Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 29 January 2018, 14:34
cj's Avatar
cj cj is offline
Sub Rosa
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 1,073
I took my girls last night to see it. It was okay, not in my top 25 war films.

However, I have to say, the 18D in the film was a twin of an 18B from 7th SFG from back in the 80s. His name was K. Bates. I mean the dude was him; slim build, brown hair and mustache, thick black eye glasses, and the same quiet soft spoken demeanor. Some of you former 7th group dudes might remember Bates as he served in RVN with a Ranger Company.
__________________
"error of opinion may be tolerated, where reason is left free to combat it." Thomas Jefferson
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 29 January 2018, 16:46
Devildoc Devildoc is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I took my girls last night to see it. It was okay, not in my top 25 war films.

However, I have to say, the 18D in the film was a twin of an 18B from 7th SFG from back in the 80s. His name was K. Bates. I mean the dude was him; slim build, brown hair and mustache, thick black eye glasses, and the same quiet soft spoken demeanor. Some of you former 7th group dudes might remember Bates as he served in RVN with a Ranger Company.
Those glasses are GMIs, gas mask inserts. I wore them deployed, too because they are indestructible.

I saw the movie with a friend and my wife's nephew who is now 21; after the movie he said he remembered me wearing mine 15 years ago....still have them somewhere....
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 30 January 2018, 12:30
johca johca is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Anchorage Alaska
Posts: 1,322
I saw the movie yesterday afternoon, for entertainment it was enjoyable. If I went to see it expecting it to be a creditable documentary it would be a disappointment.

I did significantly question the C-47 insert scene that implied this airframe had never before flown at 25,000 feet MSL and how long the route was flown at this altitude with the SF team not having access to supplemental oxygen.

As the Army had a unit flying CH-47Cs over the 20,320 foot summit of Mt Denali (McKinley) back during the late 1970s and landing at a 18,000 ft LZ for training I'm sure the claim of never been flown this high before can be questioned as to accuracy.

Considering I participated (28 July 1979, RCC mission number 159) in an out of ground effect hover using 40 feet of cargo hoist cable to rescue a distressed Japanese climber off the side of a near vertical slope at 16,400 feet I have been exposed to the effects of not having supplemental oxygen available at such high altitudes.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 30 January 2018, 14:51
Oldpogue Oldpogue is offline
Old and Grumpy
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northern Cental Indiana
Posts: 1,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by johca View Post
I saw the movie yesterday afternoon, for entertainment it was enjoyable. If I went to see it expecting it to be a creditable documentary it would be a disappointment.

I did significantly question the C-47 insert scene that implied this airframe had never before flown at 25,000 feet MSL and how long the route was flown at this altitude with the SF team not having access to supplemental oxygen.

As the Army had a unit flying CH-47Cs over the 20,320 foot summit of Mt Denali (McKinley) back during the late 1970s and landing at a 18,000 ft LZ for training I'm sure the claim of never been flown this high before can be questioned as to accuracy.

Considering I participated (28 July 1979, RCC mission number 159) in an out of ground effect hover using 40 feet of cargo hoist cable to rescue a distressed Japanese climber off the side of a near vertical slope at 16,400 feet I have been exposed to the effects of not having supplemental oxygen available at such high altitudes.
Not to mention all of the C47s that flew over the "Hump" (The Himalayas) in WW2 from India to China.
__________________
Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Of course that lets in the crackpots, but if you can't tell a crackpot when you see one, you oughta be taken in. Harry Truman
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 30 January 2018, 19:27
Hot Mess's Avatar
Hot Mess Hot Mess is offline
In Vino Veritas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Where you vacation
Posts: 10,929
Hot. Garbage.

I had pretty low expectations and somehow the movie was lower than expected. I canít think of one redeeming thing about this POS. The dialog was all wrong and any sort of militarism was thrown out the window. I mean, I guess their weapons, for the most part, were period correct...
__________________
Come on boys, you got to do it right, pray to the moon in the middle of the night
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 30 January 2018, 22:04
johca johca is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Anchorage Alaska
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpogue View Post
Not to mention all of the C47s that flew over the "Hump" (The Himalayas) in WW2 from India to China.
The WWII era c-47s were fixed wing aircraft. CH-47s are helicopters. Two different types of aircraft although the hump routes of WWII were certainly high altitude. I did omit the H as a typo, but I'm also not certain which CH-47 model with refueling probe was being depicted in the film and which model of CH-47 was actually used to do the insert
Interview: Special Forces ODA 595

Last edited by johca; 30 January 2018 at 22:11.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 30 January 2018, 23:52
Purple36's Avatar
Purple36 Purple36 is offline
Swimming Upstream
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: East Coast
Posts: 9,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Hot. Garbage.

I had pretty low expectations and somehow the movie was lower than expected. I canít think of one redeeming thing about this POS. The dialog was all wrong and any sort of militarism was thrown out the window. I mean, I guess their weapons, for the most part, were period correct...
What was it that you were disappointed with particularly.
__________________
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 30 January 2018, 23:57
Purple36's Avatar
Purple36 Purple36 is offline
Swimming Upstream
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: East Coast
Posts: 9,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Hot. Garbage.

