SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 6 April 2014, 19:18
0311/8651

If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge anything.oh forgot dodge ball is too dangerous!
Old 6 April 2014, 22:08
Above Tree Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Hummmm by a $10 DVD and do yoga alone at home, or pay a few dollars extra and see hot chicks in yoga pants... Know how I know you're gay?
I have to be honest here...I did that myself thinking I would save some money on a membership. But to be honest (besides the looking at chicks part of it) you're going to get a better result and be pushed to perform when you're in a class room setting.

I mean common, lets be real here....I can't count how many times I paused that DVD to check FB or do something else online or half assed the pose because no one is there to judge ha!

Go to a Yoga Class you will kill two birds with one stone..fine ass women and legit performance on your part.
"The person who says practice makes perfect doesn't know what he is talking about...Perfect is an illusion created by people who always wants to be disappointed in themselves. Rather....Practice makes Better!"
Old 6 April 2014, 23:10
Been There Done That

Yoga? It's not a workout by any stretch of the imagination. I really hope that you guys are being sarcastic.
Old 7 April 2014, 06:56
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark0311 View Post
Yoga? It's not a workout by any stretch of the imagination. I really hope that you guys are being sarcastic.
No, we are not. You are just short sided...

I know people who do yoga who can support themselves in positions it would take me years to accomplish. Balance and core strength, yeah those aren't good for anything....
Old 7 April 2014, 07:45
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
No, we are not. You are just short sided...

I know people who do yoga who can support themselves in positions it would take me years to accomplish. Balance and core strength, yeah those aren't good for anything....
At best it's a warm up. As for building strength, core or otherwise I don't think so.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1172810/The-yoga-supergran-bend-backwards-age-83.html

Impressive but hardly a demonstration of strength, speed or cardiovascular conditioning.

For a 13 year old I would recommend wrestling.
Old 7 April 2014, 07:58
Administrator

I wouldn't recommend yoga for a kid either.
Old 7 April 2014, 08:15
Russian Tycoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark0311 View Post

Let me know when you are in DC next time and have 90 minutes to spare - we will work on your perception of yoga.
Old 7 April 2014, 08:24
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlwithaGlock View Post

Let me know when you are in DC next time and have 90 minutes to spare - we will work on your perception of yoga.
Tried it. Someone at work thought the same way and wanted to prove something. All it proved was that you will sweat in a 104 degree room. It was relaxing though.
Old 7 April 2014, 08:26
Russian Tycoon

It sounds like you tried Bikram. You would probably feel more challenged by Vinyasa. No relaxation in that practice.

(No matter how much I would like to convert everyone, I do realize that to each his own).
Old 7 April 2014, 12:29
Holy Diver

There is some excellent input here, I appreciate everyone’s perspective. My major take-aways are sprints, flexibility and balance with an added emphasis on some HIIT. Being strong comes naturally to him, that will be the relatively easy/ fun part. The ones I just mentioned are a real challenge for him but critical to his development as an athlete. He is heavy footed and tight muscled.

I am definitely struggling to find the right balance. His aim is to be 270-280 lbs his senior year (~ 15-20 lbs/ year) so we are not trying to build the next cross fit champion but I also do not want him to wind up as an injury prone and slow footed hulk either.

On a side note, I highly recommend hitting the gym/ trails/ track/ etc. with your kids when the time is right. It has really brought us closer together as father and son at a time when most kids are distancing themselves from their parents. There is really nothing like suffering alongside someone else to really build tight bonds. The last 4 months have been really cool.
Old 7 April 2014, 21:22
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlwithaGlock View Post

You worked on my perception for sure! I always thought I was doing yoga until I attended your practice and then I realized that this was real yoga. It is easy to just do it, but much harder to do it correctly. It was one of the most challenging workouts I have experienced and took serious skill to hold and flow in those poses.
Old 8 April 2014, 08:47
Russian Tycoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
I wouldn't recommend yoga for a kid either.
I think that the earlier one starts practicing yoga, the better. A teenager can benefit from learning early how to control his/her breath and developing balance and flexibility (=less injuries during other kinds of training). Not to mention that yoga is a good discipline builder.

Teenagers usually take less time to master arm balances than adults, so they can feel challenged and have fun with "cool" yoga poses (headstand, tripod, handstand, scorpion, side crow, etc.)

There are several mother/daughter and father/son pairs who regularly practice with me. Both parents and their teens always have a blast.
Old 8 April 2014, 08:50
Administrator

IMO kids learn balance and other attributes, running, jumping, climbing, etc... Time spent in a yoga studio is less time spent outdoors doing those things.
Old 8 April 2014, 09:15
Lost to PTSD AUG 2014 RIP Brother

For the sport I played i did a lot of fast paced "station" work, alternating days with free weight lifting and swimming in the off season ( i just listened to what my coach told me to do.) If i had the energy, or knew about vinyasa flow, and could get a ride, I might have added that in.
Old 8 April 2014, 22:04
Policeman Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
I have to be honest here...I did that myself thinking I would save some money on a membership. But to be honest (besides the looking at chicks part of it) you're going to get a better result and be pushed to perform when you're in a class room setting.

