SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET - The Special Operations Community Network > Legacy > Medal of Honor

Old 3 December 2009, 18:19
Retired Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrifle View Post
If burning the flag disrespectfully is considered "freedom of speech," why isn't flying the flag respectfully considered the same and protected as well?
This is what it comes down to for me. There would seem to be a first amendment issue here.
"History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices." -Bill Watterson
Old 3 December 2009, 22:14
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

Is he allowed to fly the flag in some other fashion?

Flagpoles aren't the only way US flags are authorized to be displayed.

My mom just moved to a retirment village, a condo as opposed to one of the stand alone villas the also have. This is the first time in her adult life that she's lived at a place where she has to abide by their rules.

They don't seem that restrictive, but when I mentioned that when it came time to wash her screens I thought I'd just bring over a power washer and do it there, she told me that's something that probably couldn't be done. So, we'll have to bring the screens over to somebody's house to do them, or else pay the HA $5 a shot to wash them.

The hell with that. Paying to have them washed, that is.

Last edited by Spinner; 3 December 2009 at 22:18.
Old 3 December 2009, 22:31
Crisis Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longrifle View Post

If burning the flag disrespectfully is considered "freedom of speech," why isn't flying the flag respectfully considered the same and protected as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker19D30 View Post
This is what it comes down to for me. There would seem to be a first amendment issue here.
I'm sure they wouldn't let him burn one in his yard either.

I do kinda like the idea of a law protecting a persons right to display the US flag. However, I don't enjoy new laws telling us what we can or can not do on private property. Oh what the hell, he has a MOH. Let him do whatever he wants!
Old 3 December 2009, 22:36
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

I can't find it, or maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but there was a video that came out a few years ago showing two older Vets in what looks like a condo complex, competing with each other to see who can raise the flag first every morning.

I thought Charles Durning played one of them, can't be sure.
Old 4 December 2009, 00:13

Quote:
The first amendment states that the govt shall pass no law prohibiting or infringing upon free speech. This is not what is happening here, and is therefore not a first amendment issue.

This gentleman entered into a legally binding civil contract when he purchsed his home and signed on the dotted line with the HOA. It was a choice that he made. If the contract said "no flag poles," then he doesn't have a legal leg to stand on. It's that simple.

I don't like HOAs, which is why I didn't buy a home in a neighborhood that had one.

Last edited by mdb23; 4 December 2009 at 00:19.
Old 6 December 2009, 14:35

Quote:
There's not a First Amendment issue here. First, nobody is telling he can't do anything that he didn't agree to when he purchased the house. Second, the First Amendment prohibits state action which restricts freedom of speech, it has no bearing on what a homeowners' association which a person voluntarily joined can require of its members.

Our new posting rules