SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 8 February 2018, 06:46
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Welshan View Post
For example running is out as even a short run causes the soles of my feet to separate and then require a month or two of wound treatment. Walking is still doable as long as I limit it to 1 hour or less and avoid any hotspots on feet.
A brisk 45 minute walk is all you need - unless you *have* to be a good runner, which you don't. Former Mil guys need to dump the thought that they should run (again, unless you compete, are still in, etc...) - too many downsides and you can get the cardio other ways. The heart doesn't know that you're running or swimming, or walking fast. An Elliptical or Climbing rig (VersaClimber or Steel Climber) would probably be great for your feet.
Old 9 February 2018, 02:07
Confirmed User

Very well, Polypro

Much to my delight, I opened the forum and saw that you are looking to share some knowledge. I brought my current predicament especially for you.

Situation: Presently working a horrifying contract, in penance for allowing my security clearance to expire and now requiring another investigation.

Recent training: Programming from 5/3/1 Forever

Working: 6 days per week, 15 hours per day (with commute)

Equipment availability: Apartment gym with a compliment of normal cardio equipment. Reasonable compliment of dumbbells up to God knows what in KG. Rogue rack, with pull up bar, with only x4 20 KG plates. There is a pool that can be used for swimming laps.

Mission: General fitness, general survival at this point. I can't imagine improving any of my lifts.

Execution: ___________
Old 9 February 2018, 07:22
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrrhic0369 View Post
I brought my current predicament especially for you.

Execution: ___________
A. You need to make the time you need, period. Too busy = then get fat and die young, orphaning your children quicker - IMO

B. The Nutrition anyone can do, so that's no problem.

C. Programming: Again, time will dictate it seems, so I would think Full Body Workouts at least 2x/week would fit well. Do some form of Cardio everyday (brisk walking, going up stairs, a machine, etc...)

D.As far as what you can do in the gym, this is your friend:

http://www.exrx.net/index.html

As just an example, unilateral movements require a lot less weight - for Legs, do Bulgarian Split Squats or Russian Step Ups.

I program a rolling 1 Day Resistance Training : 2 Days Cardio, repeat - for myself. I have 4 blocks of exercises and just cycle through, so my Micro-cycle is actually 10 days vs the usual 7. So I end up hitting each muscle group at least 3 times in 10 days.

The latest research (a lot from Brad Schoenfeld at http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/blog/ ) says all you need is twice a week to see hypertrophy, with 3x being a bit better, but more than that having diminishing returns - see this interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku1kL7nNyuU

The minimums for improvement (and you can maintain what you have with less) are *generally*:

Intensity (how much weight is on the bar/dumbbell) = at least 60% of your 1 Rep Max.

Frequency (how many times each muscle group is stimulated) = 2x/Week.

Volume (how many Sets) = at least 10 Sets per week. So 5 Sets on Mon, and 5 Sets on Thur would meet that.

As you improve, you will need to do more to keep improving, but there is a limit because you need to recover as well. This gets into things like MEV and MRV (Minimum Effective Volume and Maximum Recoverable Volume) - a bit advanced - listen/read/watch Mike Israetel.

Also from Mike, I do a periodization scheme of 4 weeks Hypertrophy using alternating weekly Rep Ranges of 11-15 and 6-10 - followed by 2 weeks of alternating 3-5, and 1-3 for Strength. I adjust based on how I feel (Auto-regulation) and may add a week to either one. So my Mesocycles are about 6-8 weeks.
Old 9 February 2018, 10:03
Confirmed User

Sounds like a plan. I found a full body lifting workout that I am planning on running three days a week, with some low impact cardio on the other days. I will check out those links. Thanks for the input.
Old 10 February 2018, 22:52
Authorized Personnel

If you are not tracking your intake, you should start. If you donít have clue how to eat and have a few spare $, pay someone to guide you and hold you accountable. After bouncing around with various diets I started tracking with MyFitnessPal. Since I had no real idea what I was doing, I paid for a service to guide me and keep me accountable. Turns out I was not eating enough and the furnace, so to speak, was not burning hot enough.
I used Working Against Gravity. $160 a month for 6 months and went from 195-200lb to 180. Weekly checkins with pictures, measurements and food diary. No urges to binge or looking forward to cheat days or diet limitations. My coach put me on 40% Carb, 31% Protien, 29% fat. They adjusted my diet as I progressed and when I had harder days or longer workouts or races. Well worth the money. So at 47 y/o, I had abs and endless energy. Iím sure there are other services but this worked for me. YMMV.

