SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > Company Vetting and RFI

Old 29 December 2017, 13:15

SOC

I am working on obtaining my first WPS/WPS2 job, and I have an opportunity for a PSS/Paramedic position with SOC and Janus. I am leaning toward SOC because the pay rates are great, but I like the idea of being in Erbil with Janus. Anybody have any thoughts on overall company reputation an how well they treat their personnel? I've performed a search and did not see anything directly covering this. I'm trying to make an informed decision before telling one to initiate clearance request. I have already done the EQIP and BIO, but clearance has not been officially initated. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 29 December 2017, 13:39
‹ber Equus Asinus

I'd be more concerned about how the customer (DoS) treats people at either duty location than I would be how SOC or Janus will treat you.

Both are well established WPS providers that have been at the OCONUS security contract game for a long time..

Numerous people on this board have worked for both companies at one time or another.. and both companies have current representation here from the Sr. Mgt level down to the line dog level.

People have their preferences.. but the truth of the matter is either company will get your check deposited in your account on time and accurately.. and all companies in that line of work struggle with difficult customers, their own internal leadership/management problems, and maintaining a workforce where the professionals outnumber the assclowns.. The single biggest challenge for most on WPS is just getting their foot in the door.. If someone is offering you that opportunity, I'd recommend taking it, regardless of what company name is on the paycheck..

If you have multiple contracts in hand that have you able to deploy in the very near future (being recruited is no guarantee you are actually going to deploy anytime soon), then pick the one that is offering you whatever is most important to you (pay, location, etc..)..

Otherwise my recommendation is to not be picky.. take the job with whichever company gets you a set of plane tickets first.. then do your year.. and figure out after that if you like where you are, or if you want to try to make a change..

just my .02
Old 29 December 2017, 13:57
Administrator

Questions like that will get answers that vary widely depending on who you ask so the answers you get will probably only complicate your decision further. We also don't really allow people to run down one company or pump their favorites up on here. We try to just state facts as much as possible.

As far as Erbil goes:

- Great gig. Guys I know who worked Erbil loved it. Not necessarily anything to do with the company, but because it is Erbil.

- Erbil has visa issues. Been that way for a while and had nothing to do with the company in question. I know guys that have sat at home for months waiting on a Visa and not getting paid to wait. As you are probably aware the Kurds and the Iraqis are currently killing each other near Kirkuk. I'm sure that is not helping the situation at all.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 29 December 2017, 13:59
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post
I'd be more concerned about how the customer (DoS) treats people at either duty location than I would be how SOC or Janus will treat you.

Both are well established WPS providers that have been at the OCONUS security contract game for a long time..

Numerous people on this board have worked for both companies at one time or another.. and both companies have current representation here from the Sr. Mgt level down to the line dog level.

People have their preferences.. but the truth of the matter is either company will get your check deposited in your account on time and accurately.. and all companies in that line of work struggle with difficult customers, their own internal leadership/management problems, and maintaining a workforce where the professionals outnumber the assclowns.. The single biggest challenge for most on WPS is just getting their foot in the door.. If someone is offering you that opportunity, I'd recommend taking it, regardless of what company name is on the paycheck..

If you have multiple contracts in hand that have you able to deploy in the very near future (being recruited is no guarantee you are actually going to deploy anytime soon), then pick the one that is offering you whatever is most important to you (pay, location, etc..)..

Otherwise my recommendation is to not be picky.. take the job with whichever company gets you a set of plane tickets first.. then do your year.. and figure out after that if you like where you are, or if you want to try to make a change..

just my .02
Yep.

-ZZ Top
Old 29 December 2017, 14:04

Good points. I agree with the idea of going with who can get me there the fastest. Janus has said I could be in training at the end of January, which I am physically ready for, but then I risk being "unemployed" after completing the course while waiting for clearance approval, since wait times are so random and hard to predict. SOC won't send to training until clearance is approved, which could take longer, but then I have less risk of having a gap in employment.

