Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 11 August 2015, 11:36
Been There Done That

That one hits home. Rest in Peace Mr. Tabata.
Old 11 August 2015, 11:59
#AllLionsMatter

This was written back in 04 when he was 73 y/o:

Quote:
Thomas ''Pappy'' Jones, a retired sergeant major, also works for the engineer committee and has worked with Tabata for years.

''There is an old saying in Asia that long after a man dies his spirit lives as long as somebody remembers his name,'' Jones said. ''If that saying is true, and I believe it is, Ernie Tabata is going to be with us for an awful long time to come.''
Thank you and RIP!
Education is all about gaining theoretical knowledge in the classroom or any institution. Training is a way to develop specific skills, whereas education is a typical system of learning.
Old 11 August 2015, 12:00
Been There Done That

Rest in Peace. Thanks for being an inspiration and a role model for so many 18C students for decades.

I still get a laugh out of the memory of one of our fellow 18C students on the first day of the course asking Mr. Tabata in broken English where his country DOA was in Asia, (from DOA on his BDUs) and SGM (ret) Tabata's response, "It is Department of the Army you stupid fuck!".

You are missed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11 August 2015, 12:51
Been There Done That

RIP SGM. DOL
Old 11 August 2015, 13:04
Been There Done That

Rest easy Mr. Tabata. You leave behind an amazing legacy. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
“The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.” -William F. Butler
Old 11 August 2015, 16:20

I normally have no business posting in an SF forum, I was just a Regular Army Joe, but Mr. Tabata was my neighbor and I just found out the news today when another neighbor came and told us.
As a testament to his humility, I can say I knew him for years as simply the friendly old man who regularly came to our house to give us vegetables from his garden. If we didn't see him in person, we'd come home to find a fresh batch in a plastic bag hanging from our doorknob. That was actually how it was the last time I saw him about a month ago: Through my living room window, putting his latest harvest at our door. He also often made it a point to tell me how much he enjoyed my wife's baking.
He used to always wear an SFA polo shirt. One time I asked him if he was in SF, he simply said, "Oh, that was long time ago." I assumed he was retired. Later I found out he was still an instructor decades after retiring, and only this year did my wife and I find out about his legendary status in the SF community.
I just spoke to one of his sons and the details of the service are still being worked out. Although a big military presence is expected, my family and I will also be in attendance, as civilians, as neighbors who will never forget the smiling old man who was the first to welcome us into the neighborhood.

Rest in Peace, Ernie. We all miss you.
Old 11 August 2015, 17:12
Been There Done That

RIP CSM.
Old 12 August 2015, 19:04
Swimming Upstream

Funeral information

http://www.rogersandbreece.com/notices/Ernest-Tabata/

Ernest Keiwo Tabata
October 8, 1930 ~ August 10, 2015 (age 84)
20 AUG, 1900-2100 Visitation (Rogers & Breece Funeral Home, 500 Ramsey Street, Fayetteville, NC 28301
21 AUG, 1030 Memorial Service (JFK Chapel, Fort Bragg, NC)
21 AUG Internment (Sandhills State Veterans Cemetery, Spring Lake, NC)
Old 12 August 2015, 19:25
Been There Done That

RIP.
Old 13 August 2015, 15:35
Confirmed User

Local media:

http://www.wral.com/former-fort-brag...reer/14827175/
Old 14 August 2015, 03:28
Psalm 91:2

RIP. Prayers for family and friends.

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 14 August 2015, 05:03
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beppo View Post
I normally have no business posting in an SF forum, I was just a Regular Army Joe, but Mr. Tabata was my neighbor and I just found out the news today when another neighbor came and told us.
As a testament to his humility, I can say I knew him for years as simply the friendly old man who regularly came to our house to give us vegetables from his garden. If we didn't see him in person, we'd come home to find a fresh batch in a plastic bag hanging from our doorknob. That was actually how it was the last time I saw him about a month ago: Through my living room window, putting his latest harvest at our door. He also often made it a point to tell me how much he enjoyed my wife's baking.
He used to always wear an SFA polo shirt. One time I asked him if he was in SF, he simply said, "Oh, that was long time ago." I assumed he was retired. Later I found out he was still an instructor decades after retiring, and only this year did my wife and I find out about his legendary status in the SF community.
I just spoke to one of his sons and the details of the service are still being worked out. Although a big military presence is expected, my family and I will also be in attendance, as civilians, as neighbors who will never forget the smiling old man who was the first to welcome us into the neighborhood.

Rest in Peace, Ernie. We all miss you.
Thank you for sharing your experience as Ernie's neighbor. Many of us knew him from an entirely different viewpoint- SF legend, instructor, humble, friendly, etc. Your story captures those same attributes in a different light. I enjoyed reading your story.

I'm sure you've seen the schedule for the funeral. Recommend arriving early.

A problem shared is a problem ridiculed
Old 14 August 2015, 08:27
Been There Done That

Udate on Ernie's JFK Service

The time is 1000 now at the JFK Chapel, with internment after service at Sand Hills Veterans Cemetary
Attached Files
File Type: docx Ernie's service.docx (13.8 KB, 23 views)
Old 17 August 2015, 17:27
The USA's Loose Cannon

Just got an email today - freaking sad

one of the greats

Beppo - did you buy dave kings old house? he used to live next door to Ernie early to mid 90s.

there are literally 1000s of charlies running around that are ernies legacy - a great legacy. He didnt leave his mark on the SF community. He left a smoking crater. P=Plenty
Old 17 August 2015, 21:08
Been There Done That

Rest In Peace SGM.
Old 20 August 2015, 16:04
Been There Done That

Reminder: Memorial for SGM Ernie Tabata is tomorrow at 1000, JFK Chapel. Arrive early as it won't even be SRO.
“The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.” -William F. Butler
Old 21 August 2015, 11:30
Been There Done That

Ernies service

Just got back from the Chapel. Very fitting service. Place was packed, as it should be.

As stated by many who spoke at the service, he was truly one of the "Quiet Professionals"

RIP Ernie, you will be greatly missed.

DOL
Old 21 August 2015, 13:00
Been There Done That

Fitting service indeed. Also attend the graveside, the last roll call has never been easy, this one certainly wasn't.

A problem shared is a problem ridiculed
Old 21 August 2015, 13:24
Been There Done That

[QUOTE=Godzilla;1058501354]Fitting service indeed. Also attend the graveside, the last roll call has never been easy, this one certainly wasn't.[/QUOTE]

Ya got that right....
Old 21 August 2015, 14:52
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glebo View Post
Just got back from the Chapel. Very fitting service. Place was packed, as it should be.

As stated by many who spoke at the service, he was truly one of the "Quiet Professionals"

RIP Ernie, you will be greatly missed.

DOL
Shoot, I guess we missed an opportunity to meet. Lot of history at that memorial.

Our new posting rules