SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > History

Old 8 February 2018, 18:35
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
The Minute Men: The First Fight: Myths and Realities of the American Revolution by John Galvin
+1 on Galvin's book. Essential to understanding the people who actually fought. Destroys some long-heard, oft-repeated myths and errors.
Old 8 February 2018, 18:38
Confirmed User

Very surprised not to see David Hackett Fischer's Washington's Crossing nor his Paul Revere's Ride both excellent books you will enjoy reading.
Old 8 February 2018, 18:41
Confirmed User

An ancestor responded to the call-out of 19 April 1775. Because he was from Worchester his company didn't arrive till the shooting was over and the Regulars were back in Boston. He did serve in the siege of Boston and Bunker (Breeds) Hill. A cousin wrote a little book about him because after the war he was one of the leaders of Shay's Rebellion and very nearly hanged for it.
Old 9 February 2018, 10:44
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBRGuy View Post
An ancestor responded to the call-out of 19 April 1775. Because he was from Worchester his company didn't arrive till the shooting was over and the Regulars were back in Boston. He did serve in the siege of Boston and Bunker (Breeds) Hill. A cousin wrote a little book about him because after the war he was one of the leaders of Shay's Rebellion and very nearly hanged for it.
That's Worcester with no "h"(phonetic: Wuss-tah). I've been working on my family tree. I knew that my family was well represented on Lexington Green, but I have found many other links back to the Minute Men through the families of women that married into my main family line. The system of the Minute Men raised something like a tidal wave of troops. Had the Redcoats not marched back to Boston, reinforcements or not, they would have been wiped out.
Old 9 February 2018, 13:34
Confirmed User

The Revolutionary War in the Hackensack Valley by Adrian Leiby

Covers the "civil war" that raged between Jersey Dutch patriot and Tory troops along the Hackensack corridor of northeastern New Jersey and Rockland County, New York - as well as the larger war/maneuver that was being conducted between the Britain and American armies to the East and West.
Old 10 February 2018, 04:41
Confirmed User

As fate would have it, when you fought for your independence Poland did too, even with the same people involved here and here (Pułaski, Kościuszko). Also, Polish Constitution from 1791 was created while being influenced by ideas and virtues of the Constitution written by our U.S. friends.
Old 12 February 2018, 18:52
Confirmed User

Forgot to add two other books I read which IMO merit mentioning here:

Black Patriots and Loyalists: Fighting for Emancipation in the War for Independence by Alan Gilbert. An interesting take on the Revolution with emphasis on the black Americans on both sides of the fence.

And for someone who likes medicine (or is a medicine person by profession), the Pox Americana: The Great Smallpox Epidemic of 1775-82by Elizabeth Fenn is a great read. I enjoyed both books, mainly because they present an interesting take on the topic of the American Revolution. Both are IMO well researched.

Our new posting rules