I do have concerns about my clearance being approved: No criminal or conduct issues, just debt incurred since leaving the military in August: Rental property being vacant, credit cards for unexpected expenses, etc., which I have remedied by taking a second job. I am late on some bills, but no collections, bankruptcies, foreclosure or other "serious" issues. Are there "interim" clearances that can be granted to work with these companies? I have searched and can't find anything on them.
Old 29 December 2017, 14:15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rando View Post
I do have concerns about my clearance being approved: No criminal or conduct issues, just debt incurred since leaving the military in August: Rental property being vacant, credit cards for unexpected expenses, etc., which I have remedied by taking a second job. I am late on some bills, but no collections, bankruptcies, foreclosure or other "serious" issues. Are there "interim" clearances that can be granted to work with these companies? I have searched and can't find anything on them.

Yes you can get an interim clearance from State, but if you have any issues at all they generally wont give it to you. Interims are generally for those who don't have any immediate issues.

-ZZ Top
Old 29 December 2017, 16:26
Been There Done That

Clearance timeline is the same regardless of who is submitting it to DoS. See previous threads on DoS clearances for further questions about that.
Old 29 December 2017, 18:13

Rando, I am also looking into my first gig as a medic pending PHTLS. Can anyone advise on the pre-deployment timeline/training pipeline for the WPS medics once clearance is approved? In regards to location/company, which would offer the best clinic to movement/mission time for a Paramedic?
Old 29 December 2017, 19:34
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4ke175 View Post
Rando, I am also looking into my first gig as a medic pending PHTLS. Can anyone advise on the pre-deployment timeline/training pipeline for the WPS medics once clearance is approved? In regards to location/company, which would offer the best clinic to movement/mission time for a Paramedic?
You're asking the timeline from hiring to deployment among several large companies?!?! Do you want tonight's winning lotto numbers in advance as well?

Read the threads.
Old 29 December 2017, 19:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275RLTW View Post
You're asking the timeline from hiring to deployment among several large companies?!?! Do you want tonight's winning lotto numbers in advance as well?

Read the threads.
Typical predeployment pipeline duration specific to paramedics on WPS. I don't care about time from signing to wheels up. I have searched the threads.
Old 29 December 2017, 20:21
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4ke175 View Post
Typical predeployment pipeline duration specific to paramedics on WPS. I don't care about time from signing to wheels up. I have searched the threads.
There is no typical. PSS course is 42 days. Thatís your only constant. Everything else is unpredictable.
Old 29 December 2017, 20:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by 275RLTW View Post
There is no typical. PSS course is 42 days. Thatís your only constant. Everything else is unpredictable.
Right on, thanks!
Old 30 December 2017, 07:52
Confirmed User

I don't have any experience with Janus but have been to Erbil. Erbil was great but as far as I know Janus only has Erbil. SOC has Baghdad Security Force, Jerusalem, Central African Republic, and Mogadishu. SOC has also had a WPS contract for a long time where Janus has just won their first WPS contract.

The process can take a long time. I had 5.5 yrs of WPS experience as a paramedic and it took me a year to get back in so don't quit your day job. Financially you would be much better off waiting to get your clearance and then going to training than quitting a job, going to training, and then waiting around for your clearance to come through unless you have an employer that's understanding if you take some time off to go to training and then come back to your job.

Winston Churchill

Put a small child in a playpen with an apple and a bunny. If s/he eats the apple and plays with the bunny, s/he's normal;but if s/he eats the bunny and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car. Somewhere along the line we must have been TAUGHT to do the wrong thing.

Maynard James Keenan
Old 30 December 2017, 08:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jong View Post

The process can take a long time. I had 5.5 yrs of WPS experience as a paramedic and it took me a year to get back in so don't quit your day job. Financially you would be much better off waiting to get your clearance and then going to training than quitting a job, going to training, and then waiting around for your clearance to come through unless you have an employer that's understanding if you take some time off to go to training and then come back to your job.
Sage advice and best recommendation youíll get.
Old 30 December 2017, 17:11

I believe the SOC task order is static while the Janus task order is mobile. That would be another thing you might want to consider.

Our new posting rules