I mean common, lets be real here....I can't count how many times I paused that DVD to check FB or do something else online or half assed the pose because no one is there to judge ha!

Go to a Yoga Class you will kill two birds with one stone..fine ass women and legit performance on your part.
Not looking like a pussy in front of a bunch of girls is a powerful motivator.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 8 April 2014, 22:44
Above Tree Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Not looking like a pussy in front of a bunch of girls is a powerful motivator.
Touche! But it can also be a good invite as well. Hear me out...

The Buildup - Me talking out loud after class but close enough to where a fellow yogi/lady hears me: "Damn I will never get that pigeon pose down to full extension... sigh..."

Her: "Awe.. no worries you will get there I wish half the guys I know would confess they are not the master of everything its refreshing to hear a male say he needs help its very refreshing... and well...an attractive quality! Here... let me show you a better way to reach full extension for better hip opening on the pigeon pose."

Me: "Thanks!"

I speak from experience! The women that go there typically (not all, as I'm not trying to stereotype anyone) have a very low tolerance with high testosterone males beating their chest. They (the women who attend these courses) for the most part are your typical green tea hipsters/organic spiritual women/single moms at least thats how it is here in Boulder. Geesh... this city is crawling with these types of Care Bears (My nickname for the Boulder Women in town) its almost annoying! .

But if you adapt and overcome to your surroundings, you will learn that you will get far by swallowing some pride and using it as a tool rather than a detriment.

They LOVE to help and I LOVE getting help :)
"The person who says practice makes perfect doesn't know what he is talking about...Perfect is an illusion created by people who always wants to be disappointed in themselves. Rather....Practice makes Better!"

Last edited by Danno; 8 April 2014 at 23:03.
Old 2 March 2015, 17:43
Holy Diver

Just a quick update almost a year later. First I want to thank all of you for the excellent guidance, much of the advice above has been almost prophetic after talking to some professional youth athletic trainers last summer.

His football season was a great success after spending the off season focusing on HIIT with some sprints and lighter weights thrown in. I realized he was too young to be lifting how we were plus he needed more time to grow into his body and get more flexibility/ balance/ stability.

He is now just shy of 6’3” and about 248 lbs as an 8th grader. He is not obese by any stretch. He is deadlifting over 350 lbs (trap bar for now) and benching 190 (not amazing but solid). Squats are not coming along as fast as he would like, he is struggling with a lot of discomfort in his knees and back when we rep “heavy” (> 185) so we are keeping the weight light (< 155 x 6). His form is fine, I think he just is going to have to stretch and work his stabilizing muscles more. I am considering incorporating light weight overhead squats.

One of the major lessons learned from this last year is that so much of an athlete’s performance is dictated by hip flexor strength/ flexibility. That was new to me and is now a big focus of our training sessions.

ETA: Any recommendations for a solid brand of pull up assist/ resistance bands? He wants to do pull ups but those are a long way off with his build.
Old 8 April 2015, 10:21

I am the Strength & Conditioning Manager with the Bulls / Sox Training Academy and I generally see athletes from 7-18 yrs. old. I've had years of experience with youth - professional athletes and coached Division 1 as well. That's my 411. If I can be of any help to anyone on here, please send me a message. I love this stuff.
Old 29 April 2015, 15:35
Holy Diver

His hard work in the gym has paid off. He was contacted today by a D3 head coach and invited for a campus visit today. I did not know they started recruiting in 8th grade. He's pretty excited but he has his eye on the prize for sure (Pac-12).
Old 29 April 2015, 16:08
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC View Post
Just a quick update almost a year later. First I want to thank all of you for the excellent guidance, much of the advice above has been almost prophetic after talking to some professional youth athletic trainers last summer.

His football season was a great success after spending the off season focusing on HIIT with some sprints and lighter weights thrown in. I realized he was too young to be lifting how we were plus he needed more time to grow into his body and get more flexibility/ balance/ stability.

He is now just shy of 6’3” and about 248 lbs as an 8th grader. He is not obese by any stretch. He is deadlifting over 350 lbs (trap bar for now) and benching 190 (not amazing but solid). Squats are not coming along as fast as he would like, he is struggling with a lot of discomfort in his knees and back when we rep “heavy” (> 185) so we are keeping the weight light (< 155 x 6). His form is fine, I think he just is going to have to stretch and work his stabilizing muscles more. I am considering incorporating light weight overhead squats.

One of the major lessons learned from this last year is that so much of an athlete’s performance is dictated by hip flexor strength/ flexibility. That was new to me and is now a big focus of our training sessions.

ETA: Any recommendations for a solid brand of pull up assist/ resistance bands? He wants to do pull ups but those are a long way off with his build.
I am a big guy, 6'5 250. I played football in HS and in college, but I have a heavier squat now than I did then. Back squat is around 435 and front squat is around 350. OH squat is around 250. I had to work for a long time on hip flexibility. You mentioned OH squats. I think that is what helped me the most. Well, olympic lifting in general. Really learning the full snatch movement, you have to get comfortable with your ass to the ground. They also help build explosive power. I would get him some oly lifting coaching.

Something else that really helps me is pause squats. I do them with back squats, front squats and OH squats.

Our new posting rules