SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > History

Old 25 April 2013, 16:37
I am into Champagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
at a previously unheard of place known as Gallipoli.

Respectfully,
beyond all mountains steep,
above all shadows rides the Sun
and Stars for ever dwell:
I will not say the Day is done,
nor bid the Stars farewell.
Old 1 May 2013, 00:05
On the Extract Bird

Here's an impressive slideshow For the Vietnam vets (and history buffs) amongst us.....38 years ago

http://freenorthcarolina.blogspot.co...-powerful.html
Old 22 December 2014, 11:01
Preparing to defend

Interesting times around here 150 years ago today. I sometimes feel as though there are ghost around here, as a Union encampment HQ was located only 500 meters from my house.

This short telegram, from William Tecumseh Sherman to Abraham Lincoln, is dated December 22, 1864. I beg to present you as a Christmas gift the city of Savannah with 150 heavy guns and plenty of ammunition and also about 25,000 bales of cotton, Sherman wrote. The brief message came as a huge relief to Lincoln, who had been out of touch with Sherman for several weeks, since the major general had embarked from Atlanta on his March to the Sea.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_vault/2012/12/20/william_tecumseh_sherman_s_gift_for_abraham_lincol n_1864_telegram_presenting.html
Old 24 January 2015, 23:48
Confirmed User

January 24th, 1781: Light Horse & Swamp Fox raid Georgetown, SC

Heres an interesting note in our Revolutionary War:

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...south-carolina

Quote:
On this day in 1781, Patriot commanders Lieutenant Colonel Light Horse Henry Lee and Brigadier General Francis Swamp Fox Marion of the South Carolina militia combine forces and conduct a raid on Georgetown, South Carolina, which is defended by 200 British soldiers.

Marion won fame and the Swamp Fox moniker for his ability to strike and then quickly retreat into the South Carolina swamps without a trace. His military strategy is considered an 18th-century example of guerilla warfare and served as partial inspiration for the film The Patriot, starring Mel Gibson.

Marion took over the South Carolina militia force first assembled by Thomas Sumter in 1780. Sumter, the other inspiration for Mel Gibson's character in the film, returned Carolina Loyalists' terror tactics in kind after Loyalists burned his plantation. When Sumter withdrew from active fighting to care for a wound, Marion replaced him and strategized with Major General Nathaniel Greene, who had recently arrived in the Carolinas to lead the Continental forces. On January 24, the Patriots under Marion and Lee managed to arrive at Georgetown undetected and captured at least three officers, including the British commander.

The following month, Lee's cavalry was able to defeat a band of Loyalist cavalry at Haw River, North Carolina, by taking advantage of the extreme similarity of Patriot uniforms to those of British Lieutenant Colonel Banastre Tarleton's troops. British Colonel John Pyle's men at Haw River were surprised to discover that the horsemen approaching them were not friends, as they appeared from a distance, but foes. Losing three fingers and blinding one eye in the course of combat, Colonel Pyle, a doctor by profession, survived by hiding in what is now known as Pyle's Pond.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swampfoxlighthorse_grande.jpg (91.1 KB, 226 views)
Old 8 March 2015, 15:35
Been There Done That

Fifty years ago today, March 8, 1965, the 9th Marine Expeditionary Brigade landed at Da Nang, Republic of Vietnam. The Marines were the first U.S. ground combat troops to be committed to the conflict.

The 3,500 men arrived both across the beach with Battalion Landing Team 3/9, and at Da Nang Airfield with Battalion Landing Team 1/3.

S/F Marines.

Photo and description is from the National Museum of the Marine Corps FB page.
Attached Images
File Type: png Da Nang.png (148.9 KB, 207 views)

Last edited by WGH0922; 8 March 2015 at 15:38. Reason: Give credit for photo and narrative.
Old 22 March 2018, 16:44
Old Scroll

Today in History: 22 March 1765, the ill-fated Stamp Act was imposed on the American colonies.

The Stamp Act was an act of the British Parliament in 1765 that exacted revenue from the American colonies by imposing a stamp duty on newspapers and legal and commercial documents. Colonial opposition led to the act's repeal in 1766 and helped encourage the nascent American Revolutionary movement against the Crown.

Also on 22 March in 1983, the Pentagon awards a production contract worth more than $1 billion to AM General Corporation to develop 55,000 High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicles (HMMWV). Nicknamed the Humvee and designed to transport troops and cargo, the wide, rugged vehicles entered the spotlight when they were used by the American military during the 1989 invasion of Panama and the Persian Gulf War in the early 1990s.

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 23 March 2018, 23:10
0311/8651

I was in CAP Platoon 2-7-6-1971
Old 24 April 2018, 13:23

ANZAC Day, 25 April 2018

https://www.awm.gov.au/commemoration/anzac-day/traditions

This is a sacred day for our Australian and New Zealand brothers in arms.

For those of you in Vancouver BC, there will be a service at the Cenotaph at Hastings and Cambie on 25 April at 1800PT. The defence attaches from several Commonwealth countries will be present and, I believe a guard of honour will be found from one of the local Army Reserve units.If possible I will be parading, although I may be stuck doing overwatch.

Pints, the Loyal Toast, and remembrances of lost brothers and sisters to follow at Moose's Down Under, 830 West Pender.
Old 25 April 2018, 23:06
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
Fifty years ago today, March 8, 1965, the 9th Marine Expeditionary Brigade landed at Da Nang, Republic of Vietnam. The Marines were the first U.S. ground combat troops to be committed to the conflict.

The 3,500 men arrived both across the beach with Battalion Landing Team 3/9, and at Da Nang Airfield with Battalion Landing Team 1/3.
My dad was one of those Marines. He had just finished a tour as an advisor to the South Vietnamese Marines and was rotating home, but only got as far as the Philippines where he met his own unit going back to where he had just come from. As a result he wound up doing nearly two continuous years in Vietnam. They told him he wouldn't have to go back again, but they sent him back in 1968-69 anyway.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 26 April 2018, 10:00
0311/8651

I will probably see one of those Marines today at the gun range.
Old 26 April 2018, 14:14
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
My dad was one of those Marines. He had just finished a tour as an advisor to the South Vietnamese Marines and was rotating home, but only got as far as the Philippines where he met his own unit going back to where he had just come from. As a result he wound up doing nearly two continuous years in Vietnam. They told him he wouldn't have to go back again, but they sent him back in 1968-69 anyway.
My father retired from the Marines in 1975, after 21 years. He did 3 tours in VN (none back-to-back....that's sick), all intel. He was there when those Marines came ashore (MACV, also MACV/SOG), later in the 60s with 12th Marines arty, and 70-71 as intel chief for HMLA-167.

Our new posting rules