Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 26 January 2018, 00:12
Moonracer

Thanks for the SLOW thread. I am 55 years old. Currently a 39 waist. 511 height and 250lbs. Went from 32 waist to the 39 over a ten year period. Workouts used to be combination of weights and strength with cardio of swimming 1-2 miles 4 times per week and/or treadmill.
Working out went from something I enjoyed to just the thought of a gym a real challenge just to walk through the front door. After knee replacement surgery I lost motivation to workout. Which was probably the time I needed it most. Looking to get back to about 195-205lbs and a 34 waist. I post less often than I used to but always appreciate the SMEs and the candid advice here.
Polypro,
For the TRT advice and this thread of sensible and science based weight loss and training ideas from everyone, much appreciated and thank you. Sometimes, hearing others in the same boat doing something about it is just the kick in the ass I need.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

A little science estranges one from God. A lot of science brings one back. -Francis Bacon
Old 26 January 2018, 00:30
Moonracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
It's going to suck. Suck it up buttercup.
Yup. Its a grind

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

A little science estranges one from God. A lot of science brings one back. -Francis Bacon
Old 26 January 2018, 07:33
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Handsome AF!
Congrats on your achievements Poly - excellent!
Old 26 January 2018, 07:54
Authorized Personnel

I know old and slow, as I am one. 70, 5'10,185lbs, broke back L3-4, gall bladder gone, thyroid O/A, pancreas slow, prostrate large and an artificial joint in my big toe. Saliva works off and on, because of radiation. Right shoulder screwed up along with left wrist, stuff you learn to live with...

I still hit the gym, on good days, 5 days per week.

The last ten pounds have been with me for a long time and it looks like they are something I'll keep. Disciplined eating is very hard as my wife still enjoys preparing full meals.

My only advice would be to keep working your heart and breathing.

Goals will change as you age.
Old 26 January 2018, 09:13
BTDT

Quote:
Xenonburnout "...and this thread of sensible and science based weight loss and training"
When I get "into" something, I go all out until I know everything that can be found on the internet. I stopped with all the computer encryption/politics stuff, and researched Exercise Physiology and Sports Nutrition for about 4hrs/day, every day, since 2014 - still do. I only use credible sources - ie. PhD's and MD's *that also train* and legit Randomized Controlled Trials (and especially Meta-Analyses) on PubMed, etc... No "Bro-Science" BS. Just a small sample that you can also look up are anything on/by:

Examine.com
Suppversity.com

Mike Israetel
Brad Schoenfeld
Eric Helms
James Krieger
Broderick Chaves
Greg Nuchols
Alan Aragon
Jeremy Loenneke
Stu Phillips

Teach a man to fish...
Old 26 January 2018, 09:23
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Canned tuna and salad help much?
There are no "magic foods". As long as you are in a caloric deficit, you could literally eat that amount of Pure Cane Sugar only, and lose fat. A few guys actually have - One guy used McDonalds burgers and fries, another guy used Twinkies - they both lost fat.

Now, this is NOT recommended, because your micronutrients will be screwed, and without enough protein you'll lose muscle mass - but it demonstrates the math and thermodynamics: If you eat less than your body needs, it will pulls from fat stores.

So eat what you want as long as you are meeting the required fat (.5-1g/kg) and protein (1.6-2.2g/kg. I'd just shoot for 2, as more protein can only help, not hurt), with the remainder carbs. Obviously, nutritious whole food is better than a Pop-Tart.

You need to actually LIKE what you are eating - or you'll quit and go back to bad habits.
Old 26 January 2018, 15:53
Confirmed User

Quote:
There are no "magic foods". As long as you are in a caloric deficit, you could literally eat that amount of Pure Cane Sugar only, and lose fat. A few guys actually have - One guy used McDonalds burgers and fries, another guy used Twinkies - they both lost fat.

Now, this is NOT recommended, because your micronutrients will be screwed, and without enough protein you'll lose muscle mass - but it demonstrates the math and thermodynamics: If you eat less than your body needs, it will pulls from fat stores.

So eat what you want as long as you are meeting the required fat (.5-1g/kg) and protein (1.6-2.2g/kg. I'd just shoot for 2, as more protein can only help, not hurt), with the remainder carbs. Obviously, nutritious whole food is better than a Pop-Tart.

You need to actually LIKE what you are eating - or you'll quit and go back to bad habits.
Thanks, I will get going ASAP. Out to do power walk..
Thanks again.
Old 27 January 2018, 06:34
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8654maine View Post
No matter the age, sex, condition, health or time-of-day, it is never too late to get fit.

It is never too late to get stronger, faster, leaner, and better.

For a while, I let myself go. I smoked. I slothed. I overate.
Yup, sounds like what I did (and probably every other former fit, now fat, person). I started in Jan 2014 - in April a doctor made me get on a scale and it read 285 (was 198 in Bn at age 20-21). Since I bet I dropped at least 10 lbs (I average 1.5lbs/week on a "cut") - I was most likely pushing 3 Bills in Jan.