Yes, I tried Keto at one point an bonked hard during races. Tried Paleo. All short term success. Long term, they were not sustainable. I always had urges to ďcheatĒ or binge eat.
I can drink beer (or any alcohol) and count it as any combo of carb and/or fat. There wer a few times when I was very short on carb and fat for the day and had a few beers to make it up.
The dietary intake of most people suck. Fix it. Your workouts will jump.
I did 22 rounds of Cindy (CrossFit WOD) in 20 minutes and could have kept going for at least another 10 minutes if I so desired. Parked my car and ran to the gym a few months ago and covered 2.5 miles in 16:25. Amazing what you can do without the spare tire.
Diet has to be the focus.

Now that Iím down in fat, my focus is building strength and muscle so my constant weight is about 185 but my waist is still the same as when I was at 180. Shirts are tighter in the right places and had to buy new clothes. 48 y/0 is around the corner and Iíll me running a 50K OCR and Ragnar Trail. Everything is better. Focus on diet.

Adding this because the subject was broached: Dropping that much fat does make the dick look bigger.
Old 27 June 2018, 11:43
Shakin' the bush Boss

Well, I made it thru an almost 90 day sedentary period due to back surgery without adding any weight. Got back in the workout game on Monday. Starting easy and working my way back up so as my grandfather would say I don't stretch a grundle trying to kill myself in the first week.
Old 27 June 2018, 11:53
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
I remember being a 21 YO corporal, and after Thursday night field days my barracks roommate and I could split a 12 pack of beer and a XL pizza from Dominos and not think twice about it.
Split?

Shit, I could consume that by myself back in the day....

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 27 June 2018, 11:55
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
DH met him in a bar a couple years ago and they both called me, LOL!
That was in Chicago at Ted Tullin's dad's funeral. That guy was hilarious.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 27 June 2018, 11:57
Calculating Infinity...

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
Well, I made it thru an almost 90 day sedentary period due to back surgery without adding any weight. Got back in the workout game on Monday. Starting easy and working my way back up so as my grandfather would say I don't stretch a grundle trying to kill myself in the first week.
Good to hear, brother! Take it slow and keep us updated.
Old 28 June 2018, 06:32
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
That was in Chicago at Ted Tullin's dad's funeral. That guy was hilarious.
Yeah, he's hoot. His uncle was SF.
Old 6 July 2018, 22:59
The Sagacious One

Not like me to brag as it damages the fragile and moderately feminine ego's of, well let's just say their call sign's rhyme with WilberFullit and mavin.

I will be 60 in a few months, and just got my bloodwrk back from my physical....

heart rate 73
BP 130/80
Cholesterol 190
Triglycerides 327 (down from 485)
I could lose about 20 lbs but yesterday in the 95 degree heat, I bucked 456 bales of hay with one other guy.

All of these stats = Unmedicated

"Mavin" that doesn't mean you shouldn't keep taking your happy pills.
Old 6 July 2018, 23:49
Squelch

Poly,

Trying to gain a few lbs of muscle while losing the gut.
Been gyming for a few months and hit some impressive numbers (to me) before getting sick and losing a lot of it.

Currently taking protein, BCAAs, and trying kre alkyline.
Are the Supplements a waste of time and money? Probably stopping once they are gone due to mostly the cost.

currently 5'10, about 152-154lbs, if you trust the scale at the gym that measures BF about 15% down from 24%
Old 6 July 2018, 23:51
Never to old to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Not like me to brag as it damages the fragile and moderately feminine ego's of, well let's just say their call sign's rhyme with WilberFullit and mavin.

I will be 60 in a few months, and just got my bloodwrk back from my physical....

heart rate 73
BP 130/80
Cholesterol 190
I could lose about 20 lbs but yesterday in the 95 degree heat, I bucked 456 bales of hay with one other guy.

Keep it up, by the way were those bales 100 or the 125 Lbs. I know what that is. Growing during the Summer in N.M. that what I did along with a lot of guys getting ready for Foot Ball season for H.S.

Get the Cholesterol 190, Triglycerides 327 down
Old 7 July 2018, 08:18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post

heart rate 73
BP 130/80
Cholesterol 190

20lbs
Old 7 July 2018, 08:26
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman43 View Post
Keep it up, by the way were those bales 100 or the 125 Lbs. I know what that is. Growing during the Summer in N.M. that what I did along with a lot of guys getting ready for Foot Ball season for H.S.