I had pretty low expectations and somehow the movie was lower than expected. I can’t think of one redeeming thing about this POS. The dialog was all wrong and any sort of militarism was thrown out the window. I mean, I guess their weapons, for the most part, were period correct...
Funny, I thought the pretty much looked/acted/interacted like most of the guys who hang out at my house..and that includes you!
__________________
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 31 January 2018, 05:56
Hot Mess's Avatar
Hot Mess Hot Mess is offline
In Vino Veritas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Where you vacation
Posts: 10,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
Funny, I thought the pretty much looked/acted/interacted like most of the guys who hang out at my house..and that includes you!
It just seemed forced to me. Maybe not all of it but most of it. That Cpt. must have had the biggest, nicest, office a non company commander has ever had. And the TL meeting with the BC and CO The back and forth between the TL and Dotson had me rolling my eyes more than a few times. I expected a little more BHD than AOV.

I will say this, I went with my GF and she speaks Russian. She said the Russian spoken was correct. So I guess the movie had that going for it?
__________________
Come on boys, you got to do it right, pray to the moon in the middle of the night
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 31 January 2018, 11:46
The Fat Guy's Avatar
The Fat Guy The Fat Guy is offline
The Sagacious One
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pushing string down the hall
Posts: 13,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Hot. Garbage.

I had pretty low expectations and somehow the movie was lower than expected. I canít think of one redeeming thing about this POS. The dialog was all wrong and any sort of militarism was thrown out the window. I mean, I guess their weapons, for the most part, were period correct...
You just don't have enough team time. Don't worry, it will happen soon enough.
__________________
No one will take better care of us, than us: Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-8255
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 31 January 2018, 14:05
ET1/ss nuke's Avatar
ET1/ss nuke ET1/ss nuke is offline
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: sc
Posts: 5,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
I will say this, I went with my GF and she speaks Russian. She said the Russian spoken was correct.
I remember a time when that phrase alone would result in a knock at your door at midnight for folks in certain lines of work.
__________________
"I don't know whether the world is run by smart men who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Twain

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 31 January 2018, 15:47
Hot Mess's Avatar
Hot Mess Hot Mess is offline
In Vino Veritas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Where you vacation
Posts: 10,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
You just don't have enough team time. Don't worry, it will happen soon enough.
Meh, being SF was hard so I quit.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
I remember a time when that phrase alone would result in a knock at your door at midnight for folks in certain lines of work.
Meh, she immigrated here from a Soviet Block country when she was 10 and English is her third language. She works for the second most useless organization in the IC, who has a horrible pattern of insider problems. Iím 60/40 sheís FIS as it is.
__________________
Come on boys, you got to do it right, pray to the moon in the middle of the night
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 31 January 2018, 15:52
The Fat Guy's Avatar
The Fat Guy The Fat Guy is offline
The Sagacious One
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pushing string down the hall
Posts: 13,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Meh, being SF was hard so I quit.

Meh, she immigrated here from a Soviet Block country when she was 10 and English is her third language. She works for the second most useless organization in the IC, who has a horrible pattern of insider problems. Iím 60/40 sheís FIS as it is.
Welcome Ladies and Gentlemen to B5R Jr.
__________________
No one will take better care of us, than us: Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-8255
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 31 January 2018, 15:57
MixedLoad's Avatar
MixedLoad MixedLoad is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: NORCAL
Posts: 8,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Meh, being SF was hard so I quit.




Meh, she immigrated here from a Soviet Block country when she was 10 and English is her third language. She works for the second most useless organization in the IC, who has a horrible pattern of insider problems. Iím 60/40 sheís FIS as it is.
She got promoted, huh?
__________________
ďSuaviter in modo, fortiter in re"

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 31 January 2018, 17:14
Hot Mess's Avatar
Hot Mess Hot Mess is offline
In Vino Veritas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Where you vacation
Posts: 10,929
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Welcome Ladies and Gentlemen to B5R Jr.
LOL, well at least I can start making shit up and believe it as truth to justify my liberal BS views. Seems like things just got better
__________________
Come on boys, you got to do it right, pray to the moon in the middle of the night
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 31 January 2018, 17:33
Godzilla's Avatar
Godzilla Godzilla is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: In a Laboratory
Posts: 1,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
You just don't have enough team time. Don't worry, it will happen soon enough.
You were an officer...what do you know about team time?
__________________
Here's to nipples...without them, titties would be pointless

A problem shared is a problem ridiculed
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 31 January 2018, 17:35
gavin's Avatar
gavin gavin is offline
Unemployed Stunt Double
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: PNW
Posts: 6,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
She works for the second most useless organization in the IC, who has a horrible pattern of insider problems. Iím 60/40 sheís FIS as it is.
Hell, we've gotten to the point that a large part of our own IC is trying to out-FIS any actual FIS. I would trust FIS more than half of the career employees in most departments in the Executive Branch.
__________________
Lifeís barely long enough to get good at one thing. So be careful what you get good at.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 31 January 2018, 17:36
gavin's Avatar
gavin gavin is offline
Unemployed Stunt Double
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: PNW
Posts: 6,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
You were an officer...what do you know about team time?
STOP RIGHT THERE!!! I gotta go grab some popcorn, be right back...





Ok, proceed!
__________________
Lifeís barely long enough to get good at one thing. So be careful what you get good at.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 31 January 2018, 19:50
Gray Rhyno Gray Rhyno is offline
Authorized Personnel
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NoVa
Posts: 9,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
You were an officer...what do you know about team time?
Bazinga.
__________________
"The most HSLD stuff ever taught was the basics. So-called 'advanced training' is often no more than the very fluid and expert application of those basic skills." - SOTB
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 31 January 2018, 21:24
8654maine 8654maine is offline
Another pool cleaner
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 4,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
You were an officer...what do you know about team time?
Off the top rope!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Our new posting rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 21:58.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved
SOCNET