SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > 75th Ranger Regiment

Old 20 May 2018, 17:17
Been There Done That

RIP LTC(ret) James K. Waters

Ranger Jim Waters passed on 1-14-18 after a brief illness. During his career Jim served two tours in VN, one of which was as an advisor to the 42d ARVN BDQ battalion 1969-1970. After that tour he successfully completed Ranger School Class 13-71. I will not detail his long career here, it can be found by searching his name.
After retirement from active duty Jim was active on ar.com, serving as a mentor to numerous aspiring Ranger candidates. He was also active with the BDQ association where he was instrumental in having the BDQ memorial stone placed in Arlingto,

Jim will be interred at Arlington on June 18th at 1100. I plan to arrive in Wash. DC at noon June 17 and will depart 1000 June 19.

I am posting here in order to notify as many as possible so that there can be a link-up of those planning to be there. I can meet anytime before or after the ceremony.

"For the mission, then. As long as he functions, I will humor him."
"If you don't humor him, you may find out how well he functions."
Old 21 May 2018, 06:11
Calculating Infinity...

RIP
Old 21 May 2018, 06:45
Been There Done That

Lest we forget...........
Old 21 May 2018, 06:50
Been There Done That

Lest we forget........

WATERS James Kirk Waters, Jr. LTC US Army (Retired) Died on January 14, 2018. James K. Waters, Jr. was born on April 25, 1944 in Lewistown, PA to the late James Kirk Waters and Ruth Cramer Waters. He grew up in McAlisterville, PA and graduated from East Juniata High School in Cocolamus, PA. He attended Bloomsbury University and Penn State. Jim worked at Leo Graybill Hatchery and always referred to his employer as "Uncle Leo". Jim Waters wanted to serve his country and enlisted in the Army in Harrisburg, PA, in 1965. During his enlisted service as an Infantryman, November 1965 to February 1971, he attained the rank of Staff Sargent (SSG) and served two combat tours in Vietnam. Jim went to Officers Candidate School at Ft. Benning, GA, and in February 1971 was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Infantry Branch. During his 29-year career in the Army, in addition to his two tours in Vietnam, Jim served in Germany, Panama, and Saudi Arabia. Jim's military education included Jungle Warfare School; Ranger School; Airborne School; Infantry Officers Advanced Course; Command and General Staff College; and the Army War College. He also received a Bachelor of Arts from Methodist University and received a Master of Arts for Georgetown University. Jim Waters' significant awards during his service consisted of the Legion of Merit; three Bronze Stars; two Purple Hearts for wounds received in combat. Three Meritorious Service Medals; Air Medal; Joint Service Commendation Medal;three Army Commendation medals; and the Republic of Vietnam Honor Medal 2nd Class. He also earned the Army Ranger Tab; Parachutist Badge; Combat Infantry Badge; Republic of Vietnam Ranger Tab; and the Army Staff Identification Badge. Lieutenant Colonel James K. Waters retired from his last assignment, which was in support of the Saudi Arabian National Guard, Saudi Arabia, and was separated on June 30, 1994 at Ft. Myer, VA. After his retirement from active duty, Jim worked as a defense contractor, culminating his working career as an instructor at the Army Force Management school at Ft. Belvoir, VA. He continued to serve in retirement as a docent George Washington's home, Mt. Vernon. Jim was active in many associations to include the Association of the United States Army; Military Officers Association of America; and the Military Order of the Carabao. Most important to Jim was his activities with the 75th Ranger Regiment Association. Jim is survived by his brother, Curtis W. Waters, of Mifflintown, PA, two nieces and a nephew. Services and interment will be at Arlington National Cemetery with full military honors at a date to be determined An announcement will be published prior to the service. Contributions in memory of Mr. James Waters may be made to the Three Rangers Foundation, P.O. Box 713, Sheridan, Oregon 97378Contributions in memory of Mr. James Waters may be made to the Three Rangers Foundation, P.O. Box 713, Sheridan, Oregon 97378
Published in The Washington Post on Jan. 21, 2018
Old 21 May 2018, 08:47
Administrator

RIP Ranger. Your service won't be forgotten.
Old 21 May 2018, 10:12
Been There Done That

Damn..

Spent quite a bit of time on the phone and via email with Jim over the years. He was a fine Ranger and just a great American. He'll be missed.

Both he and Lefty brought tons of history and wisdom to the site formerly known as AR.com

RIP Sir, RLTW!
Old 21 May 2018, 16:39
Been There Done That

Both he and Lefty brought tons of history and wisdom to the site formerly known as AR.com

RIP Sir, RLTW!

x1000

Always seemed very sure footed in his posts, he will be missed.
Old 21 May 2018, 16:58
Authorized Personnel

Rest easy Ranger.
Old 21 May 2018, 16:59
Authorized Personnel

Rest In Peace, Ranger and thank you for your service!
Old 21 May 2018, 17:44
RIP Cass and SOTB

RIP Ranger. Thank you for your service and sacrifices.

Last edited by UGA_11B; 21 May 2018 at 17:44. Reason: Spelling and grammar
Old 21 May 2018, 17:45
Been There Done That

Met him once at Belvoir and grabbed lunch together. He was quite active on ArmyRanger.com back in the day and a strong influence on the success of the mentoring program there.

Jim was a real gentleman and a truly humble warrior. He is missed.

May you rest in peace, Sir.

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 21 May 2018, 22:06
Another pool cleaner

RIP Ranger Waters!
Old 22 May 2018, 06:59
Been There Done That

Jim was rock solid good people. I was honored to attend a Thanksgiving Veteran fund raiser with him a few years ago. He was an exceptional human being...in all aspects of life.
Old 22 May 2018, 10:56
Authorized Personnel

R.I.P. Ranger....
Old 23 May 2018, 15:36
Sound off for equipment check!

Served with him in 2/508. Solid officer, highly competent leader, and a damn fine man. RIP, old friend. See you on the High Ground...RLTW!
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. ~Patrick Henry

"Sēlre bi ghwm t hē his frēond wrece, onne hē fela murne." ~Bēowulf, bearn Ecgēowes
Old 23 May 2018, 18:52
Been There Done That

What an incredible resume. Rest in peace, Ranger Waters.
Old 8 June 2018, 21:02
Been There Done That

For those who will be in DC for Jim's service, there will be a link-up and cookout at my brother's home in Georgetown Sunday afternoon/evening. Today my brother graciously offered to host the cookout for all who will be in town, to include spouses and children.

I will need a head count ASAP. Nothing solid yet, but there may be transportation for those who need it.

PM me for details.

"For the mission, then. As long as he functions, I will humor him."
"If you don't humor him, you may find out how well he functions."
Old 14 June 2018, 07:06
Been There Done That

RIP Sir!

John Wayne as J.B. Books in the Shootist
Old 14 June 2018, 08:52
Been There Done That

Rest In Peace Ranger - Warrior.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 14 June 2018, 09:29
Bitter old man.

RIP

Our new posting rules