Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 29 January 2018, 14:34
Sub Rosa

I took my girls last night to see it. It was okay, not in my top 25 war films.

However, I have to say, the 18D in the film was a twin of an 18B from 7th SFG from back in the 80s. His name was K. Bates. I mean the dude was him; slim build, brown hair and mustache, thick black eye glasses, and the same quiet soft spoken demeanor. Some of you former 7th group dudes might remember Bates as he served in RVN with a Ranger Company.
Old 29 January 2018, 16:46
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I took my girls last night to see it. It was okay, not in my top 25 war films.

However, I have to say, the 18D in the film was a twin of an 18B from 7th SFG from back in the 80s. His name was K. Bates. I mean the dude was him; slim build, brown hair and mustache, thick black eye glasses, and the same quiet soft spoken demeanor. Some of you former 7th group dudes might remember Bates as he served in RVN with a Ranger Company.
Those glasses are GMIs, gas mask inserts. I wore them deployed, too because they are indestructible.

I saw the movie with a friend and my wife's nephew who is now 21; after the movie he said he remembered me wearing mine 15 years ago....still have them somewhere....
Old 30 January 2018, 12:30
Been There Done That

I saw the movie yesterday afternoon, for entertainment it was enjoyable. If I went to see it expecting it to be a creditable documentary it would be a disappointment.

I did significantly question the C-47 insert scene that implied this airframe had never before flown at 25,000 feet MSL and how long the route was flown at this altitude with the SF team not having access to supplemental oxygen.

As the Army had a unit flying CH-47Cs over the 20,320 foot summit of Mt Denali (McKinley) back during the late 1970s and landing at a 18,000 ft LZ for training I'm sure the claim of never been flown this high before can be questioned as to accuracy.

Considering I participated (28 July 1979, RCC mission number 159) in an out of ground effect hover using 40 feet of cargo hoist cable to rescue a distressed Japanese climber off the side of a near vertical slope at 16,400 feet I have been exposed to the effects of not having supplemental oxygen available at such high altitudes.
Old 30 January 2018, 14:51
Old and Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johca View Post
I saw the movie yesterday afternoon, for entertainment it was enjoyable. If I went to see it expecting it to be a creditable documentary it would be a disappointment.

I did significantly question the C-47 insert scene that implied this airframe had never before flown at 25,000 feet MSL and how long the route was flown at this altitude with the SF team not having access to supplemental oxygen.

As the Army had a unit flying CH-47Cs over the 20,320 foot summit of Mt Denali (McKinley) back during the late 1970s and landing at a 18,000 ft LZ for training I'm sure the claim of never been flown this high before can be questioned as to accuracy.

Considering I participated (28 July 1979, RCC mission number 159) in an out of ground effect hover using 40 feet of cargo hoist cable to rescue a distressed Japanese climber off the side of a near vertical slope at 16,400 feet I have been exposed to the effects of not having supplemental oxygen available at such high altitudes.
Not to mention all of the C47s that flew over the "Hump" (The Himalayas) in WW2 from India to China.
Old 30 January 2018, 19:27
In Vino Veritas

Hot. Garbage.

I had pretty low expectations and somehow the movie was lower than expected. I canít think of one redeeming thing about this POS. The dialog was all wrong and any sort of militarism was thrown out the window. I mean, I guess their weapons, for the most part, were period correct...
Old 30 January 2018, 22:04
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldpogue View Post
Not to mention all of the C47s that flew over the "Hump" (The Himalayas) in WW2 from India to China.
The WWII era c-47s were fixed wing aircraft. CH-47s are helicopters. Two different types of aircraft although the hump routes of WWII were certainly high altitude. I did omit the H as a typo, but I'm also not certain which CH-47 model with refueling probe was being depicted in the film and which model of CH-47 was actually used to do the insert
Interview: Special Forces ODA 595

Last edited by johca; 30 January 2018 at 22:11.
Old 30 January 2018, 23:52
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
Hot. Garbage.

I had pretty low expectations and somehow the movie was lower than expected. I canít think of one redeeming thing about this POS. The dialog was all wrong and any sort of militarism was thrown out the window. I mean, I guess their weapons, for the most part, were period correct...
What was it that you were disappointed with particularly.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 30 January 2018, 23:57
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
Hot. Garbage.

I had pretty low expectations and somehow the movie was lower than expected. I can’t think of one redeeming thing about this POS. The dialog was all wrong and any sort of militarism was thrown out the window. I mean, I guess their weapons, for the most part, were period correct...
Funny, I thought the pretty much looked/acted/interacted like most of the guys who hang out at my house..and that includes you!
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Old 31 January 2018, 05:56
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
Funny, I thought the pretty much looked/acted/interacted like most of the guys who hang out at my house..and that includes you!
It just seemed forced to me. Maybe not all of it but most of it. That Cpt. must have had the biggest, nicest, office a non company commander has ever had. And the TL meeting with the BC and CO The back and forth between the TL and Dotson had me rolling my eyes more than a few times. I expected a little more BHD than AOV.

I will say this, I went with my GF and she speaks Russian. She said the Russian spoken was correct. So I guess the movie had that going for it?
Old 31 January 2018, 11:46
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Hot. Garbage.

You just don't have enough team time. Don't worry, it will happen soon enough.
Old 31 January 2018, 14:05
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
I will say this, I went with my GF and she speaks Russian. She said the Russian spoken was correct.
I remember a time when that phrase alone would result in a knock at your door at midnight for folks in certain lines of work.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 31 January 2018, 15:47
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Meh, being SF was hard so I quit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
I remember a time when that phrase alone would result in a knock at your door at midnight for folks in certain lines of work.
Meh, she immigrated here from a Soviet Block country when she was 10 and English is her third language. She works for the second most useless organization in the IC, who has a horrible pattern of insider problems. Iím 60/40 sheís FIS as it is.
Old 31 January 2018, 15:52
The Sagacious One

Quote:

Meh, she immigrated here from a Soviet Block country when she was 10 and English is her third language. She works for the second most useless organization in the IC, who has a horrible pattern of insider problems. Iím 60/40 sheís FIS as it is.
Welcome Ladies and Gentlemen to B5R Jr.
Old 31 January 2018, 15:57
Been There Done That

Quote:

She got promoted, huh?

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Old 31 January 2018, 17:14
In Vino Veritas

Thumbs up

Quote:
Welcome Ladies and Gentlemen to B5R Jr.
LOL, well at least I can start making shit up and believe it as truth to justify my liberal BS views. Seems like things just got better
Old 31 January 2018, 17:33
Been There Done That

Quote:
You were an officer...what do you know about team time?

A problem shared is a problem ridiculed
Old 31 January 2018, 17:35
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
She works for the second most useless organization in the IC, who has a horrible pattern of insider problems. Iím 60/40 sheís FIS as it is.
Hell, we've gotten to the point that a large part of our own IC is trying to out-FIS any actual FIS. I would trust FIS more than half of the career employees in most departments in the Executive Branch.
Old 31 January 2018, 17:36
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
STOP RIGHT THERE!!! I gotta go grab some popcorn, be right back...

Ok, proceed!
Old 31 January 2018, 19:50
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Bazinga.
Old 31 January 2018, 21:24
Another pool cleaner

Quote:
Off the top rope!

Our new posting rules