Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 11 June 2018, 09:57
BTDT

OnStar Castration

Already have most of the deets from YouTube/Web, but just seeing if anyone on here has castrated OnStar from a late Model Silverado/Sierra (Or any other GM product that locates it in the radio stack behind the dash display)?
Old 11 June 2018, 09:58
Administrator

I could have told you that this was you making this post before I even saw who did it.

Johnny OPSEC....post!

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 11 June 2018, 10:21
BTDT

Hahahaha! I'd be a real hypocrite if I left that shit intact, no?
Old 11 June 2018, 19:09
Old Scroll

He really is watching

"To the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee, for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee"
Melville / Captain Ahab
Old 13 June 2018, 06:18
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post

He really is watching
Yup. How do you violate the BoR, without violating the BoR? Have private industry do it, and grant immunity/turn a blind eye.
Old 13 June 2018, 20:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Already have most of the deets from YouTube/Web, but just seeing if anyone on here has castrated OnStar from a late Model Silverado/Sierra (Or any other GM product that locates it in the radio stack behind the dash display)?
Just get to the coax cable feeding the antenna--
where ever it's easy to get to-- and *snip*.
Old 15 June 2018, 08:15
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve788 View Post
Just get to the coax cable feeding the antenna--
where ever it's easy to get to-- and *snip*.
No need to snip - the antenna connector can just be disconnected. But the Baseband (Cell Radio) would still be powered (so you *can* just disconnect the other two cable connectors going to the box). But there are two boards inside, connected by a bridge - the Baseband is on the daughter board, so you just remove the bridge connector. This leaves everything else working (XM Radio, various diagnostics, etc...). You can actually find the Pin-Out specs for the cell radio and just cut ONE power pin to be really clean - but I'll need to get inside first. I just wanted some feedback on if anyone else has done it, and any long term gremlins they may have found.
Old 15 June 2018, 10:09
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
This leaves everything else working (XM Radio, various diagnostics, etc...). snip...
Poly just be aware that there may be issues with your insurance carrier, depending on what gets disabled by your "castration"...

Insurance carriers (like USAA, GEICO, Progressive, State Farm - that I know of for sure) have buried in the underwriting language some interesting shit...

They base some of the premium on cars equipped with black boxes on the fact that those boxes not be disable by the owner. If you inadvertently disable a logging function of the boxes, even one leg, they can deny a claim.

That claim denial can include liability coverage - and that's gonna leave a mark if you are found at fault in an accident and there are injuries to the other party...

My solution is to only own older cars and trucks. I can have them as nice as anything on the road today at less costs than a new car - and there are no computers on board at all
Old 15 June 2018, 10:25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
Poly just be aware that there may be issues with your insurance carrier, depending on what gets disabled by your "castration"...

Insurance carriers (like USAA, GEICO, Progressive, State Farm - that I know of for sure) have buried in the underwriting language some interesting shit...

They base some of the premium on cars equipped with black boxes on the fact that those boxes not be disable by the owner. If you inadvertently disable a logging function of the boxes, even one leg, they can deny a claim.

That claim denial can include liability coverage - and that's gonna leave a mark if you are found at fault in an accident and there are injuries to the other party...
Yeah....no.

You're confusing underwriting with claims adjudication.

It is very true that insurance companies are using all information they can get their hands on...some of them even but little stock drives in your car for you to voluntarily provide them with your driving habits and data. They can thus price the product on that information, such as offering a discount for safe driving habits (no sudden stops, no speeding).

Actually adjudicating the claim, well...they have to follow the policy form, which is aggressively controlled by the state regulatory agencies.

The only way you could get burned here is if you had a warranted application with the carrier, which is never used for auto liability insurance (because it is so heavily regulated).

So, they might charge or credit you based on the information they can glean from your info, but they are not going to deny a cliam because of the disabling of information-collecting equipment. They'll just charge you more at renewal.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 15 June 2018, 11:24
Been There Done That

Learn something every day :)
Old 16 June 2018, 05:14
BTDT

Two good posts. The Accident Data Logger I'm fine with - the fine print explains what it does; last 10 seconds or so, ONLY under unusual conditions like brake pressure, accel/decel speed, etc.. It doesn't have a radio either - of course, they could be lying, but I'd think we'd know by now. The OnStar is another matter. They state that they still *could/might* log "anonymous user data" even if you don't pay for the service - F that. 50 years without being sued - I'll take the risk, even if DH is wrong (but that's his gig, so...)

Our new posting rules