SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Snipers

Old 13 January 2018, 21:43
Navigating

Army’s new Sniper Rifle

Curious if anyone has any personal experience with the Army’s new Semi-auto sniper rifle (H&K). My agency is looking buy a few but before they do I’d like to know the good, bad and ugly about them. Thanks!
Old 14 January 2018, 09:49
Shakin' the bush Boss

256 PM'd me about this platform and I'm lost like last year's easter egg on HK products. My entire HK experience was PSG-1's a couple of decades ago and MP5 stuff. I'm sure somebody here is current on HK stuff or has some recommendations on other semi-auto platforms.
Old 14 January 2018, 20:41
Confirmed User

At the 2017 SHOT Show, Heckler & Koch was proudly displaying their victorious CSASS entrant, now designated the M110A1 by the US Army. The Compact Semi-Automatic Sniper System competition was created to find a lighter weight, more compact sniper weapon system to replace the Knight’s Armament M110 SASS. The H&K rifle that reportedly won the contract was slightly different than the rifle on display at the show, the latter sporting the new Geissele M-LOK handguard which replaced HK’s proprietary “backwards Keymod” negative attachment handguard.
The M110A1 is based on H&K’s G28 rifle, which in turn is a derivative of the HK417 7.62mm counterpart to the company’s successful 5.56mm HK416 rifles. Unlike the steel-receiver G28, the M110A1 uses an aluminum upper receiver to save weight and meet the US Army’s requirement of 9.0lbs or less without optics and accessories. Without magazine or accessories, the M110A1 is listed at about 8.4 pounds unloaded, a much more competitive weight than any of HK’s previous AR-pattern 7.62mm rifles. The M110A1 is advertised in H&K’s literature as coming fully equipped with a Schmidt & Bender 3-20×50 PMII Ultra Short optic, Geissele optic mount, OSS SRM6 suppressor, and 6-9 Harris bipod and mount. A little math on that setup gives us a weight of about 6.8kg for the fully loaded and equipped M110A1, which in Armstrong units is about 15 pounds. Whew! Not light, but then that’s the reason for the Army’s strict baseline weight requirement!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0117171106b-768x432.jpg (38.7 KB, 633 views)
File Type: jpg 0117171107e.jpg (46.5 KB, 631 views)
File Type: jpg 0117171108g.jpg (37.6 KB, 632 views)
Old 15 January 2018, 04:54
Navigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
256 PM'd me about this platform and I'm lost like last year's easter egg on HK products. My entire HK experience was PSG-1's a couple of decades ago and MP5 stuff. I'm sure somebody here is current on HK stuff or has some recommendations on other semi-auto platforms.
Thanks for helping gain some tread on this, Gsniper.

Wildman, thanks for all the insight. Looks like we've secured a day of shooting with the rifles in the near future. Really curious about their accuracy. We have one SCAR 17 we use between the snipers and it's super accurate for cold bore shots. Seems to get weird as we put more rounds (50 or more) through the barrel. Probably because of that skinny barrel profile.

I'll report back in this thread once we get some time with the rifles.
Old 27 February 2018, 22:15
Navigating

Ordered Schmidt and Bender Ultra Shorts (MOA reticle and turrets) for the rifles. I don’t have any experience with S&B so I’m hoping for success. Will report back as I get new info.
Old 27 February 2018, 22:43
Administrator

Can't go wrong with the shit benders if you can afford them. Badger rings and bases also.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 27 February 2018, 23:03
Navigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
Can't go wrong with the shit benders if you can afford them. Badger rings and bases also.
We went with Geissele Super Precision. A very generous LE supporter donated 4 HK762s to our team, complete with all the good stuff.
Old 28 February 2018, 10:38
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256 View Post
We have one SCAR 17 we use between the snipers and it's super accurate for cold bore shots. Seems to get weird as we put more rounds (50 or more) through the barrel. Probably because of that skinny barrel profile.

I'll report back in this thread once we get some time with the rifles.
If this is for a police Dept, a rifle with an accurate cold bore shot is the most important factor as you'll probably never need to fire 50rnds?
Old 28 February 2018, 12:36
Navigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e22 View Post
If this is for a police Dept, a rifle with an accurate cold bore shot is the most important factor as you'll probably never need to fire 50rnds?
No question, I’m just informing people that in my experience the SCAR seems to lose accuracy as you put more rounds through it.
Old 28 February 2018, 13:28
Administrator

Quote:
No question, I’m just informing people that in my experience the SCAR seems to lose accuracy as you put more rounds through it.
As in cumulatively over time? Or as the barrel heats up?

