Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > International Jobs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 29 January 2018, 23:14
Halfskegg Halfskegg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: OR
Posts: 5
Pay Rate Question for TS/SCI

What are the typical rates for OCONUS security jobs that require a TS/SCI?

Is there a big difference between static and mobile, rate-wise?

I've heard 700-1,000/day is reasonable.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 29 January 2018, 23:25
Purple36's Avatar
Purple36 Purple36 is offline
Swimming Upstream
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: East Coast
Posts: 9,330
There sure aren't a whole lotta positions requiring a TS/SCI.
__________________
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 30 January 2018, 01:14
SpudWrench SpudWrench is offline
micro-aggressive
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OCONUS
Posts: 991
What's more likely is you'll have a TS, but find a job that only requires (and pays you for) an S.
Take what you can get, it's only a number on a badge.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 30 January 2018, 08:52
MedicFL MedicFL is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: OCONUS
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfskegg View Post
What are the typical rates for OCONUS security jobs that require a TS/SCI?

Is there a big difference between static and mobile, rate-wise?

I've heard 700-1,000/day is reasonable.
Unless you're doing CI, Medic, PM, DPMO, or some kind of other specialist type position those numbers are high anymore.. Probably more in the 500-700 range max...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 30 January 2018, 10:52
275RLTW's Avatar
275RLTW 275RLTW is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 544
If you’re qualified for and interested in those jobs then the recruiter will discuss the pay with you after you complete appropriate NDAs. Those who have those jobs currently don’t post their pay (or anything about their job) on a forum.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 30 January 2018, 13:34
Sharky's Avatar
Sharky Sharky is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: SOCNET
Posts: 19,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
There sure aren't a whole lotta positions requiring a TS/SCI.
You would be very surprised at how many State Dept requires. Almost none of them are justifiable to require TS, but that's what they want. Then they take a year to process their own TS (no reciprocity) and simultaneously bitch at the company because the positions aren't filled. Insanity. It's like the guy behind the wheel with a foot on the brake screaming at the guy in the passenger seat that the car is going too slow.
__________________
I was born my papa's son
When I hit the ground I was on the run
I had one glad hand and the other behind
You can have yours, just give me mine
When the hound dog barkin' in the black of the night
Stick my hand in my pocket, everything's all right

-ZZ Top
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 30 January 2018, 13:49
275RLTW's Avatar
275RLTW 275RLTW is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
You would be very surprised at how many State Dept requires. Almost none of them are justifiable to require TS, but that's what they want. Then they take a year to process their own TS (no reciprocity) and simultaneously bitch at the company because the positions aren't filled. Insanity. It's like the guy behind the wheel with a foot on the brake screaming at the guy in the passenger seat that the car is going too slow.
That is the best description of State I have ever heard.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 30 January 2018, 17:22
Purple36's Avatar
Purple36 Purple36 is offline
Swimming Upstream
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: East Coast
Posts: 9,330
Ah yeah, I totally forgot about DOS!
__________________
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 30 January 2018, 17:57
gavin's Avatar
gavin gavin is offline
Unemployed Stunt Double
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: PNW
Posts: 6,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275RLTW View Post
That is the best description of State I have ever heard.
Isn't their motto "We're passive-aggressive no we're not!"
__________________
Life’s barely long enough to get good at one thing. So be careful what you get good at.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 30 January 2018, 19:17
MixedLoad's Avatar
MixedLoad MixedLoad is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: NORCAL
Posts: 8,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Isn't their motto "We're passive-aggressive no we're not!"
Or alternatively:

"Watch me build this school that my 16 predecessors failed to get done because they weren't as smart as me..."
__________________
“Suaviter in modo, fortiter in re"

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 30 January 2018, 20:18
Massgrunt's Avatar
Massgrunt Massgrunt is offline
Policeman Officer
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Day shift.
Posts: 12,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Or alternatively:

"Watch me build this school that my 16 predecessors failed to get done because they weren't as smart as me..."
Or "I don't even need you guys, they know I'm here to help." Same person: "If you stop shooting at them they'll stop shooting at you!"

Oh and not DOS but "Hey this place sells the same exact brand of American cement we're using to build the school here."
__________________
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 30 January 2018, 20:43
MixedLoad's Avatar
MixedLoad MixedLoad is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: NORCAL
Posts: 8,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Or "I don't even need you guys, they know I'm here to help." Same person: "If you stop shooting at them they'll stop shooting at you!"

Oh and not DOS but "Hey this place sells the same exact brand of American cement we're using to build the school here."
I am dying laughing here. Nothing will beat the $8 MILLION dollar mudshack school that nobody managed to complete.

"The PM's just keep running off with the money. Let's try this again..."
__________________
“Suaviter in modo, fortiter in re"

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 30 January 2018, 20:49
Massgrunt's Avatar
Massgrunt Massgrunt is offline
Policeman Officer
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Day shift.
Posts: 12,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
I am dying laughing here. Nothing will beat the $8 MILLION dollar mudshack school that nobody managed to complete.

