difference like Kid A says between an off the rack and something made for you is night and day, and I am not talking in how you feel about it but the way people respond to it (the quality of the suit). I had no idea the difference, but it is there, night and day.

Edit: He can also do custom tailoring if you have a concealed requirement. Just tell him what you are trying to do and let him give you options. He or his staff will walk you through color selection, style, all of it
Old 5 September 2013, 15:49
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
!!.
While the cartoon is meant to be funny, I believe some people don't realize just how true it is. I've done backgrounds on many people that looked extremely qualified on paper....until I did a little Internet searching on them.

Our new posting rules