Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Movies and TV

Old 31 January 2018, 21:40
FIDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
You were an officer...what do you know about team time?
Always have to watch the quiet ones....
Old 31 January 2018, 21:40
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
You were an officer...what do you know about team time?
I imagine TFG has been sitting at his computer for the last 7 hrs with his mouth agape, unable to move or speak Savage AF CSM (R)
Old 31 January 2018, 23:50
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Mess View Post
I imagine TFG has been sitting at his computer for the last 7 hrs with his mouth agape, unable to move or speak Savage AF CSM (R)
I literally LOLd...
Old 2 February 2018, 21:33
Moderator Weapons & H2H

Great men,good story but horrible movie. Terribly done movie on so many levels.

Rock

What people think about me is none of my business!

Thai Boxing: The sweetest science....The most brutal fighting sport in the world...Few men are cutout for it.
So for those who are not there is always Jiu-Jitsu.

YEMX
Old 8 February 2018, 10:49
Confirmed User

In regards to the documentary associated with this, were there AF Combat Controllers in country first, or is that not something to be discussed here.
Old 8 February 2018, 11:44
In Vino Veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
In regards to the documentary associated with this, were there AF Combat Controllers in country first, or is that not something to be discussed here.
There was CCT guy with CAG. He was awarded a Silver Star (?) I believe. “Peter Blaber” told me the story when I was on JOC duty late one night when they came in on their rotation out of country.
Old 8 February 2018, 20:41
Old and Broke

Quote:
IIRC all the initial ODA's had a Combat Controller attached.
Old 8 February 2018, 20:43
Confirmed User

I saw it last night with my dad. He's a WWII veteran. Although he's in his 90's he's sharp as a tack. He had read "horse soldiers" and said, "those Green Berets are great soldiers". He was really excited to see it.

The true story is so incredible that all Hollywood had to do was tell it and the film would be amazing. Too bad they didn't use the actual soldiers as technical advisors.
Old 11 February 2018, 18:03
Authorized Personnel

I thought it was an OK movie, maybe wait to see it on Redbox. The thing it does show that liked is the complexity of Afghan history and working with Afghan troops. It also showed the brutality of the Taliban in one scene.

Also the movie had some interesting previews such as chappaquiddick. Link below

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/chappaquiddick/

America...a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots

Never trust a politician that starts with " I have always supported American’s 2nd Amendment rights but… "

I will not submit to your will. I will not be intimidated.
Old 11 February 2018, 20:27
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thvet View Post
I thought it was an OK movie, maybe wait to see it on Redbox. The thing it does show that liked is the complexity of Afghan history and working with Afghan troops. It also showed the brutality of the Taliban in one scene.

Also the movie had some interesting previews such as chappaquiddick. Link below

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/chappaquiddick/
I didn't realize Ted Kennedy was a Senator during that incident.

Might be an interesting movie.
Old 11 February 2018, 21:00
Been There Done That

One movie about honorable men, and another movie about a cowardly liberal icon - dishonorable men.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11 February 2018, 21:09
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
One movie about honorable men, and another movie about a cowardly liberal icon - dishonorable men.
The preview at the theater did not pull any punches and basically called him a coward and “murder” as in vehicle man slaughter or whatever it’s cAlled

America...a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots

Never trust a politician that starts with " I have always supported American’s 2nd Amendment rights but… "

I will not submit to your will. I will not be intimidated.
Old 13 March 2018, 14:29
Another pool cleaner

I haven't seen the movie yet, but here are some youtube videos depicting the real ODA's. Great story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvTSsMKfL2c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftVa0fmF7_g
Old 13 March 2018, 20:14
Confirmed User

see from www.dtic.mil

Capturing Non-Linear Battlefield Operations: Conventional Air Forces’ Interdependence with Special Operations Forces
LIGHT.”65 EACH TEAM CONSISTED OF AN OPERATIONAL DETACHMENT ALPHA ( ODA ), NORMALLY 12 MEN, AND ONE OR TWO COMBAT CONTROLLERS FROM THE 720TH SPECIAL...Close Air Support; Forging a New Air-Ground Partnership (Santa Monica, CA: RAND Project Air Force, 2005) 51. The ODA (or “A Team”) is the basic...operational element of a Special Forces Group. Each ODA is commanded by a captain, with a warrant officer usually as the second in command. The ten
www.dtic.mil/docs/citations/ADA477181

Joint Terminal Attack Controller: Separating Fact From Fiction
reliant on SOF but in many SOF mission profiles, airpower is a critical enabler. The Special Forces (SF) Operational Detachment Alpha ( ODA ) that
www.dtic.mil/docs/citations/ADA424885

Improving USAF Special Tactics Readiness to Meet the Operational Demands of the USAF and US Special Operations Command (SOCOM)
www.dtic.mil/docs/citations/ADA404585

Airpower, Afghanistan, and the Future of Warfare: An Alternative View
www.dtic.mil/docs/citations/ADA462965

Quote:
Old 1 April 2018, 18:10
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockville View Post
see from www.dtic.mil

Capturing Non-Linear Battlefield Operations: Conventional Air Forces’ Interdependence with Special Operations Forces
LIGHT.........
Shit, we took an AF weather guy with us to the Sudan way back when. Shit, we could tell the higher ups it was hot but they wanted to know how hot. First and last time I ever got a HSLADS resupply. I'm sure Glebo remembers that one.

As for the movie. Finally saw it at the dollar movies. Yeah, I could kinda' recognize an A Team in there somewhere. CO, XO, commic relief, couple of stone cold killers and a medic. Was there a Team Sergeant in the movie? Didn't notice one.

Was surprised a bit at the crowd. It had been playing at the dollar movies for a couple of weeks and it was half full for the 3:00 show.
Old 12 April 2018, 10:00
Bitter old man.

Is it worth renting? As something to kill an evening.
Old 28 April 2018, 19:09
Very Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Is it worth renting? As something to kill an evening.
Yes, if you haven’t already.
Old 10 May 2018, 11:50
Moving Target

I watched it last night.I liked it. I was thinking about how I may have been in AStan if I hadnt of been so sick,but it wasnt meant to be.I Salute our SF men.
Old 10 May 2018, 19:21
Been There Done That

Rented last night. Saw long tab on right shoulder. Fell asleep.
Old 11 May 2018, 08:52
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAPete View Post
Shit, we took an AF weather guy with us to the Sudan way back when. Shit, we could tell the higher ups it was hot but they wanted to know how hot. First and last time I ever got a HSLADS resupply. I'm sure Glebo remembers that one.

As for the movie. Finally saw it at the dollar movies. Yeah, I could kinda' recognize an A Team in there somewhere. CO, XO, commic relief, couple of stone cold killers and a medic. Was there a Team Sergeant in the movie? Didn't notice one.

Was surprised a bit at the crowd. It had been playing at the dollar movies for a couple of weeks and it was half full for the 3:00 show.

Wow, I'm late to the party on this one. Yeah I remember that Pete. Remember the RGR's jumping in and landing IIRC several clicks from the DZ?? Poor dudes humped their asses off with all their shit to the turn in points. What a trip that was.

Wasn't the RGR infil supposed to be one of the longest ever?? Seems to me I heard it from somewhere...

Anyway, back on topic. When I first got to the commo committee as a GS in 03, we had one of the guys that was on that endeavor, had some good stories... I believe he went on to be a Chaplain, or chaplain asst

Our new posting rules