"The PM's just keep running off with the money. Let's try this again..."
That spot up north where I worked for a while back in the day, the Iraqi contractor took off for Jordan with his family right after getting some huge, incredibly naive payment up front. I can only imagine his amazement when he slowly realized they were actually going for it.

Oh and the concrete thing is a specific conversation that actually happened, but it was my buddy pointing it out to the client. They're driving by some little LN "store" on the way to the site visit and there's a bunch of the concrete sitting out front, the exact kind they've just supplied and that you didn't see anywhere else. The client was like "oh come on you don't know it's ours."
__________________
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth

Last edited by Massgrunt; 30 January 2018 at 20:58.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 31 January 2018, 10:10
Guy's Avatar
Guy Guy is offline
#AllLionsMatter
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: CONUS @ the moment
Posts: 13,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
Or alternatively:

"Watch me build this school that my 16 predecessors failed to get done because they weren't as smart as me..."
Or, projects that existed only on paper...

Or, no blueprints for the construction site...

Shit wasn't funny when we would come back with photos from the GigaPan...
__________________
Quote:
Education is acquired through the formal institutions like school, colleges, and universities, whereas knowledge is gained from the real-life experiences.
Quote:
Education is all about gaining theoretical knowledge in the classroom or any institution. Training is a way to develop specific skills, whereas education is a typical system of learning.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 31 January 2018, 12:29
MixedLoad's Avatar
MixedLoad MixedLoad is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: NORCAL
Posts: 8,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Or, projects that existed only on paper...

Or, no blueprints for the construction site...

Shit wasn't funny when we would come back with photos from the GigaPan...
I can't count the number of times during the 2.5 years I was with State that I just laughed out loud.

One time I had the audacity to tell the SES that it may be a better strategy to give out the money in phases of accomplished work. He goes "Well...THAT'S NOT HOW WE WORK!"

I said "I can see that" and walked back to my car.
__________________
“Suaviter in modo, fortiter in re"

"Operator much like rock and roll, is dead." - ClearedHot
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 1 February 2018, 03:44
SpudWrench SpudWrench is offline
micro-aggressive
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OCONUS
Posts: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedLoad View Post
One time I had the audacity to tell the SES that it may be a better strategy to give out the money in phases of accomplished work. He goes "Well...THAT'S NOT HOW WE WORK!"
You'd be happy to know that's how I'm managing my projects now. Also no more "Design on a Dime" engineering. I have to approve their designs before they even get to sit at the table.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 1 February 2018, 10:02
Guy's Avatar
Guy Guy is offline
#AllLionsMatter
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: CONUS @ the moment
Posts: 13,183
Red face LOL @ the concrete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
Oh and the concrete thing is a specific conversation that actually happened, but it was my buddy pointing it out to the client. They're driving by some little LN "store" on the way to the site visit and there's a bunch of the concrete sitting out front, the exact kind they've just supplied and that you didn't see anywhere else. The client was like "oh come on you don't know it's ours."
Hey buddy, there's a reason I gave you those rubber boots when pouring concrete...However, if don't want too use them, more power to you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed.jpg (17.3 KB, 268 views)
__________________
Quote:
Education is acquired through the formal institutions like school, colleges, and universities, whereas knowledge is gained from the real-life experiences.
Quote:
Education is all about gaining theoretical knowledge in the classroom or any institution. Training is a way to develop specific skills, whereas education is a typical system of learning.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 1 February 2018, 16:36
Massgrunt's Avatar
Massgrunt Massgrunt is offline
Policeman Officer
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Day shift.
Posts: 12,012
I thought those were for tea.
__________________
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 3 February 2018, 02:15
SpudWrench SpudWrench is offline
micro-aggressive
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: OCONUS
Posts: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Hey buddy, there's a reason I gave you those rubber boots when pouring concrete...However, if don't want too use them, more power to you.
We could (and probably should) start a whole thread dedicated to Turd World construction fails.
I recall showing someone how to operate a concrete saw, when pink goo starting oozing out of the cut line. I thought that I hit a Graboid or something - turns out I had hit a flip flop that had gotten into the mix during pouring. I wish I could say that was the only flip flop that I cut or drilled into on that job. Africa, 2010.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 5 February 2018, 09:37
doitforjonny doitforjonny is offline
pumpin gas and kickin ass
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: California
Posts: 774
Oh let's not leave it with just construction - it's not every country that sends out their 22 year old females to negotiate million dollar contracts with the 60 year old violent misogynistic tribal chief that then tries to negotiate with her security guards because, well, you can't seriously expect him to negotiate with their property they are rudely bringing to the business transaction, can you?

Our diplomats, ever on the bleeding edge of cultural awareness.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Our new posting rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:13.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved
SOCNET