People don't realize that once you gut it out for 8-12 weeks, it becomes a habit and you can't stop. Give it a year (which is not really a long time) and you can drop 50-75lbs of fat or more. If you're over 40, go get your hormones checked and hop on HRT - and you'll laugh at people bitching about getting "old"
Old 27 January 2018, 08:41
Confirmed User

Quote:
Yup, sounds like what I did (and probably every other former fit, now fat, person). I started in Jan 2014 - in April a doctor made me get on a scale and it read 285 (was 198 in Bn at age 20-21). Since I bet I dropped at least 10 lbs (I average 1.5lbs/week on a "cut") - I was most likely pushing 3 Bills in Jan.

People don't realize that once you gut it out for 8-12 weeks, it becomes a habit and you can't stop. Give it a year (which is not really a long time) and you can drop 50-75lbs of fat or more. If you're over 40, go get your hormones checked and hop on HRT - and you'll laugh at people bitching about getting "old"
What specifics are you looking at on your blood work to tell if there is a problem? Or, should I ask, what test do you request from your Doc?
Old 27 January 2018, 16:57
Moonracer

Quote:
When I get "into" something, I go all out until I know everything that can be found on the internet. I stopped with all the computer encryption/politics stuff, and researched Exercise Physiology and Sports Nutrition for about 4hrs/day, every day, since 2014 - still do. I only use credible sources - ie. PhD's and MD's *that also train* and legit Randomized Controlled Trials (and especially Meta-Analyses) on PubMed, etc... No "Bro-Science" BS. Just a small sample that you can also look up are anything on/by:

Examine.com
Suppversity.com

Mike Israetel
Brad Schoenfeld
Eric Helms
James Krieger
Broderick Chaves
Greg Nuchols
Alan Aragon
Jeremy Loenneke
Stu Phillips

Teach a man to fish...
Thanks again Poly

Old 27 January 2018, 23:49
Authorized Personnel

This is good stuff. I'm 41 and have always been fairly thin, with a high metabolism. 3 kids and a bizarre work schedule later, my exercise routine is non-existent and I've been eating when I can and usually stuffing myself because I'm starving. Now I'm decidedly "puffy" around the midsection and my resting BP has started to creep up. This has been great to read and lots of good info (and motivation) in here too.
Old 28 January 2018, 16:20

Quote:
(was 198 in Bn at age 20-21)
And back then you could throw down 2 Ranger burgers and a 12 pack, and it didn't matter. Age catches up to you if you don't take care of yourself. Nice to see that you are in just as good as shape if not better than you were back when we were young and dumb!

Check your PMs
Old 29 January 2018, 11:16
Shakin' the bush Boss

Quote:
You need to track calories, and eat the right ratios as above.
Started tracking this morning and figured my calorie requirements. When I'm trying to figure my 500-1000 cal deficit, should i subtract my workout cals from my food cals to get my actual number? My primary cardio is treadmill and it tells me cals burnt at the end of my run.
Old 29 January 2018, 11:36
Administrator

Quote:
Started tracking this morning and figured my calorie requirements. When I'm trying to figure my 500-1000 cal deficit, should i subtract my workout cals from my food cals to get my actual number? My primary cardio is treadmill and it tells me cals burnt at the end of my run.

Certainly no expert and Poly can correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that the calories you are burning by working out would count towards your calorie deficit. Let's say your maintenance caloric intake is 2300 (not gaining or losing weight) and your target caloric intake is 1800 to cut weight. If you are eating 1800 calories per day and you burned 200 on the treadmill, and ate the same food, you would have 1600 for the day. That would allow you to eat 200 more calories and still maintain your target of 1800, or you could eat the same and do 1600. That is why the calculator that Poly posted specifically asks about your activity levels(Sedentary, semi-active, active etc). If you are working out every day you can eat a bit more and still maintain your target intake. If you are sedentary, you are relying totally on the caloric intake of your diet for cutting weight.

That is my understanding anyway.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 29 January 2018, 11:42
Shakin' the bush Boss

Yeah, the calculator Poly posted says my maintainance number is just shy of 2700. I'm taking the long approach and trying to maintain plus/minus 500 of deficit. I don't have a ton of weight I need to loose and time is on my side since I'm retired now.

So I had 323 cals for breakfast and just burnt 350 on the treadmill, so I can have 6 beers for lunch, right?
Old 29 January 2018, 11:45
Administrator

Quote:
Yeah, the calculator Poly posted says my maintainance number is just shy of 2700. I'm taking the long approach and trying to maintain plus/minus 500 of deficit. I don't have a ton of weight I need to loose and time is on my side since I'm retired now.

So I had 323 cals for breakfast and just burnt 350 on the treadmill, so I can have 6 beers for lunch, right?

As long as they are 4.5 calories or less each....Yes.
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Old 29 January 2018, 11:58
Shakin' the bush Boss

Looks like I picked a bad week to quit amphetimines.
Old 29 January 2018, 15:11
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Looks like I picked a bad week to quit amphetimines.
On the plus side, they do keep your heart rate up.
Old 29 January 2018, 19:54
The atomic zit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
As long as they are 4.5 calories or less each....Yes.
If that man decided he wanted to drink six beers a week, he should do that. And if he wants to do that for breakfast one morning then, big boy rules, no more beer for him that week.

BTW, 6x90/day = bout a pound a week!
Old 29 January 2018, 20:28
Supporterator

Reason #13,349 why I love SOCNet.

Man Poly--great job climbing back up the hill.

You guys are an inspiration to this 33 year old. Love the convict fitness stuff too--lack of equipment is NEVER an excuse!

Our new posting rules