Get the Cholesterol 190, Triglycerides 327 down
No one makes bales that size anymore as ultimately they are all handled by a woman feeding her horses.
Old 7 July 2018, 11:51
The Sagacious One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
20lbs
Sorry Brother....

This many

Old 8 July 2018, 21:42
Confirmed User

I have a question about deadlifting as I've heard a few different ideas on this. Currently I'm lifting 225 lbs about 8 or 10 reps my first set and about 5 or 6 reps on the subsequent sets. I'm doing between 3-5 sets depending on my energy level. I only deadlift once every week or week and a half. Is this enough or would it benefit me to deadlift 2 or more times a week?
Old 13 July 2018, 09:41
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty Bones View Post
Poly,

Trying to gain a few lbs of muscle while losing the gut.
Been gyming for a few months and hit some impressive numbers (to me) before getting sick and losing a lot of it.

Currently taking protein, BCAAs, and trying kre alkyline.
Are the Supplements a waste of time and money? Probably stopping once they are gone due to mostly the cost.

currently 5'10, about 152-154lbs, if you trust the scale at the gym that measures BF about 15% down from 24%
9x% of all "sports performance" supplements are BS Snake Oil. Caffeine, Creatine, and Ephedrine (not a supp anymore, but available OTC in most states) are about the only things worth the money.

**Health related supplements fair a bit better - like Curcumin, Grape Seed Extract etc... in the "shown to actually do something when swallowed by humans" category**

But don't waste your money on fancy Creatine - it's all BS marketing. Get a Kilo of Creapure Creatine Mono from Swanson's Vitamins for ~$20 before discounts and take 5g/Day for life. Lots of data coming out on Creatine and cognitive benefits, in addition to cell volumizing.

BCAA's are a waste of money. Protein contains AAA's (ALL the amino acids) - so just get your 1.6-2.4g/kg a day and be done.

Raw Dynamix and True Nutrition are the best bang for buck protein suppliers - any "name brand" with a fancy label, is over-priced.

You need to be in a caloric surplus to build muscle (depending on your training length time, you *may* be able to do what is called "Recomping" at maintenance calories, but it is slower. But the longer you've been training, and the leaner you are, the more you need a surplus of a few hundred kcals. Really new, and fat people can add muscle in a deficit (built in energy store from all the fat).

Don't go by that gym scale, odds are it is Bio-electrical impedance (BIA) and not very accurate. Hydration levels affect it greatly. The only thing that some gyms have that is 'ok' - is a machine called a BodPod, but that has an error as well. But as long as you use the same one all the time, you can track the trend and not the absolute number. Just use a tape measure around the gut and go by the mirror. step on a digital scale once every 2 weeks. If the scale is going up, but the tape measure is going down - you are good. A true BF% is best obtained from a DXA scanner or under water weighing. Check Colleges in your area.

Last edited by Polypro; 13 July 2018 at 09:48.
Old 13 July 2018, 09:47
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike76233 View Post
I have a question about deadlifting as I've heard a few different ideas on this. Currently I'm lifting 225 lbs about 8 or 10 reps my first set and about 5 or 6 reps on the subsequent sets. I'm doing between 3-5 sets depending on my energy level. I only deadlift once every week or week and a half. Is this enough or would it benefit me to deadlift 2 or more times a week?
Deadlifting is very taxing to the CNS (this obviously depends on the intensity (weight on the bar)). It depends on what you are trying to get out of it - you want to increase your strength, or are you looking for some type of metabolic conditioning from it? If the latter, you can do it more often - but if you are trying to increase strength (never going under ~80% 1 RM) I would stick to once a week. I posted some loading patterns somewhere on here - I do those once a week.
Old 14 July 2018, 00:20
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Deadlifting is very taxing to the CNS (this obviously depends on the intensity (weight on the bar)). It depends on what you are trying to get out of it - you want to increase your strength, or are you looking for some type of metabolic conditioning from it? If the latter, you can do it more often - but if you are trying to increase strength (never going under ~80% 1 RM) I would stick to once a week. I posted some loading patterns somewhere on here - I do those once a week.
Thank you for the response. I'm deadlifting purely for strength reasons. I'll keep doing it once a week. I'll look back and find the loading patterns you posted and take it from there. Much appreciated.

Our new posting rules