-ZZ Top
Old 28 February 2018, 14:41
Navigating

Quote:
As the barrel heats up, we’ve only had it 2 years.
Old 28 February 2018, 19:58
Navigating

Quote:
The gentleman that donated the HK762s for the snipers also donated 20 HK416s. We got to play with both today. The 416s had 10.5” barrels, different animal for sure. Much different recoil impulse than our 14” ARs. We were very impressed with the HK762s. Extremely accurate, very easily under 1 MOA. The recoil management on the 762s was awesome. The SCAR is great too but it seems to bounce around; it’s so light. The HK is about 2 pounds heavier, which I see as “helpful” weight. Follow up shots from the SCAR isn’t hard by any means, but they are much easier from the HK platform.
Old 1 March 2018, 00:44
Administrator

I carried a 10.5 416 suppressed in Iraq and Afg. Heavy and lot of gas in your face when suppressed. Not a huge fan.

-ZZ Top
Old 1 March 2018, 10:38
Navigating

Quote:
I carried a 10.5 416 suppressed in Iraq and Afg. Heavy and lot of gas in your face when suppressed. Not a huge fan.
I agree, much more felt recoil as well (SBR in general). I was a little worried to put, "the 416 is a heavy weapon, not sure I like it." The HK people might have come out of their dark hiding places with feathers and tar in hand; passionate people...I'm curious, did the suppressor help with recoil? My rifle/suppressor experience is limited.
Old 1 March 2018, 13:46
Administrator

No noticable difference in recoil. My issue was the big balloon of fire out of that 10.5" barrel fighting at night. Bad juju.

-ZZ Top
Old 2 March 2018, 02:17
Navigating

Quote:
No noticable difference in recoil. My issue was the big balloon of fire out of that 10.5" barrel fighting at night. Bad juju.
Sound reasoning.
Old 2 March 2018, 02:41
Unemployed Stunt Double

Unless you are able to use ammo formulated just for SBRs (like Hornady TAP SBR), the Great Balls O' Fire is always a problem.

Wouldn't work in the 416, but I have a Gemtech "suppressed" BCG in my 10.3" BCM, signifcantly reduces the blast of gas out the ejection port.

If you are getting the HK precision rifles for free or close to it, I think they are a good option...however, I have found care and feeding for HKs can be more spendy than other brands/systems. The .mil is not that concerned about the cost, but state/local LE organizations don't get to print $$$ and run in the red every year. YMMV.
Old 2 March 2018, 03:54
Navigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Unless you are able to use ammo formulated just for SBRs (like Hornady TAP SBR), the Great Balls O' Fire is always a problem.

Wouldn't work in the 416, but I have a Gemtech "suppressed" BCG in my 10.3" BCM, signifcantly reduces the blast of gas out the ejection port.

If you are getting the HK precision rifles for free or close to it, I think they are a good option...however, I have found care and feeding for HKs can be more spendy than other brands/systems. The .mil is not that concerned about the cost, but state/local LE organizations don't get to print $$$ and run in the red every year. YMMV.
The HK762s/optics/416s/optics were completely donated. I’m trying to get very unique gift for him donated by members of our team. Not sure what to get for a person as well off as him, that he can’t buy for himself. I thought about a team picture enlarged but that doesn’t seem too original.
Old 2 March 2018, 10:55
Unemployed Stunt Double

Quote:
The HK762s/optics/416s/optics were completely donated. I’m trying to get very unique gift for him donated by members of our team. Not sure what to get for a person as well off as him, that he can’t buy for himself. I thought about a team picture enlarged but that doesn’t seem too original.
I'll PM a couple of ideas in a bit.
Old 2 March 2018, 12:58
Confirmed User

A hand carved plaque of your team's emblem with a good heartfelt inscription is always appropriate. Rich people like things no one else has. A really nice one of a kind plaque is something they can hang on the wall behind their desk to show off. Make sure the presentation is a big deal to cement the importance. I don't mean some bullshit PR stunt. I mean the whole team is there and every swinging dick shakes his hand and expresses true gratitude because he gave you one hell of a gift. A man who would give you what he did will appreciate that kind of thing.

x/S

Our new posting rules