Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Domestic Jobs

Old 19 October 2017, 10:05
Confirmed User

Many, many guys work with HR218, and whoever you spoke to at the AG office is full of shit. HR218 clearly preempts every states laws, end story. No LEO is ever going to question you or your use of the permit, and I know many, many guys who have put that to the test.

Locally issued CCW pernits generally aren't for work purposes, a few even specify on the card as much. But again, if you have a CA guard card and exposed permit, and are legally carrying concealed with a ccw permit, no one will say a word. Even BSIS, our shitty Bureau, and insurance companies, accept the above.
Old 19 October 2017, 10:36
Chuck Norris Approved

My thoughts but I didn't want to create a situation for either myself or my client.
Old 19 October 2017, 17:07
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymrat8541 View Post
My thoughts but I didn't want to create a situation for either myself or my client.
Your concern is valid and something many former/current cops get very confused about. HR218 allows you to carry, it does not, however, make you a licensed guard...and that's where things get very uncomfortable and expensive should something happen.

You MUST be licensed in CA, through the BSIS, for the appropriate work you will perform.

For example, if you're working armed security at a Bank, you need to go through both unarmed and armed guard card training, then receive the approval from BSIS, before you can ever don your nice uniform.

Now if you're off-duty, and NOT WORKING (don't get me started on details and companies who think they can have guys "just hanging out"), carry all you want if you have HR218.

Make sense?

Also, licensing requirements can vary drastically between states. I'm currently licensed to work in three states, all with completely different requirements.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 19 October 2017, 18:13
Confirmed User

You are not a E.P. agent, you are a personal assistant, who happens to be a retired cop with HR 218. No license needed.
Old 19 October 2017, 19:32
Been There Done That

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batdog View Post
You are not a E.P. agent, you are a personal assistant, who happens to be a retired cop with HR 218. No license needed.
That's piss-poor advice and the exact kind of shit that will get people into seriously hot water.

In skirting a very fine (and easy to meet) line, because you're too lazy to sit through some very basic classes, you're exposing both yourself and your client to a ton of financial risk.

Old 21 October 2017, 16:48
Chuck Norris Approved

Quote:
Not retired, active status and I disagree with being a personal assistant. Maybe with some details that is the case.
Old 22 October 2017, 19:06
Confirmed User

Quote:
Until something happens and force is used. If you're a PA, then you would need a contract to back that up. If you have a contract as a PA, you're uninsured for security work. It's a poor reflection on professional protection services and just another indicator of many folks who still subscribe to "the gun maketh the protector" myth. It's also reckless and in addition to the retired cop putting him/herself at risk, he/she is endangering the Principal and neglecting duty of care toward them.
Old 22 October 2017, 19:07
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
That's piss-poor advice and the exact kind of shit that will get people into seriously hot water.

In skirting a very fine (and easy to meet) line, because you're too lazy to sit through some very basic classes, you're exposing both yourself and your client to a ton of financial risk.
Bingo.
Old 23 October 2017, 18:38
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoepoe View Post
Bingo.
Bingo.
Old 23 October 2017, 19:13
Administrator

Quote:
Good way to end up in jail or get sued for all your and your clients assets.
Old 23 October 2017, 21:10
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pig View Post
When I drove Armored Cars, getting a Guard Card and a gun card was a 1 day course. Thats been a while ago. I think the gun card was a second day, but was over by lunch time after a qual at a local range. Thats been a few years ago though.
In SC it's an 8 hour course full of good sense and for armed afaik the second day is qualifing with whatever weapon that you use. So I wouldn't imaging it being that much of a difference there. If it's easy here then I'm sure it is there.
Old 23 October 2017, 22:05

In Maryland a private detective license gives you the ability to do Ep work. And Leosa allows you to carry concealed.
Old 23 October 2017, 22:31
What could possibly go wrong?

It's not even a debate....to work LEGALLY in California, you have to go through the state license requirements, even if you are a retired cop with your 218 card. That's the state law.....can you work weasel deal bullshit? Of course...until it all goes sideways.
Old 23 October 2017, 23:28

So your saying you just need the California guard card?
And leosa can be your carry permit?
Old 24 October 2017, 14:12
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo4030 View Post
So your saying you just need the California guard card?
And leosa can be your carry permit?
Google is your friend.

http://www.bsis.ca.gov/consumers/faqs/po_faq.shtml

Old 25 October 2017, 13:16
Confirmed User

If you're carrying on the job in CA, you MUST maintain a CA Exposed Carry Permit.
Old 9 January 2018, 11:29
Confirmed User

Seems like we finally picked one up here, very cool.

We need guys for a static post-type position, not a residence, ccw not required. Guard card and exposed permit only.

Our new posting rules