Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Marine Corps Special Operations > MEU(SOC)

Old 6 January 2018, 14:55
Confirmed User

Reporting that many more M27's being procured for infantry

Sounds like a fair bit of investment is planned for individual Marine kit:

https://www.military.com/kitup/2018/...ne-grunts.html
Old 6 January 2018, 18:45
Been There Done That

it's cool that that they're going with full auto weapons from burst, and they'll probably adjust training to influence the focus on burst control.

from the article though it begs the question for me, if their AR postion is fielding this, are they loosing 249s or did they never have 249s in the squad. and it may just be bad editing/writing.

it'd be nice if the Army followed suite, and focused on training (and paying for) to a standard, vs. limiting full auto mechanically. and no, not every soldier needs an M-4 just because the cool guys have one. hell, my AR is a 16" because I want to be able to reach out a bit further a bit easier as my eyes degrade.

and that 2 MARDIV Gunner's got awesome vids.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 6 January 2018, 18:56
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Driver View Post
it's cool that that they're going with full auto weapons from burst, and they'll probably adjust training to influence the focus on burst control.

from the article though it begs the question for me, if their AR postion is fielding this, are they loosing 249s or did they never have 249s in the squad. and it may just be bad editing/writing.

it'd be nice if the Army followed suite, and focused on training (and paying for) to a standard, vs. limiting full auto mechanically. and no, not every soldier needs an M-4 just because the cool guys have one. hell, my AR is a 16" because I want to be able to reach out a bit further a bit easier as my eyes degrade.

The SAW is going away and replaced by the IAR. I read yesterday that the SMAW Gunner (0351 Assaultman) is going away as well to open up 500 billets for "Cyber Troops".
Old 6 January 2018, 22:01
Been There Done That

that strikes me as a step backwards, but I'm not a Marine, so...
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 6 January 2018, 22:14
Confirmed User

Not a good idea IMO
Old 6 January 2018, 22:24
Another pool cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
The SAW is going away and replaced by the IAR. I read yesterday that the SMAW Gunner (0351 Assaultman) is going away as well to open up 500 billets for "Cyber Troops".
I've heard the rumor of the 0351 being extinct as well.

Hmmm.
Old 6 January 2018, 22:39
Red Headed Stepchild

e: disregard, my walnut brain saw Mk48 instead of M27.

Last edited by hawkdrver; 6 January 2018 at 22:52. Reason: reading comprehension
Old 7 January 2018, 04:24

Interesting. Seems like just last year Gen. Neller was scrapping A4s for M4s. Now scrapping M4s for M27s.

Pretty sure a member here called it from the beginning. The Corps way of backdooring 416s. While also acquiring M4s for the infantry battalions.

My opinion of Gen. Neller has not changed. Extremely competent and capable Officer of Marines, but he’s an asshole/hardass whatever you want to call him.
Old 7 January 2018, 21:32
Make a desert and call it peace.

I've also heard that the SMAW may be ditched in favor of going to some form of the Carl Gustav, possibly the new lightweight M4 version.

It'd be smart to cascade M4's down to billets such as crew serve gunners, drivers, etc etc etc. Like the old M1/M2 carbine. What's old is new again. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what Iím about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldnít do if you still had your weapons."ó L. Neil Smith
Old 7 January 2018, 21:46
Calculating Infinity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW Driver View Post

Thanks for the heads up!.. Gunner Wade has some awesome videos.

This one really suprised me...

https://youtu.be/-GuN8uqGb8E

Our new posting rules